Old 01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Madhurya Kakati

Default Email via mutt+offlineimap+msmtp

Hi,
I am trying to send and receive emaisl using mutt. I am using
offlineimap to download and store all my emails from two of my gmail
accounts. I have followed the following two guides [1] [2] to setup my
configuration. My problem is that when I try to compose an email, mutt
automatically chooses my second email account to send mails from
whereas I want my first account to be the one from which mails are
sent by default.
In my config files I have named my first email account for both imap
and smtp as well as for my local mail dir "mkakati" and my second one
"papul". So mutt chooses papul account to send mails from everytime i
compose an email. Basically what I want is that I want the mkakati
account to be the one from which emails are sent. Also I would like to
be able to choose from which email account I wantr to send mails. I
have folder-hooks setup so that it changes to from field according to
the folder (i.e account) I am in. But that doesn't seem to be working
properly.

have provided links to my offlineimaprc, muttrc, msmtprc and some
other files below.

offlineimaprc http://codepad.org/6Sptj5DE
msmtp.rc http://codepad.org/wFuRZOKM
muttrc http://codepad.org/Rn7plSRp
mkakati.muttrc http://codepad.org/KvQn3Gri
papul.muttrc http://codepad.org/ppYti2KS

[1] http://pbrisbin.com/posts/two_accounts_in_mutt
[2] http://pbrisbin.com/posts/mutt_gmail_offlineimap

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Nicolas Sebrecht

The 07/01/12, Madhurya Kakati wrote:

> I am trying to send and receive emaisl using mutt. I am using
> offlineimap to download and store all my emails from two of my gmail
> accounts.

I use the same tools but msmtp. To not have to play with more than one
account in a mutt session I have one mutt configuration file per account
(and a global configuration sourced from them for configuration not
dedicated to an account).

Other than that, I've written a very small wrapper called "emails" that
takes care of launching each mutt session in a screen window. So, each
account have its own window in screen.

Today, I use 3 unrelated mail accounts but I had 5 accounts handled this
way some time ago. It's the easiest and most scalable configuration I've
found.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht

Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Madhurya Kakati

Mailed just to say that all of my problems have been resolved. It was a weird
bug with mutt.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Alfredo Palhares

Excerpts from Madhurya Kakati's message of Fri Jan 13 07:23:43 +0100 2012:
> Mailed just to say that all of my problems have been resolved. It was a weird
> bug with mutt.

Yeah like, adding "Re:" on every fucking message and not using In-reply-to or References tag, and break my fucking threads. No offense

--
With the best regards,
Alfredo Palhares

Old 01-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Madhurya Kakati

On 01/13/12 at 08:55am, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
> Excerpts from Madhurya Kakati's message of Fri Jan 13 07:23:43 +0100 2012:
> > Mailed just to say that all of my problems have been resolved. It was a weird
> > bug with mutt.
>
> Yeah like, adding "Re:" on every fucking message and not using In-reply-to or References tag, and break my fucking threads. No offense
>
> --
> With the best regards,
> Alfredo Palhares
Sorry for that. How do I configure mutt to use In-reply-to instead of adding
Re: to the subject?(if it is possible to do so.)

Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

It would appear that on Jan 13, Madhurya Kakati did say:

> On 01/13/12 at 08:55am, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
> > Excerpts from Madhurya Kakati's message of Fri Jan 13 07:23:43 +0100 2012:
> > > Mailed just to say that all of my problems have been resolved. It was a weird
> > > bug with mutt.
> >
> > Yeah like, adding "Re:" on every fucking message and not using In-reply-to or References tag, and break my fucking threads. No offense
> >
> Sorry for that. How do I configure mutt to use In-reply-to instead of adding
> Re: to the subject?(if it is possible to do so.)

Pardon me for jumping in here, but if mutt isn't smart enough to
automatically use In-Reply-To: and/or References: headers on replies? Or
likes to add extra Re: (IE: Re: Re: Re to the subject header line?
{All of which is news to me BTW...} Then I gotta ask, "why use it?"

If it's because it runs in the console, then my real question is have you
tried alpine? It certainly does use those thread friendly Message-ID: based
reply headers and seldom {if ever} adds any redundant "Re:" tags to the
"Subject:" header line. It's also highly configurable with a comprehensive built
in help system. It can use local Linux mail spool and/or remote IMAP folders
(or even pop inboxes). It can be configured to use local sendmail or remote
SMTP servers. And it also does NNTP...

It comes with it's own editor/composer but can easily be configured to use
your choice of alternate editors (I use vim with it)...

Just a thought...

Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
"Mantas M."

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:33:36AM -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> It would appear that on Jan 13, Madhurya Kakati did say:
>
> > On 01/13/12 at 08:55am, Alfredo Palhares wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Madhurya Kakati's message of Fri Jan 13 07:23:43 +0100 2012:
> > >
> > > Yeah like, adding "Re:" on every fucking message and not using In-reply-to or References tag, and break my fucking threads. No offense
> > >
> > Sorry for that. How do I configure mutt to use In-reply-to instead of adding
> > Re: to the subject?(if it is possible to do so.)
>
> Pardon me for jumping in here, but if mutt isn't smart enough to
> automatically use In-Reply-To: and/or References: headers on replies? Or
> likes to add extra Re: (IE: Re: Re: Re to the subject header line?
> {All of which is news to me BTW...} Then I gotta ask, "why use it?"

It *does* add In-Reply-To and References by default. It does *not* add extra "Re:"s if one is already present. (It *does*, however, add "Re:" if it has not been added yet; *all* mail programs do that.)

--
Mantas M.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM
gt

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:14:13PM +0200, Mantas M. wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:33:36AM -0500, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > Pardon me for jumping in here, but if mutt isn't smart enough to
> > automatically use In-Reply-To: and/or References: headers on replies? Or
> > likes to add extra Re: (IE: Re: Re: Re to the subject header line?
> > {All of which is news to me BTW...} Then I gotta ask, "why use it?"
>
> It *does* add In-Reply-To and References by default. It does *not* add extra "Re:"s if one is already present. (It *does*, however, add "Re:" if it has not been added yet; *all* mail programs do that.)

+1

Also, @ Joe Philbrook

Firstly, Alpine isn't maintained anymore.

Secondly, mutt is much more configurable and more help is available for
it on the net.

Before using mutt, i had tried alpine, but didn't like it much (mainly
because text based mail interfaces were new and strange to me, due to
switching from gmail's interface). But, then i found that it wasn't
being developed anymore, and i don't like to use outdated software,
especially which require interaction with the internet.

Configuring mutt was a pain, but well worth it.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM
"Mantas M."

On 2012-01-13 17:56, gt wrote:
> Firstly, Alpine isn't maintained anymore.

There is a fork "re-alpine", though.

--
Mantas M.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
gt

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:14:38PM +0200, Mantas M. wrote:
> On 2012-01-13 17:56, gt wrote:
> > Firstly, Alpine isn't maintained anymore.
>
> There is a fork "re-alpine", though.

Yeah, I know of that, but i heard of it, after i got hooked to mutt