Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Jonathan Vasquez

Default Using the new 'extramodules' directory in linux-* packages

I would go with either

/lib/modules/extramodules/<kernel>/

or

/lib/modules/<kernel>/extramodules/

But maybe this is just semantics and I'm just picky about directory
structure.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

Thanks for the response, but please don't top-post =)

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Jonathan Vasquez
<jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would go with either
>
> /lib/modules/extramodules/<kernel>/
>
> or
>
> /lib/modules/<kernel>/extramodules/
>
> But maybe this is just semantics and I'm just picky about directory
> structure.

To make it clear, I'm not asking about changing where 'extramodules'
goes, as that's up to the devs. I'm asking whether my package (and my
own scripts) should be using the 'general' extramodules folder (which
they would in the end no matter what).

Your first suggestion doesn't make sense because that would defeat the
purpose of having 'extramodules' in the first place (so minor kernel
version updates do not need rebuilding of modules). The second one is
currently symlinked to /lib/modules/extramodules-<kernel>

Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Jonathan Vasquez

Hmm I always reply in a top post way since I see it as a faster way to get
the answer from the person without having to continuously scroll down. Also
the quoted text (below the post) is history. It is only Hmm I always reply
in a top post way since I see it as a faster way to get the answer from the
person without having to continuously scroll down. Also the quoted text
(below the post) is history. It is only there as reference of the
conversation, while what is at the top is the current trend. I will
bottom-post from now on since I'm assuming that's what the Arch community
uses. as reference of the conversation, while what is at the top is the

On Dec 29, 2011 3:56 AM, "Oon-Ee Ng" <ngoonee.talk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the response, but please don't top-post =)
>
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Jonathan Vasquez
> <jvasquez1011@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would go with either
> >
> > /lib/modules/extramodules/<kernel>/
> >
> > or
> >
> > /lib/modules/<kernel>/extramodules/
> >
> > But maybe this is just semantics and I'm just picky about directory
> > structure.
>
> To make it clear, I'm not asking about changing where 'extramodules'
> goes, as that's up to the devs. I'm asking whether my package (and my
> own scripts) should be using the 'general' extramodules folder (which
> they would in the end no matter what).
>
> Your first suggestion doesn't make sense because that would defeat the
> purpose of having 'extramodules' in the first place (so minor kernel
> version updates do not need rebuilding of modules). The second one is
> currently symlinked to /lib/modules/extramodules-<kernel>

I referred to the first location since I was looking at it more from a
dedicated folder view, where each subject gets its own folder. Maybe you
could lower the location by one and noe touch it if its a minor revision.

/lib/modules/<kernel>/
/lib/extramodules/<kernel>/

There may also be a symlink from the extramodule dir to the corresponding
kernel in the modules dir to connect them together.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Jonathan Vasquez

You are correct. I just let my email application automatically handle the
quoting.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Patrick Burroughs

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 14:01, Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
> E-mail applications, particularly Google Mail, don't always follow the
> common standards. So if Google Mail doesn't respect the Netiquette and
> the common internet standards, you should interfere and refinish what
> it does automatically or use an e-mail application which do respect
> the standards. It's pretty easy.

I don't see that Gmail does anything wrong. It starts you off at the
top of the email, yes — this lets you select what quoted material you
wish to keep, because Gmail can't possibly know what you want to
respond to. Perhaps Gmail could start you off at the bottom of the
email, or not quote anything by default and just present you with a
blank slate, but either of these ends up requiring more effort than
the default behaviour.

This is a purely a matter of netiquette, and can't be blamed on the application.

~Celti

Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Oon-Ee Ng

On Dec 30, 2011 5:14 AM, "Patrick Burroughs" <celticmadman@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a purely a matter of netiquette, and can't be blamed on the
application.

> ~Celti

While top-posting discussions are interesting and all, I'd really prefer an
answer to my initial query on extramodules

Old 12-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Andrzej Giniewicz

This is something I wanted to ask too, cause I'm dealing with
wacom-drivers package - and there I have an updated version of
standard module. For now I use

/lib/modules/3.1.*-*-ARCH/updates

for this purpose and it works, but there is no

/lib/modules/updates-3.1/

so users need to rebuild after every minor version. I though, that
since in depmod.d there is file with

search updates extramodules built-in

I would be able to use extramodules-3.1 to override default kernel
module, but it turned out it is not enough:

[giniu@raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ pwd
/lib/modules/3.1.5-1-ARCH
[giniu@raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ find extramodules/
extramodules/
extramodules/wacom.ko
extramodules/nvidia.ko.gz
extramodules/version
extramodules/wacom_w8001.ko
[giniu@raven3 3.1.5-1-ARCH]$ modinfo wacom | head -n 1
filename:
/lib/modules/3.1.5-1-ARCH/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko.gz

as you see, it still uses default one (I performed depmod -a). So, is
there any way to not only place new modules without requiring users to
rebuild every time, but also update modules that way? I don't know if
I missed something obvious, or something... anyone got it working?

Andrzej.