Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Jan Steffens

Default Intel AES-NI instructions error

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just noticed today after a fresh reboot that whenever my laptop connects
> now wirelessly, I get a new message in dmesg saying:
> Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected.
>
> Figuring was a bad boot or something along those lines I tried a couple more
> reboots, to no avail. It is still mentioning this once I connect to wifi,
> does not show up if I just leave the machine running not wirelessly
> connected.
>
> From what I read online nothing seems to be relating to wifi, most things I
> have read is to attach quiet to the boot commands and that would solve it,
> well I already have quiet and it does not show up during boot its only once
> the wifi card is used. I could not find anything that appeared to be similar
> or related. Does anyone know why this error is now showing up? Everything is
> updated right before I rebooted the last time, the only things that changed
> today for me were gnutils and another x-keyboard config update. Should I be
> worried about this or?
>
> Thanks for any help and info

This is just an informational message about your CPU's capabilities
(or lack of them), not an error.
In this case, specialized AES instructions are not available, so the
code uses the more compatible (but slower) path.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Don Juan

I just noticed today after a fresh reboot that whenever my laptop connects
now wirelessly, I get a new message in dmesg saying:
Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected.

Figuring was a bad boot or something along those lines I tried a couple more
reboots, to no avail. It is still mentioning this once I connect to wifi,
does not show up if I just leave the machine running not wirelessly
connected.

From what I read online nothing seems to be relating to wifi, most things I
have read is to attach quiet to the boot commands and that would solve it,
well I already have quiet and it does not show up during boot its only once
the wifi card is used. I could not find anything that appeared to be similar
or related. Does anyone know why this error is now showing up? Everything is
updated right before I rebooted the last time, the only things that changed
today for me were gnutils and another x-keyboard config update. Should I be
worried about this or?

Thanks for any help and info

This is just an informational message about your CPU's capabilities
(or lack of them), not an error.
In this case, specialized AES instructions are not available, so the
code uses the more compatible (but slower) path.
OK thanks, just weird it just started showing up, never use to see this
before until either todays or yesterdays updates, so I was making sure
it was nothing to worry about.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:42:51 -0800
Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/20/2012 03:40 PM, Jan Steffens wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM, Don Juan<donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I just noticed today after a fresh reboot that whenever my laptop connects
> >> now wirelessly, I get a new message in dmesg saying:
> >> Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected.
> >>
> >> Figuring was a bad boot or something along those lines I tried a couple
> >> more reboots, to no avail. It is still mentioning this once I connect to
> >> wifi, does not show up if I just leave the machine running not wirelessly
> >> connected.
> >>
> >> From what I read online nothing seems to be relating to wifi, most
> >> things I have read is to attach quiet to the boot commands and that would
> >> solve it, well I already have quiet and it does not show up during boot
> >> its only once the wifi card is used. I could not find anything that
> >> appeared to be similar or related. Does anyone know why this error is now
> >> showing up? Everything is updated right before I rebooted the last time,
> >> the only things that changed today for me were gnutils and another
> >> x-keyboard config update. Should I be worried about this or?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help and info
> > This is just an informational message about your CPU's capabilities
> > (or lack of them), not an error.
> > In this case, specialized AES instructions are not available, so the
> > code uses the more compatible (but slower) path.
> OK thanks, just weird it just started showing up, never use to see this
> before until either todays or yesterdays updates, so I was making sure
> it was nothing to worry about.

Are you using WPA wifi and what driver? For me, this message appears each time
I connect to a WPA2 AP (intel 5100agn) since ~ 2.6.35...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 01-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Don Juan

I just noticed today after a fresh reboot that whenever my laptop connects
now wirelessly, I get a new message in dmesg saying:
Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected.

Figuring was a bad boot or something along those lines I tried a couple
more reboots, to no avail. It is still mentioning this once I connect to
wifi, does not show up if I just leave the machine running not wirelessly
connected.

From what I read online nothing seems to be relating to wifi, most
[...]

Yes I am using WPA and I am using rtlwifi, rtl8192se. Maybe I just never
noticed it but I swear its new to me. But to me this confirms that its a
nothing message. Maybe something upstream changed with rtlwifi or
rtl8192se, I know there is lots of working being pushed for those 2 drivers.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 AM
Don Juan

I just noticed today after a fresh reboot that whenever my laptop connects
now wirelessly, I get a new message in dmesg saying:
Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected.

Figuring was a bad boot or something along those lines I tried a couple
more reboots, to no avail. It is still mentioning this once I connect to
wifi, does not show up if I just leave the machine running not wirelessly
connected.

From what I read online nothing seems to be relating to wifi, most
[...]

Now after the change to kmod from the most recent update I no longer get
the AES message when wifi is used nor do I get it at any other time?
Guess it sorted itself out or no longer gets displayed. Now off to see
whats up with udevd on boot