Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Florian Pritz

Default System a bit broken pacman -Syu exists in filesystem

On 04.01.2012 20:23, Lars Madson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My system has two hard drive, one SSD with / and /home/user on two
> partitions and a HDD mounted on /opt and /var.
>
> The HDD failed, and the system works with only the SSD as it was installed
> like this and then extended to the HDD.
>
> Now I'm performing an upgrade of the whole system to get back to normal but
> all files in /usr are making conflict as the /opt and /var are older and
> trying to install files that are already there.

> Or maybe I
> would love some kind of option in pacman that would overwrite or ignore
> those conflicts, I know that's against how pacman is build so I'm asking
> here.

If you are careful you can use --force and pacman will ignore every
existing file and overwrite it. In this case it sounds like this is
justified, but please do NOT use it when you are not absolutely sure
about what you are doing. If --force breaks something it's totally your
fault.

Sorry I'm stressing this so much, but lots of people seem to think using
it is safe or supported, but it's not.

Before you do this, please check if there are any conflicts outside of
those 2 directories (filter pacman output with `grep -v -e ": /opt/" -e
": /var/"`) and also create a backup of them (/opt and /var) in case you
overwrite something you shouldn't.

You should also reinstall every installed package just in case something
hasn't received an update yet. `(pacman -Qq; pacman -Qqm) | sort | uniq
-u` should give you a list of all install package without AUR ones.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Stefan Wilkens

2012/1/4 Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>:
> On 04.01.2012 20:23, Lars Madson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My system has two hard drive, one SSD with / and /home/user on two
>> partitions and a HDD mounted on /opt and /var.
>>
>> The HDD failed, and the system works with only the SSD as it was installed
>> like this and then extended to the HDD.
>>
>> Now I'm performing an upgrade of the whole system to get back to normal but
>> all files in /usr are making conflict as the /opt and /var are older and
>> trying to install files that are already there.
>
>> Or maybe I
>> would love some kind of option in pacman that would overwrite or ignore
>> those conflicts, I know that's against how pacman is build so I'm asking
>> here.
>
> If you are careful you can use --force and pacman will ignore every
> existing file and overwrite it. In this case it sounds like this is
> justified, but please do NOT use it when you are not absolutely sure
> about what you are doing. If --force breaks something it's totally your
> fault.
>
> Sorry I'm stressing this so much, but lots of people seem to think using
> it is safe or supported, but it's not.
>
> Before you do this, please check if there are any conflicts outside of
> those 2 directories (filter pacman output with `grep -v -e ": /opt/" -e
> ": /var/"`) and also create a backup of them (/opt and /var) in case you
> overwrite something you shouldn't.
>
> You should also reinstall every installed package just in case something
> hasn't received an update yet. `(pacman -Qq; pacman -Qqm) | sort | uniq
> -u` should give you a list of all install package without AUR ones.
>
> --
> Florian Pritz

Out of interest, would it be a better option to use a livecd of sorts
to manually move /opt and /var from the SDD to the HDD and adjust the
fstab accordingly?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Florian Pritz

On 04.01.2012 20:51, Stefan Wilkens wrote:
> 2012/1/4 Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at>:
>> On 04.01.2012 20:23, Lars Madson wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My system has two hard drive, one SSD with / and /home/user on two
>>> partitions and a HDD mounted on /opt and /var.
>>>
>>> The HDD failed, and the system works with only the SSD as it was installed
>>> like this and then extended to the HDD.
>>>
>>> Now I'm performing an upgrade of the whole system to get back to normal but
>>> all files in /usr are making conflict as the /opt and /var are older and
>>> trying to install files that are already there.
>>
>>> Or maybe I
>>> would love some kind of option in pacman that would overwrite or ignore
>>> those conflicts, I know that's against how pacman is build so I'm asking
>>> here.
>>
>> If you are careful you can use --force and pacman will ignore every
>> existing file and overwrite it. In this case it sounds like this is
>> justified, but please do NOT use it when you are not absolutely sure
>> about what you are doing. If --force breaks something it's totally your
>> fault.
>> [..]
>> You should also reinstall every installed package just in case something
>> hasn't received an update yet. `(pacman -Qq; pacman -Qqm) | sort | uniq
>> -u` should give you a list of all install package without AUR ones.
>
> Out of interest, would it be a better option to use a livecd of sorts
> to manually move /opt and /var from the SDD to the HDD and adjust the
> fstab accordingly?

Using a live cd is probably the only sane way since /var is going to be
in use by cron/syslog/whatnot.

You'll still have to reinstall everything though because the pacman
database is out of sync with the system.

--
Florian Pritz

Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Lars Madson

Well, the problem is actually caused by the /usr folder cause it's common
to the old and recent /opt /var. So the old feel unsync with this too
recent /usr folder and create conflict cause all the files are already
there.

The /opt /var will be simply updated if I understand right as the pacman
database is in /var, isn't it? So the database is also old.

The HDD is dead. I will rely only on the SSD till I get that second hard
drive box for laptop. I definitely hate cheap hdd external box, killed so
many.

So I will use the --force just for this special occasion, so glad that
option exists.
Nothing has to be force with arch as it's so slick :P

thank you

Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Lars Madson

This --force seems to do it perfectly, I'll take care. Thanks. Arch rules.

Laurent