Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Mauro Santos

Default Audio quirks

On 16-01-2012 08:52, Peter Nikolic wrote:

> 1 : no audio from firefox on most sites or absolute full volume with no
> control over it at all ie no sound from youtube but if i download the
> video it is ok or go to another site try "quinton-mc.org.uk/vindex.html"
> just a few car club bits on a test / Play ground HTML5 page tey are all full
> volume and that is a lot when it comes on 4x140 watt .

Do you have alsa-plugins installed? Firefox seems to work fine here on
the page you mention. Mind you that firefox does use an alsa plugin to
output to pulse.

My /etc/asound.conf
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}
ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}
pcm.!default {
type pulse
}
ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

--
Mauro Santos

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:36 +0200, Jesse Jaara wrote:
> Yous hould no't have n eeded to do that. Pulseaudio should only be needed
> by application whick don't do anything without pulseadio. We have libpulse
> package that provides pulseaudio lib for applications linked with PA support
> like mplayer....

Perhaps some KDE app forced Pete to install PA?

I was forced to install it.

GNOME3 force you to install pulseaudio, but at least for my usage it's
not needed, it only cause trouble. I'm not sure if I'll install GNOME3
on my Arch, perhaps I'll test Mate. I used GNOME2 (it was upgraded to 3)
and XFCE with Debian. Currently for my Arch I'm using XFCE only.

For Arch GDM forced me to install PA. I know that there are other login
managers available, but since I guess that I'll install some GNOME apps,
PA might become an issue in the future, so I kept GDM and already
replaced PA by a dummy package.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Peter Nikolic

On Monday 16 Jan 2012 11:02:00 Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 16-01-2012 08:52, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> > 1 : no audio from firefox on most sites or absolute full volume with no
> > control over it at all ie no sound from youtube but if i download
> > the
> > video it is ok or go to another site try
> > "quinton-mc.org.uk/vindex.html" just a few car club bits on a test /
> > Play ground HTML5 page tey are all full volume and that is a lot when
> > it comes on 4x140 watt .
>
> Do you have alsa-plugins installed? Firefox seems to work fine here on
> the page you mention. Mind you that firefox does use an alsa plugin to
> output to pulse.
>
> My /etc/asound.conf
> pcm.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
> ctl.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }

Hi Mauro

My etc/asound.conf conatins the following

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
type pulse
}

# Explicit PulseAudio device
pcm.pulse {
type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
type pulse
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

If this throws any light

Pete .

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.1.9-2-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.7.4 (4.7.4)

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Peter Nikolic

On Monday 16 Jan 2012 12:10:03 Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 11:36 +0200, Jesse Jaara wrote:
> > Yous hould no't have n eeded to do that. Pulseaudio should only be
> > needed
> > by application whick don't do anything without pulseadio. We have
> > libpulse package that provides pulseaudio lib for applications linked
> > with PA support like mplayer....
>
> Perhaps some KDE app forced Pete to install PA?
>
> I was forced to install it.
>
> GNOME3 force you to install pulseaudio, but at least for my usage it's
> not needed, it only cause trouble. I'm not sure if I'll install GNOME3
> on my Arch, perhaps I'll test Mate. I used GNOME2 (it was upgraded to 3)
> and XFCE with Debian. Currently for my Arch I'm using XFCE only.
>
> For Arch GDM forced me to install PA. I know that there are other login
> managers available, but since I guess that I'll install some GNOME apps,
> PA might become an issue in the future, so I kept GDM and already
> replaced PA by a dummy package.

I installed PA because i could not get sound to work with alsa with this darn
thing on the Nvidia card the onboard was easy just disable it in the bios
but the Nvidia HDMI thing is a real invasive pain

Pete .

Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

Only thing you need to do is to set the HDMI and internal cards profiles to
disabled.

On KDE:
1 KDE system setting app
2. Multimedia configuration panel
3. Phonen sub menu
4. 2nd tab (Sound HW) in the phonon settings screen
5. (Sound) card: [for both internal and NVIDIA HDMI]
6. Profile: Disabled/off or what ever it is in your locale or in english...

on other DE/WMs
1. install pavucontrol
2. open pavucontrol
3. follow the KDE stuff from step 4

Old 01-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Mauro Santos

On 16-01-2012 15:10, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> On Monday 16 Jan 2012 11:02:00 Mauro Santos wrote:
>> On 16-01-2012 08:52, Peter Nikolic wrote:
>>> 1 : no audio from firefox on most sites or absolute full volume with no
>>> control over it at all ie no sound from youtube but if i download
>>> the
>>> video it is ok or go to another site try
>>> "quinton-mc.org.uk/vindex.html" just a few car club bits on a test /
>>> Play ground HTML5 page tey are all full volume and that is a lot when
>>> it comes on 4x140 watt .
>>
>> Do you have alsa-plugins installed? Firefox seems to work fine here on
>> the page you mention. Mind you that firefox does use an alsa plugin to
>> output to pulse.
>>
>> My /etc/asound.conf
>> pcm.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>> ctl.pulse {
>> type pulse
>> }
>> pcm.!default {
>> type pulse
>> }
>> ctl.!default {
>> type pulse
>> }
>

> Hi Mauro
>
> My etc/asound.conf conatins the following
>
> # Use PulseAudio by default
> pcm.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
> type pulse
> }
>
> # Explicit PulseAudio device
> pcm.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
>
> ctl.pulse {
> type pulse
> }
>
> # vim:set ft=alsaconf:
>
> If this throws any light
>
> Pete .

Not many ideas here, have you tried with a clean profile (try with a new
user).

I'm using xfce here and it works fine. You should be able to see on
pavucontrol how firefox is producing sound and you should be able to
adjust it. Don't forget to check on your home if you have any
asound.conf too (long shot but worth checking).

--
Mauro Santos

Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Peter Nikolic

On Monday 16 Jan 2012 17:14:30 Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> Only thing you need to do is to set the HDMI and internal cards profiles to
> disabled.
>
> On KDE:
> 1 KDE system setting app
> 2. Multimedia configuration panel
> 3. Phonen sub menu
> 4. 2nd tab (Sound HW) in the phonon settings screen
> 5. (Sound) card: [for both internal and NVIDIA HDMI]
> 6. Profile: Disabled/off or what ever it is in your locale or in
> english...
>
> on other DE/WMs
> 1. install pavucontrol
> 2. open pavucontrol
> 3. follow the KDE stuff from step 4

well i have that set but i still get

the audio device USB does n ot work falling back to falling back to Nvidia
HDMI .

Which is supposed to be disabled

that is when trying to play any of the KDE card / tile type games Mahjongg ,
shieen Sho and the likes

Pete .

Old 01-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 16:36 +0000, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> Which is supposed to be disabled

Did you reboot after blacklisting nvidia sound? Perhaps just unloading
the module won't make hw:1 become hw:0.