FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Peter Nikolic
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Saturday 14 Jan 2012 10:28:02 Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 08:58 +0000, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > another little glitch i use an "Logitech Marble Mouse" Trackball but
> > since installing Arch i have been unable to get the C&P working at all
> > well , the only way i can get anything like is to copy to the
> > clipboard switch app then paste from clipboard .
> >
> > I am used to just grabing with the mouse and pasting straight to the
> > relevent place without the un wanted extra steps i believe it need an
> > mouse section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d but cant find any info on
> > creating one any help please
> Hi Pete
>
> for my Arch, using Xfce, C&P using the mouse wheel button is working by
> default. There are no settings for xorg.conf on my machine.
>
> FWIW the xorg.conf entries might be
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Configured Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "CorePointer"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
> xf86-input-mouse.
>
> Hth,
>
> Ralf

Hi Ralf

Ok wonder if it is a KDE problem .. i have xf86-input-mouse installed

this is going to bug me now it makes life so hard having to edit -> copy
edit -> paste even within this mail Bahhhhhhhhhhh humbugger it

Pete .
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM
"ali.mousavi@gmail.com"
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

>
> I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
> xf86-input-mouse.


AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Ralf Madorf
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:01 +0330, ali.mousavi@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
> > xf86-input-mouse.
>
>
> AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
> mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
> X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
> settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.

There are different ways to set up a mouse. It hasn't to be done by any
file inside /etc/X11. On Debian I edited another file, can't remember
it's location. Anyway, wheel emulation could be an issue.

I guess the wheel emulation is a X setting somewhere in /etc, e.g.
xorg.conf and that ominous file I can't remember, but perhaps the option
to use the third button for C&P is a task of the DE.

I want to get rid of the C&P option . Shortcuts and mouse options at
the moment are less important for me, so I didn't search for it, I still
try to get an audio out signal .

Anyway, there are new issues for the mouse on current Linux. When I was
using Debian I had to get rid of my PS/2 mouse, because the wheel didn't
work. I bought a USB mouse. The USB mouse was ok, but after some
upgrades no mouse worked anymore. For Arch my USB mouse is ok again.

- Ralf
 
Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Ralf Madorf
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 12:33 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:01 +0330, ali.mousavi@gmail.com wrote:
> > >
> > > I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
> > > xf86-input-mouse.
> >
> >
> > AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
> > mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
> > X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
> > settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.
>
> There are different ways to set up a mouse. It hasn't to be done by any
> file inside /etc/X11. On Debian I edited another file, can't remember
> it's location. Anyway, wheel emulation could be an issue.
>
> I guess the wheel emulation is a X setting somewhere in /etc, e.g.
> xorg.conf and that ominous file I can't remember, but perhaps the option
> to use the third button for C&P is a task of the DE.
>
> I want to get rid of the C&P option . Shortcuts and mouse options at
> the moment are less important for me, so I didn't search for it, I still
> try to get an audio out signal .
>
> Anyway, there are new issues for the mouse on current Linux. When I was
> using Debian I had to get rid of my PS/2 mouse, because the wheel didn't
> work. I bought a USB mouse. The USB mouse was ok, but after some
> upgrades no mouse worked anymore. For Arch my USB mouse is ok again.
>
> - Ralf
PS:
FWIW I don't have xf86-input-keyboard installed, but I guess without a
DE

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
#Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

does set up the keyboard. Can't remember and won't test it now.

Last year I noticed that some thingies that worked the last 9 years with
Linux stopped working, one of those thingies for me is an old mouse.
Regarding to X a widespread issue seems to be that the nv driver is
dropped, fortunately Arch still includes it to the repositories.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Don Juan
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On 01/14/2012 03:47 AM, Ralf Madorf wrote:

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 12:33 +0100, Ralf Madorf wrote:

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:01 +0330, ali.mousavi@gmail.com wrote:

I guess to enable this you first need to install the package
xf86-input-mouse.


AFAK there is usually no need to install the "xf86-input-mouse" package. my
mouse is working just fine. copying and pasting using mouse is handled with
X and it doesn't have anything to do with the driver. Just check your X
settings or your DE and see if something is wrong.

There are different ways to set up a mouse. It hasn't to be done by any
file inside /etc/X11. On Debian I edited another file, can't remember
it's location. Anyway, wheel emulation could be an issue.

I guess the wheel emulation is a X setting somewhere in /etc, e.g.
xorg.conf and that ominous file I can't remember, but perhaps the option
to use the third button for C&P is a task of the DE.

I want to get rid of the C&P option . Shortcuts and mouse options at
the moment are less important for me, so I didn't search for it, I still
try to get an audio out signal .

Anyway, there are new issues for the mouse on current Linux. When I was
using Debian I had to get rid of my PS/2 mouse, because the wheel didn't
work. I bought a USB mouse. The USB mouse was ok, but after some
upgrades no mouse worked anymore. For Arch my USB mouse is ok again.

- Ralf

PS:
FWIW I don't have xf86-input-keyboard installed, but I guess without a
DE

# cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/keyboard.conf
Section "InputClass"
Identifier "keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "yes"
Option "XkbLayout" "de"
#Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"

does set up the keyboard. Can't remember and won't test it now.

