Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Clive Cooper

Default Just thinking out loud...

> There is even a topic on rasperrypi forum by a member of archlinuxarm.org
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/distributions/archlinuxarm-on-raspberry-pi

Great....The Raspberry Pi is pretty awesome but lets face it with
ArchLinux it will be f***ing damn awesome.
I imagine this is going to be so big that they will never be able to
meet the demand initially.

Clive
--
Infinity: A concept for those who cannot comprehend the big picture.

() Arch Linux - For movers and shakers. ()

Old 01-08-2012, 04:57 PM
Brandon Betances

From what I understand, they'll be selling sd cards with arch already on
them.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 05:34:32PM +0000, Clive Cooper wrote:
> Great....The Raspberry Pi is pretty awesome but lets face it with
> ArchLinux it will be f***ing damn awesome.

I have a Beagleboard running Arch Linux from http://archlinuxarm.org/
and it is great!

Easy to install and everything just works

Regards

--
Ricardo (http://r.untroubled.be/)

Old 01-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Clive Cooper

> I have a Beagleboard running Arch Linux from http://archlinuxarm.org/
> and it is great!
>
> Easy to install and everything just works

That's a very expensive board compared to the Raspberry pi price of
$25 (Model A) $35(Model B).
Let's just hope that the Raspberry Pi is being manufactured in enough
quantity to meet what appears to be a massive interest. I think they
will be selling many millions of these.

Clive

Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Sander Jansen

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Clive Cooper <clive@winpe.com> wrote:
>> I have a Beagleboard running Arch Linux from http://archlinuxarm.org/
>> and it is great!
>>
>> Easy to install and everything just works
>
> That's a very expensive board compared to the Raspberry pi price of
> $25 (Model A) $35(Model B).
> Let's just hope that the Raspberry Pi is being manufactured in enough
> quantity to meet what appears to be a massive interest. I think they
> will be selling many millions of these.

Sure, but the beagleboard you can buy today

Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
gt

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 01:34:23PM +0000, Clive Cooper wrote:
> > I have a Beagleboard running Arch Linux from http://archlinuxarm.org/
> > and it is great!
> >
> > Easy to install and everything just works
>
> That's a very expensive board compared to the Raspberry pi price of
> $25 (Model A) $35(Model B).
> Let's just hope that the Raspberry Pi is being manufactured in enough
> quantity to meet what appears to be a massive interest. I think they
> will be selling many millions of these.

Don't get your hopes too high for the moment. I don't think initially
they'll be able to meet the demand. Also, the first batch will provide
feedback about the various shortcomings.

As an example, India's much touted Aakash tablet hasn't recieved too
positive results after being reviewed by actual users. Now the
shortcomings are being worked on.

These things happen, especially with cheap hardware.

But, kudos to all the people working on such projects, as they provide
hope to the billions of people who can't afford costly hardware.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 4:19 PM, gt <codered12@gmail.com> wrote:
> But, kudos to all the people working on such projects, as they provide
> hope to the billions of people who can't afford costly hardware.

I can get a used Dell, HP or IBM for $50: 3 GHz Pentium 4 w/ 2 GB DDR
RAM, 80 GB HDD, Gigabit LAN + some motherboard w/ cheap onboard
graphics and sound card, PSU and case. It takes up more space, draws
more power and I guess it can't run 1080p smoothly, but it's not a bad
deal for the equivalent of USD 50.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Clive Cooper

> Don't get your hopes too high for the moment. I don't think initially
> they'll be able to meet the demand. Also, the first batch will provide
> feedback about the various shortcomings.

I don't think so either, I am actually expecting delivery to be 3
months plus, but they say by the end of the month, we will see.

> As an example, India's much touted Aakash tablet hasn't recieved too
> positive results after being reviewed by actual users. Now the
> shortcomings are being worked on.
>
> These things happen, especially with cheap hardware.

This is just $25 or $35 and as such even if it performs badly it is
still a neat toy to play around with while we wait for something
better or more interesting.

> But, kudos to all the people working on such projects, as they provide
> hope to the billions of people who can't afford costly hardware.

I agree, a working computer for $25 is quite an achievement.

Clive

Old 01-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Clive Cooper

> I can get a used Dell, HP or IBM for $50: 3 GHz Pentium 4 w/ 2 GB DDR
> RAM, 80 GB HDD, Gigabit LAN + some motherboard w/ cheap onboard
> graphics and sound card, PSU and case. It takes up more space, draws
> more power and I guess it can't run 1080p smoothly, but it's not a bad
> deal for the equivalent of USD 50.

The whole point here though is something that is very tiny. I have a
few projects in mind, one being a small remote controlled 'audio book
reader'/'radio show player' for by the side of the bed. It is the
size of this thing that makes it interesting, that and the fact that I
can run Linux on it and develop for it on my laptop.

Clive