Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM
"Thomas Misilo"

Default Upgrading from Don't Panic Fresh Install

Hello,

I was wondering if there are any mirrors out there that still support upgrading from Don't Panic? As it seems the directory structure has changed a lot.

Before you ask WTF, I just want to say that this is the only version of the ISO I have found that actually boots the installer and doesn't panic. (Due to only have 256MB of ram)

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Thomas Misilo <misilot@fit.edu> wrote:
> Before you ask WTF, I just want to say that this is the only version of the ISO
> I have found that actually boots the installer and doesn't panic. *(Due to
> only have 256MB of ram)

Are you saying that newer versions panic if you have just 256 MB RAM?

Old 01-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 15.01.2012 21:35, schrieb Thomas Misilo:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there are any mirrors out there that still support
> upgrading from Don't Panic? As it seems the directory structure has
> changed a lot.
>
> Before you ask WTF, I just want to say that this is the only version
> of the ISO I have found that actually boots the installer and doesn't
> panic. (Due to only have 256MB of ram)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

There is really no easy way to update from such an old system. You will
run into all kinds of problems. Not only did the repo layout, pacman
itself or the package compression change. You might also have problems
running our new packages which require a newer kernel etc..

In short: It's not worth trying.

Better: Tell us why the most recent ISO wont work for you. Afaik you
can even install arch with just 64MB of RAM; even though such a system
wont be of much use these days.

Greetings,

Pierre

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 21:48:56 +0100
Pierre Schmitz <pierre@archlinux.de> wrote:

> Am 15.01.2012 21:35, schrieb Thomas Misilo:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was wondering if there are any mirrors out there that still support
> > upgrading from Don't Panic? As it seems the directory structure has
> > changed a lot.
> >
> > Before you ask WTF, I just want to say that this is the only version
> > of the ISO I have found that actually boots the installer and doesn't
> > panic. (Due to only have 256MB of ram)
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
>
> There is really no easy way to update from such an old system. You will
> run into all kinds of problems. Not only did the repo layout, pacman
> itself or the package compression change. You might also have problems
> running our new packages which require a newer kernel etc..
>
> In short: It's not worth trying.
>
> Better: Tell us why the most recent ISO wont work for you. Afaik you
> can even install arch with just 64MB of RAM; even though such a system
> wont be of much use these days.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Pierre

... or use another distro livecd and install from there (all you need really
is latest pacman).

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM
"Thomas Misilo"

I was only trying the archboot cd, which wasn't working. Using the newest installer works. Sorry for not trying that first! That's what I get for not labeling discs and just trying them

Thank you again,

Tom

Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Pierre Schmitz

Am 15.01.2012 21:58, schrieb Thomas Misilo:
> I was only trying the archboot cd, which wasn't working. Using the
> newest installer works. Sorry for not trying that first! That's what I
> get for not labeling discs and just trying them

archboot copies the whole image to ram first as everything is in a
giant initramfs. No wonder it wont work with 256MB of RAM.

--
Pierre Schmitz, http://pierre-schmitz.com

Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 15.01.2012 21:48, schrieb Pierre Schmitz:
> In short: It's not worth trying.

Agreed. I consider this impossible without a lot of time and intimite
knowledge of the various problems that will occur. Actually, the only
way I can imagine is booting a recent image and upgrading from there.

> Better: Tell us why the most recent ISO wont work for you. Afaik you
> can even install arch with just 64MB of RAM; even though such a system
> wont be of much use these days.

I just booted the 2011.08.19 i686 image using qemu with 256MB RAM. I
have 229MB of free memory after booting.

You might get into trouble running pacman though, it might run out of
memory during the operation - I didn't try.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 15.01.2012 21:58, schrieb Thomas Misilo:
> I was only trying the archboot cd, which wasn't working.

Archboot is broken by design in that way. It works, if you have massive
amount of memory (I think at least 1GB).

From your first mail:

> Before you ask WTF, I just want to say that this is the only version
> of the ISO I have found that actually boots the installer and doesn't
> panic. (Due to only have 256MB of ram)

I find it extremely impolite to give such a statement before you even
TRIED to use the official image, which is linked on the official
download page.