Old 12-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Oon-Ee Ng

Default Using the new 'extramodules' directory in linux-* packages

I'm the maintainer of nvidia-beta-all -

The nature of the package is that to provide the nvidia-beta driver
for all currently installed kernels. I use some horrible tricks to
accomplish that involving scanning the kernel images in /boot

With the recent changes to include the 'extramodules' directory, I
recently found time to modify a small portion of the PKGBUILD to place
the nvidia.ko files in /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1.*/ directories
instead of in /lib/modules/3.1.*/kernel/drivers/video. Saves me (and
others) re-building of the package.

I also have my own script which does the same module-building for
virtualbox (for all kernels instead of only the running one) which
I've been using since before virtualbox-source existed (with its own
highly complete and complicated vboxbuild script). While looking at my
script and comparing it with vboxbuild from virtualbox-source, I
noticed that that script placed modules in
/lib/modules/3.1.*-*-ARCH/extramodules rather than in
/lib/modules/extramodules-3.1.*-*-ARCH

Is this (the former) location recommended over what I'm currently
doing (the latter)?

If I'm not mistaken, placing the module in the former would result in
'left-behind' symlinks/directories in /lib/modules which placing the
module in the latter would not?

Thanks for the clarification (and for reading this).