Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Karol Blazewicz

Default Unofficial User Repositories

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Thanasis Georgiou <sakisds.s@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not familiar with these extra repositories but by the naming, I
> would suggest not to use 'archaudio-preview', 'archaudio-nightly' and
> 'archaudio-experimental' if you want the maximum stability.

The archaudio repos are described in the wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archaudio

Generally, new versions may have nice new features and bugfixes but
may sometimes be unstable.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 19:23 +0200, Thanasis Georgiou wrote:
> On 15 January 2012 19:00, Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I've got some newbie questions regarding to the Unofficial User
> > Repositories.
> > Until now I only used some AUR packages and /etc/pacman.conf was set up
> > like [1].
> > Now I'll uncomment multilib and add
> > - archaudio-production
> > - archstudio
> > - kxstudio-free
> > - kxstudio-non-free
> > - arch-fonts
> > - mate
> > - archaudio-preview
> > - archaudio-nightly
> > - archaudio-experimental
> >
> > Is it recommended not to use some of those repositories to avoid a
> > broken system? Is this order ok, or is another order more safe? Any
> > recommendations when pro-audio is most important, followed by painting
> > and graphic design and less important video production?
>
> I am not familiar with these extra repositories but by the naming, I
> would suggest not to use 'archaudio-preview', 'archaudio-nightly' and
> 'archaudio-experimental' if you want the maximum stability. All these
> look like they aren't meant for daily use since there is already a
> 'archaudio-production'. So unless you want to test packages it might
> be better to stay away from these.

Thanks, this is my thought too, that's why I add those repos at the end
of the list. So if there should e.g. be a broken codec in "nightly" it
won't be installed, if there already is this codec in "production". I
guess a broken "studio" app won't break the complete Arch install, but
perhaps "mate" could cause issues regarding to GTK libs, that are able
to break the complete install.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I guess a broken "studio" app won't break the complete Arch install, but
> perhaps "mate" could cause issues regarding to GTK libs, that are able
> to break the complete install.

Booting into the console rather than straight to X may help a bit but
you should be able to go back to console even if the graphical
environment doesn't want to cooperate.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 18:42 +0100, Karol Blazewicz wrote: [snip]
On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 18:54 +0100, Karol Blazewicz wrote: [snip]

Thank you excepted of some apps I'll anyway will compile from svn,
e.g. Qtractor to enable translation, to compile it with proprietary
headers etc., I seldom need latest versions.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 01-16-2012, 02:18 AM
Bernardo Barros

`archaudio-preview' is pretty stable, `archaudio-production' is almost
empty. I think the reason for that is people who use `-preview' are quite.

They have some advantages over AUR. You can group install all plugins
(ladspa-plugins,
lv2-plugins etc), and they are maintained by the same group of people.

archstudio is optimized to intel core i, I use it every day, no problems here.
It will have many packages that live also in archaudio.

Would be nice to have more interaction with the audio guys here. So quite...

Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 AM
Bernardo Barros

I mean `quiet'

Old 01-16-2012, 06:01 AM
Ralf Madorf

Hi Bernardo,

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 19:18 -0800, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> `archaudio-preview' is pretty stable, `archaudio-production' is almost
> empty.

So I should change the order [1].

> I think the reason for that is people who use `-preview' are quite.
>
> They have some advantages over AUR. You can group install all plugins
> (ladspa-plugins,
> lv2-plugins etc), and they are maintained by the same group of people.
>
> archstudio is optimized to intel core i, I use it every day, no problems here.
> It will have many packages that live also in archaudio.

I noticed this and didn't include it to my repositories.

> Would be nice to have more interaction with the audio guys here. So quite...

Regards,

Ralf

[1]
---------- old ----------