Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Ivan Sichmann Freitas

Default Xmonad session fails since upgrade

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 07:08:50PM +0100, Mathias Huber wrote:
> However, since the latest "pacman -Syu" GDM just tells me it was
> unable to start the Xmonad session. I've issued "xmonad --recompile"
> several times, which didn't help. "~/.xmonad/xmonad.errors" is brand
> new, but empty.

I've -Syu'ed and (0.10) xmonad still works here. But I start it from .xinitrc
instead of using a login manager.

--
Ivan Sichmann Freitas
GNU/Linux user #509059

Old 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Mathias Huber

Am 18.12.2011 20:01, schrieb Ivan Sichmann Freitas:

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 07:08:50PM +0100, Mathias Huber wrote:

However, since the latest "pacman -Syu" GDM just tells me it was
unable to start the Xmonad session. I've issued "xmonad --recompile"
several times, which didn't help. "~/.xmonad/xmonad.errors" is brand
new, but empty.

I've -Syu'ed and (0.10) xmonad still works here. But I start it from .xinitrc
instead of using a login manager.

It may be more of a GDM/Gnome-issue really: I've just successfully
called "xmonad --replace", which gave me working Xmonad but a crashed
Gnome (which suggested I log out, but I didn't).

Best,
Mathias

Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Ethan Schoonover

Try nuking your $HOME/.Xauthority prior to starting xmonad from
.xinitrc. I had a spate of similar problems that were only solved by
removing it in my bash .profile script on each login. No longer seems
to be necessary, I never tracked down the root cause, but the solution
(rm .Xauthority) was solid. Apologies for the voodoo advice.

Ethan Schoonover
Github/Freenode: altercation - Solarized: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized