Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

Default Question regarding the default file manager in XFCE

I'm using xfce wm. I rarely even use a file manager, I do things through
the console almost all the time, but sometimes I need a file manager,
makes some things easier.

Thunar as a file manager is OK, but nautilus is a lot more powerful, has
decent tab implementation etc, etc, doesn't really matter. I went to
settings -> preferred application and selected Nautilus under File
Manager. This works only to the extent that when I click on Application
Menu and then file manager, Nautilus starts up.

I would like it so that Nautilus starts when I click on a directory or
some sort of volume (loop mount, usb stick, whatever, nfs share) on the
desktop. Instead, thunar always starts, which kinda defeats the whole
purpose of the preferred application setup?

Am I asking something that's technically difficult or maybe there's a
good reason why this can't be done?

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 PM
"Mantas M."

On 2011-12-19 17:42, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> I would like it so that Nautilus starts when I click on a directory or
> some sort of volume (loop mount, usb stick, whatever, nfs share) on the
> desktop. Instead, thunar always starts, which kinda defeats the whole
> purpose of the preferred application setup?
>
> Am I asking something that's technically difficult or maybe there's a
> good reason why this can't be done?

I think this is handled by the same XDG 'mimeapps.list' which contains
file type associations. Just add an entry for "inode/directory" pointing
to Nautilus:

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

[Default Applications]
inode/directory=nautilus.desktop

--
Mantas M.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 PM
David Rosenstrauch

[...]

I took an alternate approach. On Windows, the Windows+E key combination
on the keyboard brings up the Windows Explorer file manager, and is a
key combo that I got used to when working on Windows. So under XFCE, I
just set up a similar key combo to launch my preferred file manager (KDE
Konqueror).

Not sure this is an ideal solution to your problem, but perhaps it might
be a workaround.

HTH,

DR

Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Heiko Baums

Am Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:32:42 +0100
schrieb Vladimir Nikšić <vniksic@gmail.com>:

> Tried that, didn't work. I even restarted X to be sure it's lodaded,
> but Thunar still always loads. I think the mimeapps.list may be on to
> something, not sure. I'll look into it more.

Try this:
"Settings -> Preferred Applications -> Utilities"

Heiko

Old 12-20-2011, 01:40 PM
gt

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 02:32:42PM +0100, Vladimir Nikšić wrote:
> > I think this is handled by the same XDG 'mimeapps.list' which contains
> > file type associations. Just add an entry for "inode/directory" pointing
> > to Nautilus:
> >
> > * *~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
> >
> > * *[Default Applications]
> > * *inode/directory=nautilus.desktop
>
> Tried that, didn't work. I even restarted X to be sure it's lodaded,
> but Thunar still always loads. I think the mimeapps.list may be on to
> something, not sure. I'll look into it more.

from ubuntuforums:

sudo mv /usr/bin/xfdesktop /usr/bin/xfdesktop-off
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/bin/xfdesktop

more here:

But, i don't know if symlinking is such a good idea. Moreover there'll
be no desktop icons.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

sudo mv /usr/bin/xfdesktop /usr/bin/xfdesktop-off
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/bin/xfdesktop

more here:

But, i don't know if symlinking is such a good idea. Moreover there'll
be no desktop icons.

Nah, that's not such a great idea. Maybe I could use Nautilus to draw
the entire desktop, avoiding xfdesktop altogether?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Vladimir Nikšić

I took an alternate approach. On Windows, the Windows+E key combination
on the keyboard brings up the Windows Explorer file manager, and is a
key combo that I got used to when working on Windows. So under XFCE, I
just set up a similar key combo to launch my preferred file manager (KDE
Konqueror).

Not sure this is an ideal solution to your problem, but perhaps it might
be a workaround.

That's a good idea, I'll use it for now, as I can quickly traverse the
directories via CTRL+L in nautilus. Still looking into the original
problem though.