Old 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

Default Terrible flash performance

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 03.01.2012 13:58, schrieb Vladimir Nikšić:
>> A couple of months ago I switched from
>> Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially flawlessly, fullscreen or not.
>
> "A couple of months ago", there was no 64 bit version of the flash
> player, only a 32 bit version.

Nope, I was using a 64bit .so file, downloaded from adobe's site. It
was 10.something but it worked fine.

>> The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
>> libflashplayer.so from adobe's site.
>
> That's because they're the exact same files. Yay for running pointless
> tests. (It's not like we magically modify the closed-source
> libflashplayer.so to behave differently.)

Actually, the one I downloaded from adobe was a slightly higher
version than the one from extras. I had hoped they fixed the problem,
but didn't happen. It didn't occur to me to try the one from AUR, but
it's the same version I downloaded manually.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

> Do you have "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" uncommented
> in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg? I had to comment mine out else I get results
> much like yours.

It was already set to 0. Just as a precaution, I commented it out, but
as expected, no changes.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

> Have you tried switching the hardware acceleration on or off either through
> the interface or the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg file ?

Tried all combinations, no luck.

> For YouTube, you should switch to HTML5 [1].

Yes, I'm well aware of the HTML5 youtube. It's still not up to speed,
as far as stability or functionality as the flash one. It still needs
ironing out. I won't comment on the fullscreen performance though.
I'm probably out of luck for now, html5 it is, at least the fullscreen
works great!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Jelle van der Waa

On 03/01/12 14:47, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
>> Have you tried switching the hardware acceleration on or off either through
>> the interface or the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg file ?
>
> Tried all combinations, no luck.
>
>> For YouTube, you should switch to HTML5 [1].
>
> Yes, I'm well aware of the HTML5 youtube. It's still not up to speed,
> as far as stability or functionality as the flash one. It still needs
> ironing out. I won't comment on the fullscreen performance though.
> I'm probably out of luck for now, html5 it is, at least the fullscreen
> works great!
You could use stuff like minitube for youtube or youtube-dl

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
OK

On 03/01/12 at 02:48pm, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 03/01/12 14:47, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> >> Have you tried switching the hardware acceleration on or off either through
> >> the interface or the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg file ?
> >
> > Tried all combinations, no luck.
> >
> >> For YouTube, you should switch to HTML5 [1].
> >
> > Yes, I'm well aware of the HTML5 youtube. It's still not up to speed,
> > as far as stability or functionality as the flash one. It still needs
> > ironing out. I won't comment on the fullscreen performance though.
> > I'm probably out of luck for now, html5 it is, at least the fullscreen
> > works great!
> You could use stuff like minitube for youtube or youtube-dl

Or youtube-viewer

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

> You could use stuff like minitube for youtube or youtube-dl

I know of minitube, but that's not a replacement for in-browser
youtube, clicking links, multiple tabs, etc...

Old 01-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Bastian Beischer

On a related note, does your flashplayer crash as often as mine does?
I often get chromium notifications that the plugin crashed. Sometimes
I have to refresh some flash page (youtube,...) at least 10 times
before it finally starts playing the video. This is on x86_64 with
flashplugin from extra, but the one from AUR does not work any better.
It happens with and without GPU acceleration.

Bastian

2012/1/3 Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic@gmail.com>

> > You could use stuff like minitube for youtube or youtube-dl
>
> I know of minitube, but that's not a replacement for in-browser
> youtube, clicking links, multiple tabs, etc...

--
Bastian Beischer

I. Physikalisches Institut B (RWTH Aachen)
Sommerfeldstr. 14
52074 Aachen
GERMANY

Office: 28-C-203
Phone: +49 241 - 8027205

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Manne Merak

On 01/03/2012 02:58 PM, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
I have an ongoing problem with flash performance. I tried installing
flashplugin-11.1.102.55-1 from the pacman repositories. The videos on
youtube for example, works fine as long as I don't turn on fullscreen.
The video gets really choppy and the CPU usage spikes to 100% (one
core). I have a Core2Duo on 2ghz. A couple of months ago I switched
from Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially flawlessly,
fullscreen or not.

The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
libflashplayer.so from adobe's site. Does anyone have similar issues?
I also have an Nvidia card which unfortunately does not support GPU
acceleration.

Hi,

I have same flashplugin installed, same CPU, with Nvidia, high res
1920x1200 and fullscreen works fine.

Some more info on your setup is required.
1. Window manager? Browser used?
2. Which Nvidia Card and Driver used?
3. Driver config?
4. Compiz, KDE4 or other effects enabled?
5. What process grabs 100% CPU.
6. What resolution videos are you watching?
That should be good for a start.

Manne

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Manne Merak <mannemerak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have same flashplugin installed, same CPU, with Nvidia, high res 1920x1200
> and fullscreen works fine.

There are some oddities with this flash version. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKv7lyIJts0
This video plays terribly in fullscreen (html5, minitube etc,
fullscreen works great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5irTX82olg
Shakira works great in fullscreen.

Now I'm really confused.

> Some more info on your setup is required.
> 1. *Window manager? Browser used?

XFCE, Chromium, build from extras. Firefox has the same issues.

> 2. *Which Nvidia Card and Driver used?

NVIDIA 7950 GT, driver 290.10.

> 3. *Driver config?

Everything default, didn't change a thing.

> 4. *Compiz, KDE4 or other effects enabled?

I'm running XFCE, absolutely no video effects, I dislike those.

> 5. *What process grabs 100% CPU.

Top reports that chromium grabs 100% CPU.

> 6. *What resolution videos are you watching?

Doesn't matter, even 240p videos are choppy, while some (like shakira,
work OK with 1080p...). Unfortunately most of the videos are choppy.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Manne Merak

On 01/04/2012 01:53 AM, Vladimir Niks(ic' wrote:

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM, Manne Merak<mannemerak@gmail.com> wrote:

I have same flashplugin installed, same CPU, with Nvidia, high res 1920x1200
and fullscreen works fine.

There are some oddities with this flash version. For example...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKv7lyIJts0
This video plays terribly in fullscreen (html5, minitube etc,
fullscreen works great)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5irTX82olg
Shakira works great in fullscreen.

Now I'm really confused.

Some more info on your setup is required.
1. Window manager? Browser used?

XFCE, Chromium, build from extras. Firefox has the same issues.

2. Which Nvidia Card and Driver used?

NVIDIA 7950 GT, driver 290.10.

3. Driver config?

Everything default, didn't change a thing.

That is strange. I have KDE4 will effects (wife likes them and it
works fine.

Long shot, but try adding:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"