Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Ralf Madorf

Default Unofficial User Repositories

Hi

I've got some newbie questions regarding to the Unofficial User
Repositories.
Until now I only used some AUR packages and /etc/pacman.conf was set up
like [1].
Now I'll uncomment multilib and add
- archaudio-production
- archstudio
- kxstudio-free
- kxstudio-non-free
- arch-fonts
- mate
- archaudio-preview
- archaudio-nightly
- archaudio-experimental

Is it recommended not to use some of those repositories to avoid a
broken system? Is this order ok, or is another order more safe? Any
recommendations when pro-audio is most important, followed by painting
and graphic design and less important video production?

Regards,

Ralf

[1]
$ cat /etc/pacman.conf
[snip]
# - repositories listed first will take precedence when packages
# have identical names, regardless of version number
[snip]
#[testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[core]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#[community-testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[community]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

# If you want to run 32 bit applications on your x86_64 system,
# enable the multilib repositories as required here.

#[multilib-testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

#[multilib]

Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanasis Georgiou

On 15 January 2012 19:00, Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got some newbie questions regarding to the Unofficial User
> Repositories.
> Until now I only used some AUR packages and /etc/pacman.conf was set up
> like [1].
> Now I'll uncomment multilib and add
> - archaudio-production
> - archstudio
> - kxstudio-free
> - kxstudio-non-free
> - arch-fonts
> - mate
> - archaudio-preview
> - archaudio-nightly
> - archaudio-experimental
>
> Is it recommended not to use some of those repositories to avoid a
> broken system? Is this order ok, or is another order more safe? Any
> recommendations when pro-audio is most important, followed by painting
> and graphic design and less important video production?

I am not familiar with these extra repositories but by the naming, I
would suggest not to use 'archaudio-preview', 'archaudio-nightly' and
'archaudio-experimental' if you want the maximum stability. All these
look like they aren't meant for daily use since there is already a
'archaudio-production'. So unless you want to test packages it might
be better to stay away from these.

---
Thanasis Georgiou