Old 01-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

Default Kernel 3.2.1 woes

On Sunday 22 Jan 2012 21:39:31 Norbert Zeh wrote:
> On my Core i7 Dell Latitude 6510 laptop using the on-chip graphics chip and
> the 1920x1080 laptop screen, everything is fine until I suspend the machine
> to RAM. When resuming, I get a black screen and not even rebooting brings
> the screen back to life. I have to turn the machine off and then back on.

Everything's working fine on my Latitude E5520 (HD3000 on-board GPU) with Linux
3.2.1-1. No problems resuming from suspend.

Paul

Old 01-23-2012, 11:51 AM
朱格宏

于 2012年01月23日 17:49, Paul Gideon Dann 写道:

On my Core i7 Dell Latitude 6510 laptop using the on-chip graphics chip and
the 1920x1080 laptop screen, everything is fine until I suspend the machine
to RAM. When resuming, I get a black screen and not even rebooting brings
the screen back to life. I have to turn the machine off and then back on.

Everything's working fine on my Latitude E5520 (HD3000 on-board GPU) with Linux
3.2.1-1. No problems resuming from suspend.

Paul

Dell Latitude D630 work fine in Kernel 3.2.1-1

Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Norbert Zeh

fredbezies [2012.01.23 0736 +0100]:
> 2012/1/23 Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca>
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > just a heads up (and maybe request for feedback whether anybody has seen
> > similar
> > issues with this kernel upgrade). The recent upgrade from kernel 3.1.9 to
> > 3.2.1
> > produced two graphics-related issues:
> >
> > On my dual-Opteron Asus board with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460, the X server
> > fails
> > to start and says that it cannot initialize the device at PCI 4:0:0 (i.e.,
> > my
> > NVIDIA card). Downgrading to 3.1.9 fixes this issue.
> >
> > On my Core i7 Dell Latitude 6510 laptop using the on-chip graphics chip
> > and the
> > 1920x1080 laptop screen, everything is fine until I suspend the machine to
> > RAM.
> > When resuming, I get a black screen and not even rebooting brings the
> > screen
> > back to life. I have to turn the machine off and then back on.
> >
> > In contrast, my Core i7 desktop at home with an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 450
> > works just
> > fine with the 3.2.1 kernel.
> >
> > I'm in the process of bisecting these issues (currently working on the
> > laptop
> > issue). I remember that back in the kernel 2.6.3x days, it took a long
> > time for
> > the Dell 6510 with 1920x1080 display and Intel graphics to boot without a
> > black
> > screen at all, and I seem to recall that this was because the patch that
> > made it
> > work apparently didn't do what it was supposed to do "right". Maybe they
> > now
> > found a way to do it right, only it doesn't work, at least after a suspend.
> >
> > Note that, even though I get a black screen after suspending, the machine
> > is
> > otherwise alive, as I can blindly switch to a TTY and reboot the machine
> > cleanly
> > from there. Bisecting is proving a bit painful because quite a few
> > intermediate
> > versions I'm testing result in a straight kernel panic after suspend.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Norbert
> >
> > --
> >
> > () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> > / www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments
> >

> Erh... Did you blacklist nouveau on your laptop or not ? Just a guess of
> course, cause it looks like a kmod bug I saw when it was in testing...

No. I may be wrong, but I don't think this is needed here because the laptop
has an Intel graphics chip. On the two NVIDIA boxes, nouveau is blacklisted. I
really think this is a kernel regression because everything works as it should
with 3.1.9 but not with 3.2.1. Apart from switching the kernel, I didn't touch
any settings and the systems are fully up to date.

- Norbert

Old 01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Michael Holmes

I can't reproduce either bug on 3.2.1, latest NVIDIA drivers, GTX 460 1 GB.
Are you sure the binary NVIDIA driver got rebuilt?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Norbert Zeh

Michael Holmes [2012.01.23 1352 +0000]:
> I can't reproduce either bug on 3.2.1, latest NVIDIA drivers, GTX 460 1 GB.
> Are you sure the binary NVIDIA driver got rebuilt?

