FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
"Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista"
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

recently bought a Lenovo G470 notebook, I installed tp_smapi triggers
to change the start and end of the battery charge, the following error
when trying to load the module.

modprobe tp_smapi

# tp_smapi.ko.gz no such file

I've installed linux-headers and in / lib / modules / kernel-version
there is a file that says missing command when loading the module

Atts,

Paulo Roberto

AVISO LEGAL
...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
de representação.

LEGAL ADVICE
...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
powers, shall be null or void.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Jelle van der Waa
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On 18/01/12 15:37, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
> recently bought a Lenovo G470 notebook, I installed tp_smapi triggers
> to change the start and end of the battery charge, the following error
> when trying to load the module.
>
> modprobe tp_smapi
>
> # tp_smapi.ko.gz no such file
>
> I've installed linux-headers and in / lib / modules / kernel-version
> there is a file that says missing command when loading the module
>
> Atts,
>
> Paulo Roberto
>
> AVISO LEGAL
> ...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
> é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
> privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
> fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
> ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
> por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
> pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
> eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
> de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
> contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
> de representação.
>
> LEGAL ADVICE
> ...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
> directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
> information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
> are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
> the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
> you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
> making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
> of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
> bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
> powers, shall be null or void.
Rebuild your AUR package. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3985

--
Jelle van der Waa
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:13 PM
"Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista"
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

Same error

[paulo@G470 tp_smapi]$ makepkg -sf
==> WARNING: Sudo can not be found. Will use su to acquire root privileges.
==> Making package: tp_smapi 0.41-2 (Wed Jan 18 09:10:50 BRT 2012)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
-> Found tp_smapi-0.41.tar.gz
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
tp_smapi-0.41.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
tp_smapi-0.41.tar.gz ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
-> Extracting tp_smapi-0.41.tar.gz with bsdtar
==> Removing existing pkg/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
make -C /lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/build
M=/home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41
O=/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/build modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 3 modules
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting package()...
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/hdaps.ko
INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/thinkpad_ec.ko
INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/tp_smapi.ko
DEPMOD 3.1.9-2-ARCH
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
==> Tidying install...
-> Purging unwanted files...
-> Compressing man and info pages...
-> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package...
-> Generating .PKGINFO file...
-> Adding install file...
-> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: tp_smapi 0.41-2 (Wed Jan 18 09:10:52 BRT 2012)
[paulo@G470 tp_smapi]$

root@G470 tp_smapi]# modprobe tp_smapi
FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
(/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/tp_smapi.ko.gz): No such
device
[root@G470 tp_smapi]#

[root@G470 tp_smapi]# uname -a
Linux G470 3.1.9-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 14 09:11:37 CET 2012
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
[root@G470 tp_smapi]#
[root@G470 tp_smapi]# pacman -Qi tp_smapi
Name : tp_smapi
Version : 0.41-2
URL : http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/
Licenses : GPL
Groups : None
Provides : None
Depends On : linux
Optional Deps : None
Required By : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 44.00 KiB
Packager : Unknown Packager
Architecture : x86_64
Build Date : Wed Jan 18 09:10:52 2012
Install Date : Wed Jan 18 09:11:04 2012
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : Yes
Description : Modules for ThinkPad's SMAPI functionality

[root@G470 tp_smapi]#
[root@G470 tp_smapi]# pacman -Qi linux-headers
Name : linux-headers
Version : 3.1.9-2
URL : http://www.kernel.org/
Licenses : GPL2
Groups : None
Provides : kernel26-headers
Depends On : None
Optional Deps : None
Required By : None
Conflicts With : kernel26-headers
Replaces : kernel26-headers
Installed Size : 44404.00 KiB
Packager : Tobias Powalowski <tpowa@archlinux.org>
Architecture : x86_64
Build Date : Sat Jan 14 05:29:21 2012
Install Date : Tue Jan 17 22:10:34 2012
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Description : Header files and scripts for building modules for linux kernel

[root@G470 tp_smapi]#
[root@G470 tp_smapi]# ls -l /lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/
total 184
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7766 Jan 18 09:10 hdaps.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4568 Jan 18 09:10 thinkpad_ec.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11810 Jan 18 09:10 tp_smapi.ko.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 121384 Jan 17 22:12 vboxdrv.ko.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4295 Jan 17 22:12 vboxnetadp.ko.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 12271 Jan 17 22:12 vboxnetflt.ko.gz
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 10646 Jan 17 22:12 vboxpci.ko.gz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13 Jan 14 05:20 version
[root@G470 tp_smapi]#



Atts,

Paulo Roberto

AVISO LEGAL
...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
de representação.

