Old 01-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Ralf Madorf

Default OT: xf86-video-nv question

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 12:28 +0100, Stefan Wilkens wrote:
> 2012/1/15 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> > [snip]
> > It's good that Arch Linux still provide the nv driver, at least Debian
> > dropped it, but it's known that nouveau doesn't work for many users,
> > that there at least is the need to offend the GPL to use the proprietary
> > driver with a kernel-rt, while at the same time an important DE will
> > force people to use 3D acceleration.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> Slight deviation from the topic here, but relevant:
>
> Work is being done[1] to provide gnome-shell's functionality to users
> without the requirement of GPU acceleration, this is done through the
> LLVMPipe software rasterizer. This does place a SSE2 requirement on
> the CPU but that shouldn't be an issue these days. (pentium 4 and up,
> amd K8 and up)
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

"Note that software rendering does require sufficient CPU power for a
good experience." SSE2 is very resource hungry, so at least for audio
usage GNOME is lost. I don't like the work flow when using GNOME3, but
I'll install it again and test it, since Xfce without GNOME apps is also
a PITA, e.g. the Xfce Terminal Emulator starts with a delay when I click
the panel's window button. The terminal is the only app that has this
delay.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Rob

"Note that software rendering does require sufficient CPU power for a
good experience." SSE2 is very resource hungry, so at least for audio
usage GNOME is lost. I don't like the work flow when using GNOME3, but
I'll install it again and test it, since Xfce without GNOME apps is also
a PITA, e.g. the Xfce Terminal Emulator starts with a delay when I click
the panel's window button. The terminal is the only app that has this
delay.

I've found that turning off "startup notification" in Terminal's
launcher eliminates the delay.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 14:53 -0500, Rob wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 07:04 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> >
> > "Note that software rendering does require sufficient CPU power for a
> > good experience." SSE2 is very resource hungry, so at least for audio
> > usage GNOME is lost. I don't like the work flow when using GNOME3, but
> > I'll install it again and test it, since Xfce without GNOME apps is also
> > a PITA, e.g. the Xfce Terminal Emulator starts with a delay when I click
> > the panel's window button. The terminal is the only app that has this
> > delay.
> >
> I've found that turning off "startup notification" in Terminal's
> launcher eliminates the delay.

Thanks, unfortunately it already is disabled. There's always delay when
maximizing the terminal window. There's sometimes delay when switching
from another windows to the terminal window, dunno under what conditions
this happens. Sometimes it's ok, but most of the times there's a delay,
without changing anything.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Don Juan

[...]

I have that same delay, I have tried a few different terminals to see if
it was that but just gave up and have been living with it.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 17:21 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 15:55 +0000, Mauro Santos wrote:

> > > I thought that since we are away from Ataris, we don't need a fan
> > > control anymore, anyway:
> > >
> > > http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http://coolcircuit.com/circuit/fan_controller/automatic__fan_controller.GIF&imgrefurl=http://coolcircuit.com/circuit/fan_controller/index.html&usg=__0gj-rPcDRlYeqo7LP42Sf6GAupE=&h=460&w=644&sz=8&hl=de&st art=0&zoom=1&tbnid=Ud3ZU4231DXQDM:&tbnh=162&tbnw=2 52&ei=Fj4UT_OuGJHKswbBxPQX&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dfan%2Bcontrol%2Bcircuit%26hl%3Dde%26c lient%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DUIp%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26channel%3Dnp%26biw%3D1152%26bih%3D72 7%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Dimvns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=3 79&vpy=165&dur=9865&hovh=190&hovw=266&tx=187&ty=67 &sig=115928880652315582645&page=1&ndsp=13&ved=1t:4 29,r:1,s:0
> > >

> > I doubt this circuit will work, at least not as it is.
>
> Dunno, I sent the mail accidentally with an unwanted link. I don't think
> a circuit with a relay is a good idea. I could ask a friend for a good
> circuit. IIRC he build fan controls for Atari TT, Falcon and what ever
> else with QL emulators. My ST with another emulator never had and still
> has no fan and it's Lacom SCSI unit also has no fan. But in the old days
> fan controllers were common.

Btw. anybody here who ever used a Jochen Merz's QVME card
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sinclair_QL_clones ? He's a friend
of the friend who build stuff like fan speed controllers. I'm happy that
today, we have PCs with slot like PCI, PCIe and all that soldering
usually isn't needed anymore.