Old 01-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Don Juan

Default PKGBUILD question

I am trying to update a AUR pkgbuild I found and the source file when I
download it has a - in the file name

name_2.0.1-beta1

I figure out using ${pkgver//_/-} converts it properly when listing it
as name_2.0.1_beta1.

The problem I have run into and can not seem to find info about or
something I have ever run into is that it seems bsdtar when extracting
is making the name as name_2.0.1-BETA1 and not making it
name_2.0.1-beta1 and makepkg fails saying it can not find the proper
file of name_2.0.1-beta1.

I have it as so in my PKGBUILD
package() {
cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}_${pkgver//_/-}

also as
cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}_${pkgver}

the tarball being downloaded converts properly and dl's fine, it just
seems to be in the next step for package, unless I just really am not
grasping this yet. If so feel free to say I need to read more. But I
think its something easy I am just looking over.

Thank you for any time and help understanding this.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 AM
C Anthony Risinger

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> the tarball being downloaded converts properly and dl's fine, it just seems
> to be in the next step for package, unless I just really am not grasping
> this yet. If so feel free to say I need to read more. But I think its
> something easy I am just looking over.

paste the PKGBUILD in it's entirely somewhere for review.

--

C Anthony

Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 AM
Magnus Therning

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 07:41:32PM -0800, Don Juan wrote:
> I am trying to update a AUR pkgbuild I found and the source file
> when I download it has a - in the file name
>
> name_2.0.1-beta1
>
> I figure out using ${pkgver//_/-} converts it properly when listing
> it as name_2.0.1_beta1.
>
> The problem I have run into and can not seem to find info about or
> something I have ever run into is that it seems bsdtar when
> extracting is making the name as name_2.0.1-BETA1 and not making it
> name_2.0.1-beta1 and makepkg fails saying it can not find the proper
> file of name_2.0.1-beta1.
>
> I have it as so in my PKGBUILD
> package() {
> cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}_${pkgver//_/-}
>
> also as
> cd ${srcdir}/${pkgname}_${pkgver}
>
> the tarball being downloaded converts properly and dl's fine, it
> just seems to be in the next step for package, unless I just really
> am not grasping this yet. If so feel free to say I need to read
> more. But I think its something easy I am just looking over.

You do realise there is no *requirement* to use $pkgname and $pkgver,
right? You can just hard code the correct names into the PKGBUILD
and be done with it. The only drawback is that you need to modify a
few more places when updating the package in the future. That is a
*very* minor drawback in the vast majority of cases.

Also, in the future consider uploading the PKGBUILD you are working on
to a pastebin. It will likely make it much easier to ask you
question. :-)

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay

Old 01-07-2012, 08:07 AM
Don deJuan

[...]

ahh, sorry I did not think of that, was trying hard to stick with what I
was reading that it slipped my mind. Working through updating the
patches on it now, just about finished building. I just picked a package
that was marked out of date to practice building with abs and using a
PKGBUILD. I will worry about the use of the variables in another package
I pick. I don't even need what I am trying to build :P Just wanted to
try and updated the build if I could.

Also, in the future consider uploading the PKGBUILD you are working on
to a pastebin. It will likely make it much easier to ask you
question. :-)

/M

@ Anthony & @Magnus
Noted about pasting to a board on-line will do next time.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Corrado Primier

2012/1/7 Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com>:
> The problem I have run into and can not seem to find info about or something
> I have ever run into is that it seems bsdtar when extracting is making the
> name as name_2.0.1-BETA1 and not making it name_2.0.1-beta1 and makepkg
> fails saying it can not find the proper file of name_2.0.1-beta1.

