Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Qadri

Default Perl dependencies

Below is an excerpt from the integrity check results from arch-dev-public.
It seems like most (if not all) of these are provided by perl, though the
actual packages are in AUR. What is the appropriate solution (before anyone
says the bugtracker, there are already two bugs about this [1] and [2]). I
can think of a few solutions:

A) Making sure packages in the provides array are also in the repository
B) Checking for dependencies (in just the integrity check, if it's not
already in pacman) in the provides array of packages
C) Shifting the set of packages below to depend on perl instead

If the appropriate answer is not C), I'd be interested in adjusting the
Integrity Check code. Just let me know the appropriate solution.

MAQ.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27111
[2] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27109

Missing Dependencies
----------------------
community/cpanminus --> 'perl-extutils-install>=1.46'
community/cpanminus --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.31'
community/cpanminus --> 'perl-module-build>=0.36'
community/perl-data-optlist --> 'perl-scalar-list-utils'
community/perl-devel-patchperl --> 'perl-io'
community/perl-devel-patchperl --> 'perl-ipc-cmd>=0.40'
community/perl-devel-patchperl --> 'perl-mime-base64'
community/perl-device-gsm --> 'perl-test-simple'
community/perl-local-lib --> 'perl-cpan>=1.82'
community/perl-local-lib --> 'perl-extutils-install>=1.43'
community/perl-local-lib --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.42'
community/perl-local-lib --> 'perl-module-build>=0.36'
community/perl-package-deprecationmanager --> 'perl-carp'
community/perl-package-stash --> 'perl-scalar-list-utils'
community/perl-params-util --> 'perl-scalar-list-utils'
community/perl-sub-install --> 'perl-scalar-list-utils'
community/perl-test-fatal --> 'perl-carp'
community/perl-test-fatal --> 'perl-exporter>=5.57'
community/perl-test-fatal --> 'perl-test-simple'
extra/perl-anyevent --> 'perl-async-interrupt>=1.0'
extra/perl-anyevent --> 'perl-ev>=4.00'
extra/perl-anyevent --> 'perl-guard>=1.02'
extra/perl-libwww --> 'perl-encode>=2.12'
extra/perl-libwww --> 'perl-libnet'
extra/perl-libwww --> 'perl-mime-base64>=2.1'

Missing Makedepends
---------------------
community/perl-data-optlist --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-devel-patchperl --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-dist-checkconflicts --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.31'
community/perl-package-deprecationmanager -->
'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-package-stash --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-package-stash-xs --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-params-util --> 'perl-extutils-cbuilder>=0.27'
community/perl-params-util --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.52'
community/perl-params-util --> 'perl-pathtools'
community/perl-sub-install --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker'
community/perl-test-fatal --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.30'
community/perl-try-tiny --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker'
community/perlbrew --> 'perl-extutils-makemaker>=6.42'
community/perlbrew --> 'perl-file-temp'

Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Florian Pritz

On 01/07/2012 12:10 AM, Qadri wrote:
> Below is an excerpt from the integrity check results from arch-dev-public.
> It seems like most (if not all) of these are provided by perl, though the
> actual packages are in AUR. What is the appropriate solution (before anyone
> says the bugtracker, there are already two bugs about this [1] and [2]). I
> can think of a few solutions:
>
> B) Checking for dependencies (in just the integrity check, if it's not
> already in pacman) in the provides array of packages

After having a look at the integrity check source, it looks like it
should deal with provivions already, but that code is obviously broken.
If you could come up with a fix that would be very nice.

pacman can deal with provision just fine. Try `pacman -S perl-io`.

--
Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Qadri

> After having a look at the integrity check source, it looks like it
> should deal with provivions already, but that code is obviously broken.
> If you could come up with a fix that would be very nice.

:-/ It does look like it handles it fine. I _was_ going to ask if I could
test things out in my local machine without mirroring a whole repo when it
occurred to me that maybe the script is not the bug. The issue is that the
provides array in the perl PKGBUILD is dynamically generated via a perl
script. If I were a lesser person[1], I might comment on the fact that a
package is a make-dependency of itself.

So new question: Is it okay if the dbscript ran an external perl script,
grabbed the output, and parsed that? For just the provides field? For any
field? How many packages use this sort of script (answer - something on the
order of tens)? Make an exception for perl? Ask to have the provides array
static in the PKGBUILD, even if it's dynamically generated at the source?
Or figure out how provisions are actually established in the perl
provides.pl and force (slash ask Mr. Justin Davis to) the script to create
a bash-style environment variable instead of what it currently does (which
seems like just printing the list of provisions)>Abandon it and continue
having perl non-errors in the integrity check?

Thoughts?

MAQ.

[1] Also, if I hadn't tried to see what would happen if I `pacman -Rc
perl`. Who knew that pacman followed from that set (pacman -> curl ->
opennssl -> perl -- I sense a game in the making: What is the longest chain
of dependencies to perl)?