Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Karol Blazewicz

Default Question about visudo and info in the Wiki

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Don Juan <donjuansjiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> But if you are USER root you don't need to run sudo, so hence wouldn't running EDITOR=nano visudo
> not work if you are a root user, since sudo is not involved?

visudo uses the EDITOR / VISUAL vars, see the man page:

ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables may be consulted depending on the
value of the editor and env_editor sudoers variables:
VISUAL Invoked by visudo as the editor to use
EDITOR Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set

See, these variables are used *by visudo*. As you said, sudo is needed
only for the user, otherwise I get 'visudo: /etc/sudoers: Permission
denied'.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Don Juan

But if you are USER root you don't need to run sudo, so hence wouldn't running EDITOR=nano visudo
not work if you are a root user, since sudo is not involved?

visudo uses the EDITOR / VISUAL vars, see the man page:

ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variables may be consulted depending on the
value of the editor and env_editor sudoers variables:
VISUAL Invoked by visudo as the editor to use
EDITOR Used by visudo if VISUAL is not set

See, these variables are used *by visudo*. As you said, sudo is needed
only for the user, otherwise I get 'visudo: /etc/sudoers: Permission
denied'.
Thanks I get it now. Sorry for the noise, appreciate your time and
effort.