FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Peter Lewis
 
Default setting the time

On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 16:25:14 Peter Nikolic wrote:
> I have just found one more that i cant find a way round , Just
> went to correct the timezone from Europe/Gurnsey to the correct
> Europe/London but it will not let me sac=ve the changes and does
> not ask for root password or anything ..

<snip>

> Well i was in system settings in kde as i amused to doing but i will try
> the /etc/rc.conf method

Hmmm you're right. I'd always assumed that this was some user-specific KDE-
specific timezone variable, but it seems that system settings panel is
supposed to provide some functionality to change the system-wide timezone.
However, I also see "You are note allowed to save the configuration".

I have no idea what exactly this configuration pane would actually set if it
did have permissions. I'm afraid I also don't know how KDE system settings
panels are supposed to request root permissions to allow settings like this.

It's probably best to stick to the Arch standard way on this (see the wiki
page on Time).

But, I'm intrigued as to whether or not KDE can request root permissions for
things like this... anyone know if this should/can work?

Pete.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Tom Gundersen
 
Default setting the time

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
> Hmmm you're right. I'd always assumed that this was some user-specific KDE-
> specific timezone variable, but it seems that system settings panel is
> supposed to provide some functionality to change the system-wide timezone.

Yeah, this is supposed to set the system-wide timezone.

> However, I also see "You are note allowed to save the configuration".

That's odd. It works fine for me. You should see a key icon next to
the Apply button, and when you click it you will be asked for the root
password.

> I have no idea what exactly this configuration pane would actually set if it
> did have permissions.

It will directly set /etc/localtime, as KDE does not know anything
about rc.conf (rightfully so). IMHO it is not ideal as it copies the
timezone data rather than symlink it, so you will not automatically
get any updates to your timezone (not that those are very frequent).

> I'm afraid I also don't know how KDE system settings
> panels are supposed to request root permissions to allow settings like this.

This is done via policykit.

> It's probably best to stick to the Arch standard way on this (see the wiki
> page on Time).

You should note that if you set the timezone in rc.conf, then we
update your /etc/localtime to this value on boot. I.e. what you set in
KDE is forgotten, so probably it is best to stick with the Arch way.

If you prefer to use the KDE way, then that's possible, just make sure
the TIMEZONE variable in rc.conf is not set and initscripts will leave
your timezone alone.

HTH,

Tom
 
Old 01-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Peter Lewis
 
Default setting the time

Hi,

Thanks for the helpful response, Tom.

[Re: KDE system settings]
> > However, I also see "You are note allowed to save the configuration".
>
> That's odd. It works fine for me. You should see a key icon next to
> the Apply button, and when you click it you will be asked for the root
> password.

Hmmm. I don't have any such key icon. The apply button is just greyed out.

> > I'm afraid I also don't know how KDE system settings
> > panels are supposed to request root permissions to allow settings like
> > this.
>
> This is done via policykit.

Would I need some optdepend installed or some daemon started to make this
work? I notice that I have polkit-qt installed, but I don't think I've ever
done anything explicit with regard to policykit. I'm in the wheel group, in
case that matters.

I'm running [testing] on this machine. Perhaps that could cause the
difference?

Pete.
 
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Peter Nikolic
 
Default setting the time

On Sunday 08 January 2012 13:17:56 Peter Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the helpful response, Tom.
>
> [Re: KDE system settings]
>
> > > However, I also see "You are note allowed to save the configuration".
> >
> > That's odd. It works fine for me. You should see a key icon next to
> > the Apply button, and when you click it you will be asked for the root
> > password.
>
> Hmmm. I don't have any such key icon. The apply button is just greyed out.

No i dont see a key icon either
>
> > > I'm afraid I also don't know how KDE system settings
> > > panels are supposed to request root permissions to allow settings like
> > > this.
> >
> > This is done via policykit.
>
> Would I need some optdepend installed or some daemon started to make this
> work? I notice that I have polkit-qt installed, but I don't think I've ever
> done anything explicit with regard to policykit. I'm in the wheel group, in
> case that matters.
>
> I'm running [testing] on this machine. Perhaps that could cause the
> difference?
>
> Pete.

Pete .
 
Old 01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Tom Gundersen
 
Default setting the time

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
>> This is done via policykit.
>
> Would I need some optdepend installed or some daemon started to make this
> work? I notice that I have polkit-qt installed, but I don't think I've ever
> done anything explicit with regard to policykit. I'm in the wheel group, in
> case that matters.

No particular group membership necessary. I'm not really sure exactly
what packages need to be installed (I just install all the kde
packages and hope for the best).

This should "just work(TM)". If it does not there could be a
polkit/consolekit problem. If you use kdm (via the rc script)
everything should be set up correctly, so if you are starting KDE in
some other way that might be worth looking into.

> I'm running [testing] on this machine. Perhaps that could cause the
> difference?

I think this should work regardless, but for what it is worth I am
using kde-unstable + testing.

