FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Ionut Biru
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Göran Gustafsson wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I got a few small patches related to esthetical issues that i would like
> to send upstream so everyone else can enjoy them. I'm a little bit lost
> on how i should do this.
>
> The packages i've edited is initscripts, mkinitcpio and filesystem. When
> it comes to initscripts and mkinitcpio i've just cloned the git
> repositories but i'm not sure how i should send the commits upstream.
> git push doesn't work since i don't have the right permissions. I've
> only used github to send pull request before so i'm not that confident
> in git yet. Can i do the same thing with just the git command?
>
> Also, does the filesystem package have a git repository i can use too?
>
> Any help getting started would gladly be appreciated!


send git format patches on arch-projects ml. as a tip, append the
project name in front of the subject lile [initscripts].

super quick wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Super_Quick_Git_Guide

--
Ionuț
 
Old 01-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Florian Pritz
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

On 04.01.2012 20:33, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 01/04/2012 09:28 PM, Gran Gustafsson wrote:
>> Also, does the filesystem package have a git repository i can use too?

No, it's all in packages svn (ABS).

>> Any help getting started would gladly be appreciated!
>
> send git format patches on arch-projects ml. as a tip, append the
> project name in front of the subject lile [initscripts].

> cat =git-archprojects
#!/bin/bash

if (( $# < 2 )); then
echo "usage: ${0##*/}: <project> <options to git send-email>"
exit 1
fi

exec git format-patch --to arch-projects@archlinux.org
--subject-prefix="$1] [PATCH" "${@:2}"

######

This creates the patch files in the current directory so you can review
them. Then run `git send-email *.patch`. (I think they end with .patch,
but I'm not sure right now and I don't wanna test)

>
> super quick wiki:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Super_Quick_Git_Guide
>

You can also ask for help in "irc.freenode.net/#archlinux-projects".

--
Florian Pritz
 
Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Tom Gundersen
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

Hi Gran,

2012/1/4 Gran Gustafsson <gustafsson.g@gmail.com>:
> The packages i've edited is initscripts, mkinitcpio and filesystem. When
> it comes to initscripts and mkinitcpio i've just cloned the git
> repositories but i'm not sure how i should send the commits upstream.
> git push doesn't work since i don't have the right permissions. I've
> only used github to send pull request before so i'm not that confident
> in git yet. Can i do the same thing with just the git command?

I suggest using Florian's script for initscripts+mkinitcpio.

> Also, does the filesystem package have a git repository i can use too?

For the filesystem package you could either open a bug/feature request
(and assign it to me), or send an email/diff to arch-projects.

Cheers,

Tom
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Gran Gustafsson
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 20:54, Florian Pritz <bluewind@xinu.at> wrote:
>> cat =git-archprojects
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if (( $# < 2 )); then
> *echo "usage: ${0##*/}: <project> <options to git send-email>"
> *exit 1
> fi
>
> exec git format-patch --to arch-projects@archlinux.org
> --subject-prefix="$1] [PATCH" "${@:2}"
>
> ######
>
> This creates the patch files in the current directory so you can review
> them. Then run `git send-email *.patch`. (I think they end with .patch,
> but I'm not sure right now and I don't wanna test)

Thanks! I'll give it a shot once i've set up git and msmtp.
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Gran Gustafsson
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 21:14, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi Gran,
>
> 2012/1/4 Gran Gustafsson <gustafsson.g@gmail.com>:
>> The packages i've edited is initscripts, mkinitcpio and filesystem. When
>> it comes to initscripts and mkinitcpio i've just cloned the git
>> repositories but i'm not sure how i should send the commits upstream.
>> git push doesn't work since i don't have the right permissions. I've
>> only used github to send pull request before so i'm not that confident
>> in git yet. Can i do the same thing with just the git command?
>
> I suggest using Florian's script for initscripts+mkinitcpio.
>
>> Also, does the filesystem package have a git repository i can use too?
>
> For the filesystem package you could either open a bug/feature request
> (and assign it to me), or send an email/diff to arch-projects.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

Thanks! I'm gonna give the script a try. The filesystem thing is such
a little thing that i could just as well tell you here. Why don't we
remove hostname from /etc/issue? agetty already tells us the hostname
which makes it pointless.
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Tom Gundersen
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

2012/1/5 Gran Gustafsson <gustafsson.g@gmail.com>:
> The filesystem thing is such
> a little thing that i could just as well tell you here. Why don't we
> remove hostname from /etc/issue? agetty already tells us the hostname
> which makes it pointless.

Hmm... makes sense to me. I'm so used to seeing it that I don't even
notice it, but you are right, it is redundant.

Cheers,

Tom
 
Old 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Thomas Bchler
 
Default Need a little help getting started with contributing

Am 04.01.2012 20:54, schrieb Florian Pritz:
>> cat =git-archprojects
> #!/bin/bash
>
> if (( $# < 2 )); then
> echo "usage: ${0##*/}: <project> <options to git send-email>"
> exit 1
> fi
>
> exec git format-patch --to arch-projects@archlinux.org
> --subject-prefix="$1] [PATCH" "${@:2}"
>
> ######
>
> This creates the patch files in the current directory so you can review
> them. Then run `git send-email *.patch`. (I think they end with .patch,
> but I'm not sure right now and I don't wanna test)

git send-email accepts all options of git format-patch (this is not
immediately clear from the manpage) - you don't need to format-patch as
a separate step.

I don't use a script, but instead type:
git send-email --subject-prefix="initscripts] [PATCH" --to
arch-projects@archlinux.org master..working

Of course, you need to subscribe to arch-projects.

If you post a patch series (with more than 3 patches), it is also very
convenient if you push your tree to github (or anywhere where you can
host git) and provide a URL (in addition to posting the patches).

For more nice features, see the manpages of git-format-patch and
git-send-email.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org