FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
<jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> So for the past few days I've been playing with Gentoo and Funtoo.
> I've learned a lot. I learned about something called Stage 4 and 5,
> which you can basically do to your system in order to make a backup
> copy of it, and put it in a tarball. I don't see any Wiki pages for
> this, so I was thinking that maybe I can write one once I learn more
> about it. Anyone think this is necessary?

If you mean it as a way to backup your system, sure, why not.
There have been some ideas on the forum about creating a tar "install
package" that you just untar to have a working Arch, but I've never
seen a working example.

You can move your packages to the new computer in order to avoid
redownloading them. but backing them up is generally not necessary.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

> If you mean it as a way to backup your system, sure, why not.
> There have been some ideas on the forum about creating a tar "install
> package" that you just untar to have a working Arch, but I've never
> seen a working example.
>
> You can move your packages to the new computer in order to avoid
> redownloading them. but backing them up is generally not necessary.

Hmm I think that would be easy to do since technically Arch ISOs are
just snapshots at that current point in time. Which would mean that if
I installed Arch and directly after an install I run the commands to
create a tarball, that tarball would be the same as the Arch ISO (with
extra configurations specific to the system). If someone wanted to
install it, it would be similar as to installing gentoo.

1. Extract that tarball back into the system
2. Reconfigure the core files, add users, etc
3. Install GRUB (or any other bootloader)

--
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Old 01-10-2012, 10:57 PM
Ivan Sichmann Freitas
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

> So for the past few days I've been playing with Gentoo and Funtoo.
> I've learned a lot. I learned about something called Stage 4 and 5,
> which you can basically do to your system in order to make a backup
> copy of it, and put it in a tarball. I don't see any Wiki pages for
> this, so I was thinking that maybe I can write one once I learn more
> about it. Anyone think this is necessary?

And what it has to do with archwiki? Isn't anything on gentoo wiki?
Anyway, I've heard about something like that last time I used a gentoo
(say, about 2 years ago). The main purpose was to backup the basic
system, and help deploying it on machines sharing the same
config/hardware.
--
Ivan Sichmann Freitas
GNU/Linux user #509059
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

> And what it has to do with archwiki? Isn't anything on gentoo wiki?
> Anyway, I've heard about something like that last time I used a gentoo
> (say, about 2 years ago). The main purpose was to backup the basic
> system, and help deploying it on machines sharing the same
> config/hardware.
> --
> Ivan Sichmann Freitas
> GNU/Linux user #509059

Correct. You use it to back up and restore your system.

What it has to do with Arch is more information inside the wiki.
Specifically in relation of backups of the system and restoring (since
that is the point of stage5). Since there isn't any information on
this inside our quality documentation, why not add it?

--
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
<jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
> What it has to do with Arch is more information inside the wiki.

We do have
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backup#Not_incremental_backups
"Just copy everything into one big archive, but support writing to
cd/dvd"-type :-)
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Karol Blazewicz
<karol.blazewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
> <jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What it has to do with Arch is more information inside the wiki.
>
> We do have
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backup#Not_incremental_backups
> "Just copy everything into one big archive, but support writing to
> cd/dvd"-type :-)

Haha yes, we have information on backing up, but I was specifically
referring to Stage 5 backup.


--
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM
Jason Melton
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Jonathan Vasquez <jvasquez1011@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM, Karol Blazewicz
> <karol.blazewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Jonathan Vasquez
> > <jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> What it has to do with Arch is more information inside the wiki.
> >
> > We do have
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backup#Not_incremental_backups
> > "Just copy everything into one big archive, but support writing to
> > cd/dvd"-type :-)
>
> Haha yes, we have information on backing up, but I was specifically
> referring to Stage 5 backup.
>
>
I don't mind the idea of documenting a comprehensive system backup/restore
scheme or two.

I really dislike the "Stage 4" / "Stage 5" terminology, because that feels
way too gentoo-specific.
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

>> Haha yes, we have information on backing up, but I was specifically
>> referring to Stage 5 backup.
>>
>>
> I don't mind the idea of documenting a comprehensive system backup/restore
> scheme or two.
>
> I really dislike the "Stage 4" / "Stage 5" terminology, because that feels
> way too gentoo-specific.

I guess Gentoo/Funtoo terminology has been rubbing onto me

--
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Karol Blazewicz
 
Default Stage 5 , Arch Wiki?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Jason Melton <jason.melton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I really dislike the "Stage 4" / "Stage 5" terminology, because that feels
> way too gentoo-specific.

Sure, we can drop the 'stage X' name but we should refer to it in the
introduction.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org