Old 01-07-2012, 03:50 AM
Heiko Baums

Default About cron utility

Am Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:49:48 +0800
schrieb 郑文辉(Techlive Zheng) <techlivezheng@gmail.com>:

> Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron?

I would still recommend fcron.

Heiko

Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Gour

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 05:50:06 +0100
Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> I would still recommend fcron.

+1

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the

Old 01-07-2012, 06:59 AM
gt

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 05:50:06AM +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 7 Jan 2012 11:49:48 +0800
> schrieb 郑文辉(Techlive Zheng) <techlivezheng@gmail.com>:
>
> > Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron?
>
> I would still recommend fcron.

I am using dcron, and am quite satisfied with it. Can you elaborate why
you recommend fcron, i might switch.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Sat, 7 Jan 2012 13:29:12 +0530
schrieb gt <codered12@gmail.com>:

> I am using dcron, and am quite satisfied with it. Can you elaborate
> why you recommend fcron, i might switch.

Usually I wouldn't say something like RTFM, but since I don't want to
start such a long discussion about this topic again, I think you should
read the thread the original poster has already linked to (the first 5
or 6 postings should be sufficient). Almost every argument for or
against the various cron daemons have been given there.

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2011-April/019282.html

Here's another comparison between the cron daemons:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cron-guide.xml

And regarding fcron in particular I suggest reading this:

http://fcron.free.fr/description.php

Heiko

Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 11:49:48 ????? wrote:
> Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron? Cronie in base group
> seems has a separate anacrontab in /etc which is not kiss I think? If
> anacron functionity has been included in dcron by default, May be dron
> is a good choice?

I would recommend dcron.

It did have some issues around that time with some long-standing bugs that Jim
didn't have time to work on. Cron daemons aren't known for their fast-paced
development; he was the only guy working on it and was busy with other stuff
for a while.

A couple of us eventually jumped into the code to help him, and all the known
bugs were squashed. I've been using dcron on a production system at work, as
well as my home server and laptop, and haven't had any problems since that
time.

I believe the Arch devs were too quick to switch to cronie, but that's done
now. I understand the reasons, and with any other package it would have made
sense, since upstream had been so quiet. Dcron is unusual, though, in that
upstream is an Arch user, and the project has been kind of tied to Arch for a
while.

Paul

Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Andreas

2012/1/7 Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com>:
> On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 11:49:48 郑文辉 wrote:
>> Which cron utility should I use,cronie or dcron? Cronie in base group
>> seems has a separate anacrontab in /etc which is not kiss I think? If
>> anacron functionity has been included in dcron by default, May be dron
>> is a good choice?
>
> I would recommend dcron.
>
> It did have some issues around that time with some long-standing bugs that Jim
> didn't have time to work on. *Cron daemons aren't known for their fast-paced
> development; he was the only guy working on it and was busy with other stuff
> for a while.
>
> A couple of us eventually jumped into the code to help him, and all the known
> bugs were squashed. *I've been using dcron on a production system at work, as
> well as my home server and laptop, and haven't had any problems since that
> time.
>
> I believe the Arch devs were too quick to switch to cronie, but that's done
> now. *I understand the reasons, and with any other package it would have made
> sense, since upstream had been so quiet. *Dcron is unusual, though, in that
> upstream is an Arch user, and the project has been kind of tied to Arch for a
> while.
>
> Paul

Does someone know if cronie does support running missed jobs
automatically (asynchronous job processing)?
Wiki says dcron does it, but it does not mention cronie, but I think
cronie can do that,too.
Just wondering if it is better to use dcron or cronie...some of my
machines still have dcron, others have cronie (arch switched from
dcron to cronie in may 2011), but I want all my machines to use the
same..

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cron#Asynchronous_job_processing

Andreas

Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 16:07:44 Andreas wrote:
> Does someone know if cronie does support running missed jobs
> automatically (asynchronous job processing)?

I think that's why Cronie ships with Anacron. The latter is supposed to deal
with those cases, I think. It's largely the split implementation that puts me
off Cronie.

Paul

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Heiko Baums

Am Sun, 08 Jan 2012 08:45:48 +0000
schrieb Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com>:

> On Saturday 07 Jan 2012 16:07:44 Andreas wrote:
> > Does someone know if cronie does support running missed jobs
> > automatically (asynchronous job processing)?
>
> I think that's why Cronie ships with Anacron. The latter is supposed
> to deal with those cases, I think. It's largely the split
> implementation that puts me off Cronie.

fcron runs missed jobs if &bootrun is set at the beginning of the
line in fcrontab. fcron has cron and anacron features all in one and
works perfectly.

Heiko

Old 01-08-2012, 08:31 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Sunday 08 Jan 2012 10:29:01 Heiko Baums wrote:
> fcron runs missed jobs if &bootrun is set at the beginning of the
> line in fcrontab. fcron has cron and anacron features all in one and
> works perfectly.

I've heard quite a few good things about fcron. Am I right in thinking it has
some slightly different syntax? I think it was rejected as Arch default for
that reason, but I may be misremembering.

Paul

Old 01-08-2012, 08:45 AM
SanskritFritz

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 Jan 2012 10:29:01 Heiko Baums wrote:
>> fcron runs missed jobs if &bootrun is set at the beginning of the
>> line in fcrontab. fcron has cron and anacron features all in one and
>> works perfectly.
>
> I've heard quite a few good things about fcron. *Am I right in thinking it has
> some slightly different syntax? *I think it was rejected as Arch default for
> that reason, but I may be misremembering.

I'm also using fcron for years (even back when cron was still the
default in arch), it is perfect, and first of all very stable. It fits
desktop usage very well.