Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Peter Nikolic

Default Audio quirks

Hi and morning

Right then with a bit of help most things so far have been solved heres
another one , Audio for the mst works well using PA apart from 2
glitches

1 : no audio from firefox on most sites or absolute full volume with no
control over it at all ie no sound from youtube but if i download the
video it is ok or go to another site try "quinton-mc.org.uk/vindex.html"
just a few car club bits on a test / Play ground HTML5 page tey are all full
volume and that is a lot when it comes on 4x140 watt .

2: I have an Nvidia graphics card GT220 that has HDMI output on it (i dont
use it dont have anything to take HDMI in) but it keeps getting setup as the
primary audio system there is an on board sound card as well that is disabled
(really bad quality) i use an external USB sound card works well for the GBP
19.00 that it cost

Certain games refuse point blank to use the external sound and insist on the
HDMI job how can i stop this the HDMI is turned off every where i can find it
what else do i need to do to remove it from being detected

Pete .

--
Powered by Kernel: 3.1.9-2-ARCH
KDE Development Platform: 4.7.4 (4.7.4)

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Michael Holmes

For #2, try blacklisting the snd-hda-codec-nvidia module.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Jesse Jaara

Alternative use pavucontrol or KDE sound setup windows HW tab to set
the internal and HDMI
cards mode into 'disabled' from '2.0 Stereo output, Stereo Input.' or
what ever it is set for.
This makes sure only the usb card is used, as its the only one PA apps
see as usable then.

No real idea about the 1st one... have you installed pulseadio-alsa
and alsa-plugins ?. I don't
know what is the state of flashplugin our repos, but it might need
lib32-{libpulse,alsa-libs} pkgs
to function propelly whith PA....

--
(\_ /) copy the bunny to your profile
(0.o ) to help him achieve world domination.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 08:52 +0000, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> [snip]
> 2: I have an Nvidia graphics card GT220 that has HDMI output on it (i dont
> use it dont have anything to take HDMI in) but it keeps getting setup as the
> primary audio system there is an on board sound card as well that is disabled
> (really bad quality) i use an external USB sound card works well for the GBP
> 19.00 that it cost
>
> Certain games refuse point blank to use the external sound and insist on the
> HDMI job how can i stop this the HDMI is turned off every where i can find it
> what else do i need to do to remove it from being detected

Hi Pete,

if you want multiple audio interfaces given consistent device numbers by
ALSA you might need to do this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Random_Lack_of_S ound_on_Startup

In the past I did it that way for the Debian based 64Studio:
http://www.64studio.com/faq_user
Take a look at 13., there might be no dmixer being involved.

I had to edit nothing for Arch, the order always is the same:
$ aplay -l
card 0: Default [RME AIO_579bcc], device 0: RME AIO [RME AIO]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: EWX2496 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 2: EWX2496_1 [TerraTec EWX24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712
multi]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Perhaps they are sorted by IRQs, dunno.

OT but you might get a similar issue, if two devices should use the same
driver:
I use the TerraTecs for MIDI only. I didn't make music with Arch until
now, but with Ubuntu I always needed to connect the TerraTecs ALSA MIDI
ports manually, since both have the same name. IIRC for JACK clients
there are alias names, IIRC for ALSA there's a way too.

Hth,

Ralf

Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Michael Holmes

On 16 Jan 2012 09:19, "Jesse Jaara" <jesse.jaara@gmail.com> wrote:

> No real idea about the 1st one... have you installed pulseadio-alsa
> and alsa-plugins ?. I don't
> know what is the state of flashplugin our repos, but it might need
> lib32-{libpulse,alsa-libs} pkgs
> to function propelly whith PA....
AFAIK flash is native on x86-64, at least on my system. Most likely, PA's
ALSA compatibility later is selecting the first PA device, which is HDMI in
this case.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 09:25 +0000, Michael Holmes wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2012 09:19, "Jesse Jaara" <jesse.jaara@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > No real idea about the 1st one... have you installed pulseadio-alsa
> > and alsa-plugins ?. I don't
> > know what is the state of flashplugin our repos, but it might need
> > lib32-{libpulse,alsa-libs} pkgs
> > to function propelly whith PA....
> AFAIK flash is native on x86-64, at least on my system. Most likely, PA's
> ALSA compatibility later is selecting the first PA device, which is HDMI in
> this case.

I had to get rid of pulseaudio.

[spinymouse@archlinux pulseaudio-dummy]$ cat PKGBUILD
pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
arch=('any')
url=""
license=('BSD')
provides=('pulseaudio')
conflicts=('pulseaudio')

[spinymouse@archlinux pulseaudio-dummy]$ pacman -Qs alsa
local/alsa-firmware 1.0.24.1-1
ALSA firmware package
local/alsa-lib 1.0.24.1-1
An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/alsa-oss 1.0.17-2
OSS compatibility library
local/alsa-plugins 1.0.24-3
Extra alsa plugins
local/alsa-tools 1.0.24.1-1
ALSA tools package
local/alsa-utils 1.0.24.2-3
An alternative implementation of Linux sound support
local/pulseaudio-alsa 1-2 (pulseaudio-gnome)
ALSA Configuration for PulseAudio

Old 01-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 10:32 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 09:25 +0000, Michael Holmes wrote:
> > On 16 Jan 2012 09:19, "Jesse Jaara" <jesse.jaara@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > No real idea about the 1st one... have you installed pulseadio-alsa
> > > and alsa-plugins ?. I don't
> > > know what is the state of flashplugin our repos, but it might need
> > > lib32-{libpulse,alsa-libs} pkgs
> > > to function propelly whith PA....
> > AFAIK flash is native on x86-64, at least on my system. Most likely, PA's
> > ALSA compatibility later is selecting the first PA device, which is HDMI in
> > this case.
>
> I had to get rid of pulseaudio.
>
> [spinymouse@archlinux pulseaudio-dummy]$ cat PKGBUILD
> pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
> pkgver=1.0
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
> arch=('any')
> url=""
> license=('BSD')
> provides=('pulseaudio')
> conflicts=('pulseaudio')

Pardon:

[spinymouse@archlinux pulseaudio-dummy]$ cat PKGBUILD
pkgname=pulseaudio-dummy
pkgver=1.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A dummy package that pretends to provide pulseaudio."
arch=('any')
url=""
license=('BSD')
provides=('pulseaudio')
conflicts=('pulseaudio')
source=()

Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Jesse Jaara

Yous hould no't have n eeded to do that. Pulseaudio should only be needed
by application whick don't do anything without pulseadio. We have libpulse
package that provides pulseaudio lib for applications linked with PA support
like mplayer....

Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Peter Nikolic

On Monday 16 Jan 2012 09:07:16 Michael Holmes wrote:
> For #2, try blacklisting the snd-hda-codec-nvidia module.

Hi

I will try that out a bit later see what happens

Cheers Pete .