I'm not sure, and this is something I should certainly try. However, along with
the upgrade from 3.1.9 to 3.2.1 came an nvidia package upgrade from 290.10-1 to
290.10-2. Since the only difference is the arch package release number and the
fact that 290.10-1 requires a kernel version < 3.2 and 290.10-2 requires a
kernel version >= 3.2, I would think the 290.10-2 package is simply a rebuilt of
this package against the new kernel.

As I said, I don't see any issues on my Core i7 box with NVIDIA graphics, and
the setups of these two boxes in terms of installed packages and configuration
is pretty much identical. So I really think there's something going on with
this dual-Opteron board at the kernel level, but I should certainly rule out the
simple fixes first.

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Don Juan

[...]

@Norbert
Do you have any shutdown or reboot issues? I have a similar setup to you
only laptop, but if I run the nvidia driver X either gives a red screen
when I try and shutdown or reboot, or just hangs with a cursor blinking.
Just curious.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Norbert Zeh

Don Juan [2012.01.23 1521 -0800]:
> @Norbert
> Do you have any shutdown or reboot issues? I have a similar setup to
> you only laptop, but if I run the nvidia driver X either gives a red
> screen when I try and shutdown or reboot, or just hangs with a
> cursor blinking. Just curious.

No, I don't have any such issues...well, in part I don't even get that far.

Laptop/intel graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine, as long as I don't suspend
to RAM. After suspend to RAM, screen backlight is on, but screen remains black
until turning the machine off. Apart from the screen issue, the machine seems
to behave fine.

Opteron desktop/NVIDIA graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine. With 3.1.9
kernel, everything works as expected. With 3.2.1 kernel, I don't even get as
far as starting X.

i7 desktop/NVIDIA graphics: Everything works as expected with both kernel
versions.

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Peter Lewis

On Monday 23 Jan 2012 21:53:25 Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Laptop/intel graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine, as long as I don't
> suspend to RAM. After suspend to RAM, screen backlight is on, but screen
> remains black until turning the machine off. Apart from the screen issue,
> the machine seems to behave fine.

I get exactly the same behaviour on my laptop (Core i7, integrated Intel
graphics).

Did you figure it out?

Pete.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Norbert Zeh

Peter Lewis [2012.01.25 0919 +0000]:
> On Monday 23 Jan 2012 21:53:25 Norbert Zeh wrote:
> > Laptop/intel graphics: Boots/reboots/halts all fine, as long as I don't
> > suspend to RAM. After suspend to RAM, screen backlight is on, but screen
> > remains black until turning the machine off. Apart from the screen issue,
> > the machine seems to behave fine.
>
> I get exactly the same behaviour on my laptop (Core i7, integrated Intel
> graphics).
>
> Did you figure it out?

It's a time-consuming process. First result I got is that somewhere along the
way, a commit changed processor initialization after resuming. It tries to
avoid some unnecessary work. The problem is: with the "unnecessary work"
(before this commit) it worked; after it, I get a kernel panic. Right now I
know a point in the commit sequence where I get a kernel panic and a point where
I get the black screen issue. I don't know whether there was a stage in between
where there is no panic and no black screen. I have about 300 commits left to
bisect, and I'll see whether I can finish bisecting this tonight (recompiling
and testing the kernel about log 300 = 9 times).

I don't have the expertise to fix this, but I want to know exactly where the bug
was introduced, in order to provide useful information in my bug report to the
kernel developers. Overall, I have the feeling that the 3.2.X kernel line
introduced a number of regressions and is of much lower quality than the 3.1.X
line. With 3.1.X, everything worked flawlessly. In addition to my graphics
woes with 3.2.1, I also found that my intel wireless card starts misbehaving at
times with 3.2.1, which it never did/does with any of the 3.1.X kernels.

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Chris Cooper

Have you figured this out? I have an issue that is similar, that may be related.

When using an external display, my laptop screen is no longer usable since
upgrading to 3.2.x from 3.1.x.
I've tried using xrandr to turn it on with no luck, the mouse will go off
the screen as if it is moved over to that display but the display will
not come on.
This problem happened right after the upgrade to 3.2.x for me.