Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Jonathan Vasquez

Default Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of Pulseaudio?

I believe you have to remove each package that pulseaudio depends on. You
can reinstall them after.

--
Jonathan Vasquez

Old 12-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Jonathan Vasquez

You could do that by doing pacman -Rsc pulseaudio .. but be extremely
careful with that command. It deletes everything recursively down
(cascading as man pacman puts it).

--
Jonathan Vasquez

Old 12-23-2011, 08:32 AM
"ali.mousavi@gmail.com"

you can't use gnome 3 without pulse audio. if you don't want to use pulse
audio, consider using another DE or WM.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Stefan Wilkens

Pulse recently replaced esound as the dependent sound server for
gnome[1], esound has been marked dead.

You might have some relative success if you drop pulse and do some
per-application configuration to redirect their default output to alsa
or OSS. While this would work for applications such as gstreamer
(gstreamer-properties), pidgin, vlc, mplayer.. you will find yourself
with a broken gnome. You'll need a new mixer application, setup
software mixing (or hardware if your card privides) etc.

You may find life simpler by disabling [2] pulse, rather than removing it.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/PulseAudio
[2] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=928817#p928817

--
msn: stefan_wilkens@hotmail.com
e-mail: stefanwilkens@gmail.com

Old 12-23-2011, 08:39 AM
C Anthony Risinger

On Dec 23, 2011 2:41 AM, "Ralf Madorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> Is there a clean solution to get completely rid of PA?

Do not install an application requiring it?

You'll need to provide context about what you're trying to accomplish
(clear and simple goals) and what you've already done (eg. I ran command
xyz, I installed gnome, etc ...)

So far we've only learned PA probably sux, you don't want it on you system,
and some random bits about Debian ;-) ... best to assume nothing of the
solution since that's what you are here requesting. Simply state your
end-goals, the issue(s), and the path taken thus far.

IIRC PA is split into a library package, among others. Many pkgs will dep
libpulse, but it cannot be loaded (or possibly will not) without the
accompanying support packages.

Audio is not my thing, but I absorb passively often as possible. PA will
play nicely with other impls by suspending itself and releasing the
hardware when requested, allowing (JACK and ?) others to assume control.
My guess is there is not an issue here ... I suggest moving forward until a
concrete problem is encountered, or running headless.

While I'm not into pro audio, I do use PA successfully on several machines
daily with great satisfaction and zero issue; be sure you understand the
difference between ALSA, alsa-lib, and PA.

--

C Anthony [mobile]

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Kwpolska

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Ralf Madorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 11:27 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> >
>> > # pacman -Rss pulseaudio
>> > checking dependencies...
>> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> > :: gnome-settings-daemon: requires pulseaudio
>> > :: pulseaudio-alsa: requires pulseaudio
>> >

>> ok then, gnome requires pulseaudio. The only way to get rid of
>> pulseaudio is to get rid of gnome.
>
> 1.
>
> At the moment only GDM is installed, not GNOME.

GDM is a part of GNOME, it pulls one bazillion GNOME dependencies, and
one of them is, in fact, PulseAudio.

> 2.
>
> I had GNOME3 installed for Debian and 2 dummy packages solved all
> issues, since GNOME3 doesn't need PA, just some "my computer should be a
> toy, instead of a tool" tasks need PA.
>
> Okay, if the policy of Arch Linux is to force people to install unneeded
> stuff, than it simply isn't the distro I should use.

Don't blame Arch. It is GNOME's fault, because they are too lazy to
use something more universal rather than sticking with Pulse.

On the other thought, you are an idiot anyways, and it would be better
to get you out of there. Arch IS NOT a distro for idiots that can't
read the pacman output.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail * * *| always bottom-post

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 AM
fredbezies

2011/12/23 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 11:27 +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:
>> >
>> > # pacman -Rss pulseaudio
>> > checking dependencies...
>> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> > :: gnome-settings-daemon: requires pulseaudio
>> > :: pulseaudio-alsa: requires pulseaudio
>> >

>> ok then, gnome requires pulseaudio. The only way to get rid of
>> pulseaudio is to get rid of gnome.
>
> 1.
>
> At the moment only GDM is installed, not GNOME.
>
> 2.
>
> I had GNOME3 installed for Debian and 2 dummy packages solved all
> issues, since GNOME3 doesn't need PA, just some "my computer should be a
> toy, instead of a tool" tasks need PA.
>
> Okay, if the policy of Arch Linux is to force people to install unneeded
> stuff, than it simply isn't the distro I should use.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralf

No. The policy of Archlinux is to provide software which are as closed
as possible from upstream. Fill free to use a distribution which
tweaks to death software.

Have a good day.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM
fredbezies

2011/12/23 Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 13:02 +0330, ali.mousavi@gmail.com wrote:
>> you can't use gnome 3 without pulse audio. if you don't want to use pulse
>> audio, consider using another DE or WM.
>
> At the moment I'm using Xfce only, but I will have the libre to use
> GNOME3 too, since it works without PA. It did work without PA for my
> Debian.

s/libre/freedom

So stick with debian.

> As mentioned before, at the moment only GDM is installed.

Which is the dm of gnome.

> Btw. for what tasks PA is needed? I don't know any task that's relevant
> for a DAW. But having the libre to use every DE for a DAW should be
> possible.

libre is french term for freedom. As it is said before : stick with
debian, and stop spamming this list, for god sake !

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Jonathan Vasquez

Arch Linux stands by being as close as possible to upstream. If upstream
makes a decision, Arch follows it. Arch hardly patches anything at all. So
basically whatever packages you get when you try to install something, is
the way that upstream wanted those packages to be installed.

--
Jonathan Vasquez

Old 12-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Jonathan Vasquez

You should speak to GNOME about why they require PA. If Debian doesn't
require it, then they most likely patched it to not require it. Arch
doesn't really patch .. avoids it if possible.

--
Jonathan Vasquez