Old 01-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Vladimir Nikšić

Default Terrible flash performance

I have an ongoing problem with flash performance. I tried installing
flashplugin-11.1.102.55-1 from the pacman repositories. The videos on
youtube for example, works fine as long as I don't turn on fullscreen.
The video gets really choppy and the CPU usage spikes to 100% (one
core). I have a Core2Duo on 2ghz. A couple of months ago I switched from
Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially flawlessly, fullscreen or not.

The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
libflashplayer.so from adobe's site. Does anyone have similar issues? I
also have an Nvidia card which unfortunately does not support GPU
acceleration.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
OK

On 03/01/12 at 01:58pm, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> I have an ongoing problem with flash performance. I tried installing
> flashplugin-11.1.102.55-1 from the pacman repositories. The videos
> on youtube for example, works fine as long as I don't turn on
> fullscreen. The video gets really choppy and the CPU usage spikes to
> 100% (one core). I have a Core2Duo on 2ghz. A couple of months ago I
> switched from Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially
> flawlessly, fullscreen or not.
>
> The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
> libflashplayer.so from adobe's site. Does anyone have similar
> issues? I also <F11>have an Nvidia card which unfortunately does not
> support GPU acceleration.

Try flashplugin-beta from AUR. It works for me much better than flashplugin from
extra repository.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

> Try flashplugin-beta from AUR. It works for me much better than flashplugin from
> extra repository.

Just tried it. The same thing as from the extra or just
libflashplayer.so placed in the appropriate plugin file. :/

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Alan Ianson

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 13:58:23 +0100
Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an ongoing problem with flash performance. I tried installing
> flashplugin-11.1.102.55-1 from the pacman repositories. The videos on
> youtube for example, works fine as long as I don't turn on
> fullscreen. The video gets really choppy and the CPU usage spikes to
> 100% (one core). I have a Core2Duo on 2ghz. A couple of months ago I
> switched from Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially
> flawlessly, fullscreen or not.
>
> The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
> libflashplayer.so from adobe's site. Does anyone have similar issues?
> I also have an Nvidia card which unfortunately does not support GPU
> acceleration.

Do you have "EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1" uncommented
in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg? I had to comment mine out else I get results
much like yours.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Cédric Girard

2012/1/3 Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic@gmail.com>

> I have an ongoing problem with flash performance. I tried installing
> flashplugin-11.1.102.55-1 from the pacman repositories. The videos on
> youtube for example, works fine as long as I don't turn on fullscreen. The
> video gets really choppy and the CPU usage spikes to 100% (one core).

Have you tried switching the hardware acceleration on or off either through
the interface or the /etc/adobe/mms.cfg file ?
For YouTube, you should switch to HTML5 [1].

[1] http://www.youtube.com/html5

--
Cédric Girard

Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 03.01.2012 13:58, schrieb Vladimir Nikšić:
> A couple of months ago I switched from
> Ubuntu where youtube was working essentially flawlessly, fullscreen or not.

"A couple of months ago", there was no 64 bit version of the flash
player, only a 32 bit version.

> The same issue occurs on manually downloaded the latest 64bit
> libflashplayer.so from adobe's site.

That's because they're the exact same files. Yay for running pointless
tests. (It's not like we magically modify the closed-source
libflashplayer.so to behave differently.)