Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Clive Cooper

Default Screen blanking

> where is the best place to put " xset -dpms" * i do not want anything telling
> me when to turn the monitors off when i want them off i will turn them off

Not sure if this is any help but to keep the diosplay alive no matter
what I have been using this for a long time.

Create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-xorg.conf
and put this in it...

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

--
Infinity: A concept for those who cannot comprehend the big picture.

() Arch Linux - For movers and shakers. ()

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Chris Sakalis

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Peter G Nikolic
> Hi all
>

> just a quick one this time hopefully * :-) .. *(he says)
>
> where is the best place to put " xset -dpms" * i do not want anything telling
> me when to turn the monitors off when i want them off i will turn them off
>
> At the moment the method i am using to start kde up is
>
> come up in init 3 * login as root * then run kdm and login as my normal user .
> I am going in that way as i still have a few Motherboard *problems *here cant
> replace it till next month
>
> Cheers *Pete .
>
> --
> Powered by *Kernel: 3.1.9-2-ARCH
> KDE Development Platform: 4.7.4 (4.7.4)
> *10:11:51 up *2:21, *5 users, *load average: 0.07, 0.15, 0.18

I may be horribly wrong, but did you try System Settings -> Power
Management in KDE?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 17.01.2012 11:58, schrieb Clive Cooper:
>> where is the best place to put " xset -dpms" i do not want anything telling
>> me when to turn the monitors off when i want them off i will turn them off
>
> Not sure if this is any help but to keep the diosplay alive no matter
> what I have been using this for a long time.
>
> Create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-xorg.conf
> and put this in it...
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "BlankTime" "0"
> Option "StandbyTime" "0"
> Option "SuspendTime" "0"
> Option "OffTime" "0"
> EndSection

This is correct. KDE might still enable DPMS again, so you need to make
sure it doesn't touch it.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Peter G Nikolic

On Tuesday 17 Jan 2012 13:14:13 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Am 17.01.2012 11:58, schrieb Clive Cooper:
> >> where is the best place to put " xset -dpms" i do not want anything
> >> telling me when to turn the monitors off when i want them off i will
> >> turn them off>
> > Not sure if this is any help but to keep the diosplay alive no matter
> > what I have been using this for a long time.
> >
> > Create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-xorg.conf
> > and put this in it...
> >
> > Section "ServerFlags"
> >
> > Option "BlankTime" "0"
> > Option "StandbyTime" "0"
> > Option "SuspendTime" "0"
> > Option "OffTime" "0"
> >
> > EndSection
>
> This is correct. KDE might still enable DPMS again, so you need to make
> sure it doesn't touch it.

Hi All ..

Thanks I'll give it a try see what happens althou i have always found the
only surefire way was to use the xset -dpms switch

Pete .