LEGAL ADVICE
...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
powers, shall be null or void.



On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Jelle van der Waa <jelle@vdwaa.nl> wrote:
> On 18/01/12 15:37, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
>> recently bought a Lenovo G470 notebook, I installed tp_smapi triggers
>> to change the start and end of the battery charge, the following error
>> when trying to load the module.
>>
>> modprobe tp_smapi
>>
>> # tp_smapi.ko.gz no such file
>>
>> I've installed linux-headers and in / lib / modules / kernel-version
>> there is a file that says missing command when loading the module
>>
>> Atts,
>>
>> Paulo Roberto
>>
>> AVISO LEGAL
>> ...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
>> é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
>> privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
>> fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
>> ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
>> por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
>> pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
>> eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
>> de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
>> contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
>> de representação.
>>
>> LEGAL ADVICE
>> ...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
>> directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
>> information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
>> are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
>> the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
>> you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
>> making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
>> of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
>> bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
>> powers, shall be null or void.
> Rebuild your AUR package. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=3985
>
> --
> Jelle van der Waa
>
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Martti Kühne
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:13:31PM -0300, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
> ==> Entering fakeroot environment...
> ==> Starting package()...
> make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
> INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/hdaps.ko
> INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/thinkpad_ec.ko
> INSTALL /home/paulo/builds/tp_smapi/src/tp_smapi-0.41/tp_smapi.ko
> DEPMOD 3.1.9-2-ARCH

Wtf? don't you want to put that stuff into $pkgdir?



> make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-3.1.9-2-ARCH'
> ==> Tidying install...
> -> Purging unwanted files...
> -> Compressing man and info pages...
> -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
> ==> Creating package...
> -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
> -> Adding install file...
> -> Compressing package...
> ==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
> ==> Finished making: tp_smapi 0.41-2 (Wed Jan 18 09:10:52 BRT 2012)
> [paulo@G470 tp_smapi]$
>
> root@G470 tp_smapi]# modprobe tp_smapi
> FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
> (/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/tp_smapi.ko.gz): No such
> device
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]#
>
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]# uname -a
> Linux G470 3.1.9-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 14 09:11:37 CET 2012
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]#
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]# pacman -Qi tp_smapi

Actually, pacman -Ql would have been slightly more informative to find out
what files were installed with the package

> [root@G470 tp_smapi]# pacman -Qi linux-headers
> Name : linux-headers

What should this info be good for?

> [root@G470 tp_smapi]# ls -l /lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/
> total 184
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7766 Jan 18 09:10 hdaps.ko.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4568 Jan 18 09:10 thinkpad_ec.ko.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11810 Jan 18 09:10 tp_smapi.ko.gz
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 121384 Jan 17 22:12 vboxdrv.ko.gz
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 4295 Jan 17 22:12 vboxnetadp.ko.gz
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 12271 Jan 17 22:12 vboxnetflt.ko.gz
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 root root 10646 Jan 17 22:12 vboxpci.ko.gz
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13 Jan 14 05:20 version
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]#
>

There has been talk this path had changed somehow. Let me check for you...
link: [1] If you follow the new info and check -Ql you'll be able to solve your
problem.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.arch.general/38464
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
John K Pate
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:13 -0300, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
> Same error
>
> [paulo@G470 tp_smapi]$ makepkg -sf
<snip>
> root@G470 tp_smapi]# modprobe tp_smapi
> FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
> (/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/tp_smapi.ko.gz): No such
> device
> [root@G470 tp_smapi]#

did you actually install (pacman -U) the rebuilt version?