-t
 
Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default setting the time

On Jan 8, 2012 12:27 PM, "Tom Gundersen" <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org>
wrote:
> >> This is done via policykit.
> >
> > Would I need some optdepend installed or some daemon started to make
this
> > work? I notice that I have polkit-qt installed, but I don't think I've
ever
> > done anything explicit with regard to policykit. I'm in the wheel
group, in
> > case that matters.
>
> No particular group membership necessary. I'm not really sure exactly
> what packages need to be installed (I just install all the kde
> packages and hope for the best).
>
> This should "just work(TM)". If it does not there could be a
> polkit/consolekit problem. If you use kdm (via the rc script)
> everything should be set up correctly, so if you are starting KDE in
> some other way that might be worth looking into.
>
> > I'm running [testing] on this machine. Perhaps that could cause the
> > difference?
>
> I think this should work regardless, but for what it is worth I am
> using kde-unstable + testing.
>
> -t

On my system I do have the key.

Is peter said, if you are using kdm, then this should be handled for you.
If not try the following in your .xinitrc:

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startkde

As for my user groups:
video,audio,optical,storage,games,lp,wheel,scanner ,power

As for kde packages, I have a very minimal kde install and it still works.
kdebase is must of course. Try it with just that and the above settings. If
it doesn't work, then take a look at `pacman -Sg kdeadmin`
 
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Peter Nikolic
 
Default setting the time

On Sunday 08 January 2012 18:01:35 Jonathan Vasquez wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2012 12:27 PM, "Tom Gundersen" <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Peter Lewis <plewis@aur.archlinux.org>
>
> wrote:
> > >> This is done via policykit.
> > >
> > > Would I need some optdepend installed or some daemon started to make
>
> this
>
> > > work? I notice that I have polkit-qt installed, but I don't think I've
>
> ever
>
> > > done anything explicit with regard to policykit. I'm in the wheel
>
> group, in
>
> > > case that matters.
> >
> > No particular group membership necessary. I'm not really sure exactly
> > what packages need to be installed (I just install all the kde
> > packages and hope for the best).
> >
> > This should "just work(TM)". If it does not there could be a
> > polkit/consolekit problem. If you use kdm (via the rc script)
> > everything should be set up correctly, so if you are starting KDE in
> > some other way that might be worth looking into.
> >
> > > I'm running [testing] on this machine. Perhaps that could cause the
> > > difference?
> >
> > I think this should work regardless, but for what it is worth I am
> > using kde-unstable + testing.
> >
> > -t
>
> On my system I do have the key.
>
> Is peter said, if you are using kdm, then this should be handled for you.
> If not try the following in your .xinitrc:
>
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startkde

I start KDM in "/etc/rc.conf" as a daemon after dbus

>
> As for my user groups:
> video,audio,optical,storage,games,lp,wheel,scanner ,power
>
> As for kde packages, I have a very minimal kde install and it still works.
> kdebase is must of course. Try it with just that and the above settings. If
> it doesn't work, then take a look at `pacman -Sg kdeadmin`

voyager:/ #pacman -Sg kdeadmin
kdeadmin kdeadmin-kcron
kdeadmin kdeadmin-ksystemlog
kdeadmin kdeadmin-kuser
kdeadmin kdeadmin-system-config-printer-kde



Pete .
 
Old 01-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Default setting the time

>> As for my user groups:
>> video,audio,optical,storage,games,lp,wheel,scanner ,power
>>
>> As for kde packages, I have a very minimal kde install and it still works.
>> kdebase is must of course. Try it with just that and the above settings. If
>> it doesn't work, then take a look at `pacman -Sg kdeadmin`
>
> voyager:/ #pacman -Sg kdeadmin
> kdeadmin kdeadmin-kcron
> kdeadmin kdeadmin-ksystemlog
> kdeadmin kdeadmin-kuser
> kdeadmin kdeadmin-system-config-printer-kde
>
>
>
> Pete .

I guess kdeadmin isn't the group I was thinking about. These are the
KDE packages I have installed, very small:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/532060/

I start kde via inittab.

--
Jonathan Vasquez
 
Old 01-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Peter Lewis
 
Default setting the time

On Sunday 08 Jan 2012 18:27:21 Tom Gundersen wrote:
> No particular group membership necessary. I'm not really sure exactly
> what packages need to be installed (I just install all the kde
> packages and hope for the best).
>
> This should "just work(TM)". If it does not there could be a
> polkit/consolekit problem. If you use kdm (via the rc script)
> everything should be set up correctly, so if you are starting KDE in
> some other way that might be worth looking into.

I've done a bit more exploring of this today, and it seems a fresh user *does*
have the key icon, even though my regular one doesn't.

Grrr... this is the second time an existing user profile somehow just doesn't
work properly after KDE upgrades (the other being with HTML5 video). It's a
damn pain to have to figure out why.... anyone any clues for policykit? I
can't find anything in ~/.kde4 or ~/.config that seems relevant.

Thanks,

Pete.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org