Old 12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default pacman -Syu fails due to conflict with mtab?

Guys,

Just a quick question. Upgrade failed due to conflict with mtab:

<snip>
(67/67) checking for file conflicts
[#######################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

How should I handle this? I don't think it would be a good idea to replace an
active mtab with --force. What say the experts?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Jonathan Vasquez

It's posted on the main page

Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Angel Velásquez

Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Norbert Zeh

Jonathan Vasquez [2011.12.22 1128 -0500]:
> It's posted on the main page
> On Dec 22, 2011 11:27 AM, "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > Just a quick question. Upgrade failed due to conflict with mtab:
> >
> > <snip>
> > (67/67) checking for file conflicts
> > [#######################################] 100%
> > error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> > filesystem: /etc/mtab exists in filesystem
> > Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
> >
> > How should I handle this? I don't think it would be a good idea to
> > replace an
> > active mtab with --force. What say the experts?
> >
> > --
> > David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Slightly OT: Interestingly enough, I did exactly what the news item says not to
do: deleted the mtab file and then ran pacman -Suy. This didn't cause any
trouble at my end.

N.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:35:30 -0400
Norbert Zeh <nzeh@cs.dal.ca> wrote:

> Slightly OT: Interestingly enough, I did exactly what the news item says not
> to do: deleted the mtab file and then ran pacman -Suy. This didn't cause any
> trouble at my end.
>
> N.

This is because you didn't have space checks enabled. From man 5 pacman.conf:
CheckSpace
Performs an approximate check for adequate available disk space
before installing packages.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Angel Velásquez

On 22/12/11 14:40, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 12/22/2011 11:19 AM, Angel Velásquez wrote:
>> The experts, normal people, and even noobs like me would say to
>> you .. PLEASE READ THE NEWS DUDE, (its like the 5th time you
>> write a mail asking questions, when the solution it's posted on
>> the front page)..
>
>> Don't you think you're big enough to learn this amazing trick?
>
>> Geez....
>
> Johnathan responded in a civil helpful tone. You would do well to
> learn from his example.

Yes he did a top-posty e-mail (again showing that people doesn't fit
well with the netetiquette) that was useful to you. I think he will do
that until the day that he will realize that you're always asking this
kind of questions (solved questions that you're lazy to look).

Why don't you reconsider to stop asking before read the whole
website?, the rest of the people is beging you to do it!. This is not
your first, second or third time you have done this, remember that you
have asked solved stuff several times.

I'm being uncivil with you, because you finished my patience level,
and it's untolerable to get mails from you everytime you can't look
the website.

Instead of acusing me of being uncivil, I hope you learn the lesson,
it's not so hard, and i'm confident you can.

This is the correct workflow before you ask:

1) archlinux.org
2) if !1 .. www.google.com
3) if !2 bbs.archlinux.org or this list

Please reconsider your asking workflow, you can't hope for civilized
answers when the answer is there but you're to lazy to give a look,
and give us a mail breaking our balls...

But don't worry, now i've added you to a special label and your mails
are automatically moved to trash. Thanks for wasting our time.

Oh btw, i've said the same to you before, in a civilized way and you
didn't replied or ignored, I'm being civilized in this e-mail again
(being honest doesn't make me uncivilized) .. so I hope you get the point.

Thanks.

- --
Angel Velásquez
angvp @ irc.freenode.net
Arch Linux Developer / Trusted User
Linux Counter: #359909
http://www.angvp.com

Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti

2011/12/22 Angel Velásquez <angvp@archlinux.org>:

> On 22/12/11 14:40, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 12/22/2011 11:19 AM, Angel Velásquez wrote:
>>> The experts, normal people, and even noobs like me would say to
>>> you .. PLEASE READ THE NEWS DUDE, (its like the 5th time you
>>> write a mail asking questions, when the solution it's posted on
>>> the front page)..
>>
>>> Don't you think you're big enough to learn this amazing trick?
>>
>>> Geez....
>>
>> Johnathan responded in a civil helpful tone. You would do well to
>> learn from his example.
>>

> Yes he did a top-posty e-mail (again showing that people doesn't fit
> well with the netetiquette) that was useful to you. I think he will do
> that until the day that he will realize that you're always asking this
> kind of questions (solved questions that you're lazy to look).
>
> Why don't you reconsider to stop asking before read the whole
> website?, the rest of the people is beging you to do it!. This is not
> your first, second or third time you have done this, remember that you
> have asked solved stuff several times.
>
> I'm being uncivil with you, because you finished my patience level,
> and it's untolerable to get mails from you everytime you can't look
> the website.
>
> Instead of acusing me of being uncivil, I hope you learn the lesson,
> it's not so hard, and i'm confident you can.
>
> This is the correct workflow before you ask:
>
> 1) archlinux.org
> 2) if !1 .. www.google.com
> 3) if !2 bbs.archlinux.org or this list
>
> Please reconsider your asking workflow, you can't hope for civilized
> answers when the answer is there but you're to lazy to give a look,
> and give us a mail breaking our balls...
>
> But don't worry, now i've added you to a special label and your mails
> are automatically moved to trash. Thanks for wasting our time.
>
> Oh btw, i've said the same to you before, in a civilized way and you
> didn't replied or ignored, I'm being civilized in this e-mail again
> (being honest doesn't make me uncivilized) .. so I hope you get the point.
>
> Thanks.

+1.