Last year I noticed that some thingies that worked the last 9 years with
Linux stopped working, one of those thingies for me is an old mouse.
Regarding to X a widespread issue seems to be that the nv driver is
dropped, fortunately Arch still includes it to the repositories.
I am thankful for that as well or else I would never be able to shutdown
or reboot my laptop. NV driver is the only one that I can get to work
reliably with my video card. Nouveau is even worse of a driver to use
for my card over the proprietary. Its sad I cant use a video driver that
works reliably that's actually being developed. I hope they get X and
nvidia sorted out soon.


About the C&P are you sure that you don't have one of those paste
programs running in the background that you did not configure. I
remember I accidentally got one installed not paying attention to an
install and I had to remove it to get my C&P back to normal.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM
Ralf Madorf
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 12:44 -0800, Don Juan wrote:
> > Regarding to X a widespread issue seems to be that the nv driver is
> > dropped, fortunately Arch still includes it to the repositories.
> I am thankful for that as well or else I would never be able to shutdown
> or reboot my laptop. NV driver is the only one that I can get to work
> reliably with my video card. Nouveau is even worse of a driver to use
> for my card over the proprietary. Its sad I cant use a video driver that
> works reliably that's actually being developed. I hope they get X and
> nvidia sorted out soon.

Since the nv driver works without failure it doesn't need development.
Hopefully it will be possible to use it with future versions of X and
future versions of the compiler hopefully will be able to build the nv
driver.

> About the C&P are you sure that you don't have one of those paste
> programs running in the background that you did not configure. I
> remember I accidentally got one installed not paying attention to an
> install and I had to remove it to get my C&P back to normal.

I don't know. It's possible that for Xfce such a program is running.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Qadri
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

> I am used to just grabing with the mouse and pasting straight to the
> relevent
> place without the un wanted extra steps i believe it need an mouse
> section in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d but cant find any info on creating one any help
> please
>

Did you check out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Marble_Mouse?

If nothing there helps, perhaps you should check out the results of
clicking with xev to make sure the assumed commands are being sent.

ButtonPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
root 0x15e, subw 0x0, time 7374878, (85,87), root928,197),
state 0x0, button 1, same_screen YES

I get button 1 for the left button, 3 for the right, and 2 for the emulated
middle click (off a laptop's mousepad buttons).

MAQ.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Don Juan
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On 01/14/2012 02:56 PM, Ralf Madorf wrote:

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 12:44 -0800, Don Juan wrote:

Regarding to X a widespread issue seems to be that the nv driver is
dropped, fortunately Arch still includes it to the repositories.

I am thankful for that as well or else I would never be able to shutdown
or reboot my laptop. NV driver is the only one that I can get to work
reliably with my video card. Nouveau is even worse of a driver to use
for my card over the proprietary. Its sad I cant use a video driver that
works reliably that's actually being developed. I hope they get X and
nvidia sorted out soon.

Since the nv driver works without failure it doesn't need development.
Hopefully it will be possible to use it with future versions of X and
future versions of the compiler hopefully will be able to build the nv
driver.


About the C&P are you sure that you don't have one of those paste
programs running in the background that you did not configure. I
remember I accidentally got one installed not paying attention to an
install and I had to remove it to get my C&P back to normal.

I don't know. It's possible that for Xfce such a program is running.

See if you have xfce4-clipman-plugin installed if not maybe try
installing it. May be the missing ilnk for you or may be the cause of
the problem if installed. Not sure what else to look at if the other
suggestions dont work.
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Peter Nikolic
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Saturday 14 Jan 2012 18:46:12 Qadri wrote:
> > I am used to just grabing with the mouse and pasting straight to the
> > relevent
> > place without the un wanted extra steps i believe it need an mouse
> > section in
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d but cant find any info on creating one any help
> > please
>
> Did you check out
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Marble_Mouse?
>
> If nothing there helps, perhaps you should check out the results of
> clicking with xev to make sure the assumed commands are being sent.
>
> ButtonPress event, serial 37, synthetic NO, window 0x2600001,
> root 0x15e, subw 0x0, time 7374878, (85,87), root928,197),
> state 0x0, button 1, same_screen YES
>
> I get button 1 for the left button, 3 for the right, and 2 for the emulated
> middle click (off a laptop's mousepad buttons).
>
> MAQ.

Hi thanks for the link i had looked on the wiki but had not found that bit
but it does not work any how , Whish i had kept the configs from the suse
install as that worked a treat i will have to have a play with it see if i
can find the right settings for it ..


Thanks Pete .
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Ralf Madorf
 
Default Mouse C&P not working

On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 16:13 -0800, Don Juan wrote:
> See if you have xfce4-clipman-plugin installed if not maybe try
> installing it. May be the missing ilnk for you or may be the cause of
> the problem if installed. Not sure what else to look at if the other
> suggestions dont work.

I'm not the OP. Anyway, for my mouse C&P does work using the wheel
button and xfce4-clipman-plugin isn't installed.

Hm? Pete, what WM/DE (version) and clipboard are you using?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:23 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org