Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 AM
Don Juan

Default xf86-video-nv question

Does anyone know how to control the nvidia fan when using this driver?
Its the only thing I am not able to figure out and my video card starts
getting really hot after a bit. I have tried sensors and it does not
detect anything(fan related). I also did the pci prog, cant remember the
name off hand not on my arch box right now. I know the CPU fans are GPIO
fans, does that mean the nvidia one is as well and I can not control it?
Keeping it on a cooling pad keeps things cool enough, but I would really
prefer to keep using this driver for the time being with all the Xorg
issues with the proprietary drivers, and I honestly think the nouveau
ones are worse than the proprietary, NV has never let me down minus the
heat issue on this one laptop.

Card: GeForce 360m

Thanks for your time

Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Ionut Biru

On 01/15/2012 08:32 AM, Don Juan wrote:
> Does anyone know how to control the nvidia fan when using this driver?
> Its the only thing I am not able to figure out and my video card starts
> getting really hot after a bit. I have tried sensors and it does not
> detect anything(fan related). I also did the pci prog, cant remember the
> name off hand not on my arch box right now. I know the CPU fans are GPIO
> fans, does that mean the nvidia one is as well and I can not control it?
> Keeping it on a cooling pad keeps things cool enough, but I would really
> prefer to keep using this driver for the time being with all the Xorg
> issues with the proprietary drivers, and I honestly think the nouveau
> ones are worse than the proprietary, NV has never let me down minus the
> heat issue on this one laptop.
>
> Card: GeForce 360m
>
> Thanks for your time

don't use xf86-video-nv, use xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-dri for 3d

--
IonuČ›

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM
Don Juan

[...]

Cant I get the worst results using nouveau I have tried multiple times.

Thanks though

Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Stefan Wilkens

2012/1/15 Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com>:
> Does anyone know how to control the nvidia fan when using this driver? Its
> the only thing I am not able to figure out and my video card starts getting
> really hot after a bit. I have tried sensors and it does not detect
> anything(fan related). I also did the pci prog, cant remember the name off
> hand not on my arch box right now. I know the CPU fans are GPIO fans, does
> that mean the nvidia one is as well and I can not control it? Keeping it on
> a cooling pad keeps things cool enough, but I would really prefer to keep
> using this driver for the time being with all the Xorg issues with the
> proprietary drivers, and I honestly think the nouveau ones are worse than
> the proprietary, NV has never let me down minus the heat issue on this one
> laptop.
>
> Card: GeForce 360m
>
> Thanks for your time

It seems likely that your card's power management features aren't
supported by the -nv driver, NVIDIA dropped support for that in 2010
and no longer support the open source efforts. At the moment of
dropping, the -nv drivers lacked proper randr, KMS and powersave
support. I would say that you're simply running into the limitations
of a somewhat outdated driver.

Nouveau is slowly catching up and is supporting powersave features for
newer models, but it's touch and go. You card is of the NV50 family,
nouveau's PowerManagement feature Wiki[1] mentions support for
frequency scaling to be "MOSTLY" done and fan speed to be "WIP".

[1] http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement

You could try if the "mostly done" engine and memory re-clocking in
its current state is enough to resolve your heat issues, but you may
have to jump to the nvidia binary blob to have reliable power
management.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 22:32 -0800, Don Juan wrote:
> Does anyone know how to control the nvidia fan when using this driver?
> [snip] Card: GeForce 360m

Fortunately my graphics is passive. Regarding to your issue I did some
research on German. I didn't find how to solve your issue, but I read a
report that the fan for this integrated laptop graphics is known as
loud. 44dB for averaged usage and heavy usage. 35 dB when just watching
a video from DVD, this should be as loud as the ticking of an (old?)
alarmer.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2012-01-15 at 10:20 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 01/15/2012 08:32 AM, Don Juan wrote:
> > I honestly think the nouveau
> > ones are worse than the proprietary
>
> don't use xf86-video-nv, use xf86-video-nouveau + nouveau-dri for 3d

A lot of Nvidia users can't use the nouveau driver. It doesn't work for
any task with some cards and for some other cards it can't be used for
realtime pro-audio usage.

I prefer the proprietary nvidia driver, but sometimes, e.g. at the
moment for Arch Linux, I have to use the nv driver too, when nvidia
can't be used even with a faked licence.

It's good that Arch Linux still provide the nv driver, at least Debian
dropped it, but it's known that nouveau doesn't work for many users,
that there at least is the need to offend the GPL to use the proprietary
driver with a kernel-rt, while at the same time an important DE will
force people to use 3D acceleration.

Regards,

Ralf

Old 01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Don Juan

[...]

Thanks for the time and effort in the response but nouveau is worse than
using nv for me. I will just live with the heat until I can go back to
nvidias blob

Old 01-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Don Juan

Does anyone know how to control the nvidia fan when using this driver?
[snip] Card: GeForce 360m

Fortunately my graphics is passive. Regarding to your issue I did some
research on German. I didn't find how to solve your issue, but I read a
report that the fan for this integrated laptop graphics is known as
loud. 44dB for averaged usage and heavy usage. 35 dB when just watching
a video from DVD, this should be as loud as the ticking of an (old?)
alarmer.

Regards,

Ralf

Really? Never had a noise issue with these fans. Even with proper power
management there is not really loud noise. Or maybe I am just that deaf
these days :P

I will be just living with the heat until my normal set up goes back to
working. nv is good enough for now.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Stefan Wilkens

2012/1/15 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> [snip]
> It's good that Arch Linux still provide the nv driver, at least Debian
> dropped it, but it's known that nouveau doesn't work for many users,
> that there at least is the need to offend the GPL to use the proprietary
> driver with a kernel-rt, while at the same time an important DE will
> force people to use 3D acceleration.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ralf

Slight deviation from the topic here, but relevant:

Work is being done[1] to provide gnome-shell's functionality to users
without the requirement of GPU acceleration, this is done through the
LLVMPipe software rasterizer. This does place a SSE2 requirement on
the CPU but that shouldn't be an issue these days. (pentium 4 and up,
amd K8 and up)

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Gnome_shell_software_rendering

Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 03:21:32 -0800
Don Juan wrote:

> Thanks for the time and effort in the response but nouveau is worse than
> using nv for me. I will just live with the heat until I can go back to
> nvidias blob

It's *always* a dumb move to move fan control out of hardware and into
software.

I've had to resort to attaching a resistor to the fans wire in the past.

--
Kc