==
John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/


--
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
"Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista"
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

Yes,
I'm sure this pacman -U

Atts,

Paulo Roberto

AVISO LEGAL
...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
de representação.

LEGAL ADVICE
...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
powers, shall be null or void.



On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:43 PM, John K Pate <j.k.pate@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:13 -0300, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
>> Same error
>>
>> [paulo@G470 tp_smapi]$ makepkg -sf
> <snip>
>> root@G470 tp_smapi]# modprobe tp_smapi
>> FATAL: Error inserting tp_smapi
>> (/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/tp_smapi.ko.gz): No such
>> device
>> [root@G470 tp_smapi]#
>
> did you actually install (pacman -U) the rebuilt version?
>
> ==
> John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/
>
>
> --
> The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
> Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
>
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM, John K Pate <j.k.pate@sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> makepkg -sf

That's a common error - you've only build the package, you still need
to install it :-)
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista
<shellclear@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes,
> I'm sure this pacman -U

Can you check if you have
/lib/modules/3.1.9-2-ARCH/extramodules/tp_smapi.ko.gz file ?
 
Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Jan de Groot
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:43 -0300, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
> Yes,
> I'm sure this pacman -U
>
> Atts,
>
> Paulo Roberto
>
> AVISO LEGAL
<snip>
>
> LEGAL ADVICE
<snip>

Please, when you mail to this list, why do you insert this stupid legal
statement? You're mailing to a public mailinglist that is put into a
public archive which is indexed by google.
Also, please don't top-post, bottom-posting is standard in mailinglist
conversations.

Anyways, to get back on your question: when you modprobe the module, it
says "no such device". That means that the driver is either not suitable
for your hardware, or the driver doesn't support your hardware (yet).
Try to find out by reading "dmesg | tail" output instead of looking for
missing files. Some modules require extra options for this to work.
 
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
"Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista"
 
Default tp_smapi - LENOVO g470

Yes, i did it
Atts,

Paulo Roberto

AVISO LEGAL
...Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente para a(s) pessoa(s) a quem
é dirigida, podendo conter informação confidencial e/ou legalmente
privilegiada. Se você não for destinatário desta mensagem, desde já
fica notificado de abster-se a divulgar, copiar, distribuir, examinar
ou, de qualquer forma, utilizar a informação contida nesta mensagem,
por ser ilegal. Caso você tenha recebido esta mensagem por engano,
pedimos que nos retorne este E-Mail, promovendo, desde logo, a
eliminação do seu conteúdo em sua base de dados, registros ou sistema
de controle. Fica desprovida de eficácia e validade a mensagem que
contiver vínculos obrigacionais, expedida por quem não detenha poderes
de representação.

LEGAL ADVICE
...This message is exclusively destined for the people to whom it is
directed, and it can bear private and/or legally exceptional
information. If you are not addressee of this message, since now you
are advised to not release, copy, distribute, check or, otherwise, use
the information contained in this message, because it is illegal. If
you received this message by mistake, we ask you to return this email,
making possible, as soon as possible, the elimination of its contents
of your database, registrations or controls system. The message that
bears any mandatory links, issued by someone who has no representation
powers, shall be null or void.



On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Jan de Groot <jan@jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 12:43 -0300, Paulo Roberto P. Evangelista wrote:
>> Yes,
>> I'm sure this pacman -U
>>
>> Atts,
>>
>> Paulo Roberto
>>
>> AVISO LEGAL
> <snip>
>>
>> LEGAL ADVICE
> <snip>
>
> Please, when you mail to this list, why do you insert this stupid legal
> statement? You're mailing to a public mailinglist that is put into a
> public archive which is indexed by google.
> Also, please don't top-post, bottom-posting is standard in mailinglist
> conversations.
>
> Anyways, to get back on your question: when you modprobe the module, it
> says "no such device". That means that the driver is either not suitable
> for your hardware, or the driver doesn't support your hardware (yet).
> Try to find out by reading "dmesg | tail" output instead of looking for
> missing files. Some modules require extra options for this to work.
>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:24 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org