Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Karol Babioch

Default Upgrade of bluez breaks A2DP?

Hi,

I've recently upgraded bluez from version 4.96 to 4.97 and a few days
later to 4.98. When trying to use my Bluetooth headset (Sennheiser MM
550) I realized that it doesn't work anymore. Using gnome-bluetooth I
can in fact discover my headset and even connect to it, but it doesn't
get listed in the audio section where it normally can be found.
Consequently I can't redirect any sound to it.

When downgrading to version 4.96 it works like expected. As I'm only
using gnome-bluetooth I can't really say whether it is a problem with
bluez itself, or whether gnome-bluetooth doesn't support the newer
versions of bluez at this point in time.

Furthermore I'm not that experienced with using hcitool and its
relatives, so it may well be that I'm missing something here.

It seems just to affect A2DP, because my Bluetooth mouse works still
like a charm.

However I wanted to make sure whether anyone has experienced something
similar after the upgrades? I couldn't find any bug reports so far about
this, so is there anything I could have missed? Or am I the only one
using a Bluetooth headset on a regular basis ?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
C Anthony Risinger

On Jan 22, 2012 4:53 PM, "Karol Babioch" <karol@babioch.de> wrote:

> However I wanted to make sure whether anyone has experienced something
> similar after the upgrades? I couldn't find any bug reports so far about
> this, so is there anything I could have missed? Or am I the only one
> using a Bluetooth headset on a regular basis ?

I have same issue with my Sony DR-BT50 headset ... I can conmect/etc just
fine, but pulse doesn't see a sound device.

I restarted pulse (possibly another components too) and at one point I got
the headset to show in the device list, but still not the available
outputs. Gnome/pulse settings dialog segfaulted a few times too ... so not
sure what's causing what ... but like you only A2DP is affected.

--

C Anthony [mobile]

Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me> wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2012 4:53 PM, "Karol Babioch" <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
>>
>> However I wanted to make sure whether anyone has experienced something
>> similar after the upgrades? I couldn't find any bug reports so far about
>> this, so is there anything I could have missed? Or am I the only one
>> using a Bluetooth headset on a regular basis ?
>
> I have same issue with my Sony DR-BT50 headset ... I can conmect/etc just
> fine, but pulse doesn't see a sound device.
>
> I restarted pulse (possibly another components too) and at one point I got
> the headset to show in the device list, but still not the available
> outputs. *Gnome/pulse settings dialog segfaulted a few times too ... so not
> sure what's causing what ... but like you only A2DP is affected.

For coincidence, I've had that too, but found the solution on
bluetooth wiki page.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#My_device_is_paired_but_no_sound_is_play ed_from_it
Basically, you should add

Enable=Socket

in General section of /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf.

Hope that helps.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555

Old 01-23-2012, 03:57 AM
C Anthony Risinger

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
<denisfalqueto@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me> wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2012 4:53 PM, "Karol Babioch" <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> However I wanted to make sure whether anyone has experienced something
>>> similar after the upgrades? I couldn't find any bug reports so far about
>>> this, so is there anything I could have missed? Or am I the only one
>>> using a Bluetooth headset on a regular basis ?
>>
>> I have same issue with my Sony DR-BT50 headset ... I can conmect/etc just
>> fine, but pulse doesn't see a sound device.
>>
>> I restarted pulse (possibly another components too) and at one point I got
>> the headset to show in the device list, but still not the available
>> outputs. *Gnome/pulse settings dialog segfaulted a few times too ... so not
>> sure what's causing what ... but like you only A2DP is affected.
>
> For coincidence, I've had that too, but found the solution on
> bluetooth wiki page.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bluetooth#My_device_is_paired_but_no_sound_is_play ed_from_it
> Basically, you should add
>
> Enable=Socket
>
> in General section of /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf.
>
> Hope that helps.

nice ... it did help, about as much as it possibly could have :-)

i hadn't gotten around to looking for a solution yet -- saved me the
trouble -- thanks for the tip! much appreciated.

--

C Anthony

Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 23.01.2012 01:45, schrieb Denis A. Altoé Falqueto:
> Basically, you should add
>
> Enable=Socket
>
> in General section of /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf.
>
> Hope that helps.

that did indeed the trick and it's working once again, so thank you very
much for the hint. Probably saved me a lot of time .

However I'm wondering whether this should be considered as bug? A look
at the changelog for versions 4.97 and 4.98 doesn't tell me anything
about a change in the default configuration:

ver 4.98:
Fix issue with adapter list upon initialization failure.
Fix issue with missing legacy property for Low Energy.
Fix issue with missing EIR information handling.
Fix issue with device address type tracking.
Fix issue with alert level characteristic.
Fix issue with headset shutdown handling.
Fix issue with Wiimote address handling.
Add support for advanced l2test options.
Add support for attribute protocol and multiple adapters.

ver 4.97:
Update support for proximity profile.
Fix issue with SBC audio decoding quality.
Fix multiple issues with HFP support.
Fix multiple issues with A2DP support.
Fix multiple issues with AVDTP support.
Fix multiple issues with AVRCP support.
Add support for AVRCP meta-data transfer.
Add support for Bluetooth based thermometers.

As it has concerned both of you as well, maybe we should file a bug?
Because I'm not sure whether this is intentional or not, but the idea
that we have to change some configuration in order to get basic A2DP
working sucks.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Karol Babioch <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
> As it has concerned both of you as well, maybe we should file a bug?
> Because I'm not sure whether this is intentional or not, but the idea
> that we have to change some configuration in order to get basic A2DP
> working sucks.

I agree, of course. But I couldn't find the bug tracker for bluez on its site.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 24.01.2012 16:09, schrieb Denis A. Altoé Falqueto:
> I agree, of course. But I couldn't find the bug tracker for bluez on its site.

Well, it seems they are using the mailing lists for that kind of things.
I'll subscribe to it and try to mention our problems with it.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

I've managed to get some attention at the linux-bluetooth mailing list
and it seems that this is a bug in Arch, see [1]. More specifically the
provided PulseAudio package doesn't work as it should.

Basically the default configuration was changed, so with 4.97 and higher
no sockets are used any more, but it should be detected by D-Bus
automatically.

As the discussion is hopefully still going on, I'm waiting before filing
any bug. We will see where this thing is going.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=132751736005767&w=2

Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Karol Babioch <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> things got sorted out . As said they changed the way the bluetooth
> subsystem talks to PulseAudio (using D-Bus instead of sockets). However
> they forgotten to change some of the code. There is a fix, which can be
> found under [1], which works just fine. This should be included into the
> next upstream release.
>
> Until then you'll have to patch it manually. I'm attaching a diff file
> of the appropriate PKGBUILD, as well as the "diff.patch", which patches
> the BlueZ sources.
>
> Thanks for your replies, which reinforced my conception of this being a
> bug in the first place .
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch
>
> [1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-bluetooth&m=132759819329771&w=2

Amazing job, Karol! Thanks for that!

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
<denisfalqueto@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for your replies, which reinforced my conception of this being a
>> bug in the first place .

And now just to confirm the fix works beautifully. Thanks again.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.