There is a nice construct in bash (beware: version 4 only) which
allows you to make something uppercase with brace expansion.
Look at this:

[bardo@antani ~]$ pkgver=2.0.1-beta1
[bardo@antani ~]$ echo ${pkgver^^}
2.0.1-BETA1

The only problem in your specific situation is the need to also change
'-' in '_'. That would require a double brace expansion, but I'm not
sure it is possible. If it is, it seems to be undocumented. The
cleanest way I could come up with is:

$(sed 's/-/_/' <<<${pkgver^^})

Not very nice, huh?

bardo

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM
"Mantas M."

On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 01:30:11PM +0100, Corrado Primier wrote:
> The only problem in your specific situation is the need to also change
> '-' in '_'. That would require a double brace expansion, but I'm not
> sure it is possible. If it is, it seems to be undocumented. The
> cleanest way I could come up with is:
>
> $(sed 's/-/_/' <<<${pkgver^^})
>
> Not very nice, huh?

Double brace expansion works like this:

_pkgdir=${pkgver^^}
_pkgdir=${_pkgdir//-/_}

cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$_pkgdir"

--
Mantas M.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Corrado Primier

2012/1/7 Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org>:
> I'd just go for something like this:
>
> _pkgver=2.0.1-BETA1
> pkgver=2.0.1beta1
>
> No need for all that fancy stuff...

I'd go for that too. But I find these little challenges very funny,
and I wondered if it was possible without adding another variable

bardo

Old 01-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Allan McRae

On 07/01/12 22:30, Corrado Primier wrote:
> 2012/1/7 Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com>:
>> The problem I have run into and can not seem to find info about or something
>> I have ever run into is that it seems bsdtar when extracting is making the
>> name as name_2.0.1-BETA1 and not making it name_2.0.1-beta1 and makepkg
>> fails saying it can not find the proper file of name_2.0.1-beta1.
>
> There is a nice construct in bash (beware: version 4 only) which
> allows you to make something uppercase with brace expansion.
> Look at this:
>
> [bardo@antani ~]$ pkgver=2.0.1-beta1
> [bardo@antani ~]$ echo ${pkgver^^}
> 2.0.1-BETA1
>
> The only problem in your specific situation is the need to also change
> '-' in '_'. That would require a double brace expansion, but I'm not
> sure it is possible. If it is, it seems to be undocumented. The
> cleanest way I could come up with is:
>
> $(sed 's/-/_/' <<<${pkgver^^})
>
> Not very nice, huh?

I'd just go for something like this:

_pkgver=2.0.1-BETA1
pkgver=2.0.1beta1

No need for all that fancy stuff...

Allan

Old 01-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Jonathan Vasquez

On Jan 7, 2012 7:37 AM, "Allan McRae" <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 07/01/12 22:30, Corrado Primier wrote:
> > 2012/1/7 Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com>:
> >> The problem I have run into and can not seem to find info about or
something
> >> I have ever run into is that it seems bsdtar when extracting is making
the
> >> name as name_2.0.1-BETA1 and not making it name_2.0.1-beta1 and makepkg
> >> fails saying it can not find the proper file of name_2.0.1-beta1.
> >
> > There is a nice construct in bash (beware: version 4 only) which
> > allows you to make something uppercase with brace expansion.
> > Look at this:
> >
> > [bardo@antani ~]$ pkgver=2.0.1-beta1
> > [bardo@antani ~]$ echo ${pkgver^^}
> > 2.0.1-BETA1
> >
> > The only problem in your specific situation is the need to also change
> > '-' in '_'. That would require a double brace expansion, but I'm not
> > sure it is possible. If it is, it seems to be undocumented. The
> > cleanest way I could come up with is:
> >
> > $(sed 's/-/_/' <<<${pkgver^^})
> >
> > Not very nice, huh?
> >

> I'd just go for something like this:
>
> _pkgver=2.0.1-BETA1
> pkgver=2.0.1beta1
>
> No need for all that fancy stuff...
>
> Allan

Lol Allan. I'm also learning how to make my PKGBUILDs better and
learningfmore Bash scripting. So I'm reading the posts and its like I
completely forgot to go the simple route and declare two variables.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Don Juan