Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Ralf Madorf

Default OT: clipped video output with multihead

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 12:23 +0000, Mauro Santos wrote:
> Come again? VLC and mplayer have always been able to happily play
> everything I've thrown at them while many windows players crap
> themselves out because they either don't know how to handle the
> container, video or audio.

I don't have experiences with Microsoft and Apple. I don't have much
experiences with consumer equipment, regarding to audio and video,
unfortunately I do have some experiences .

By all means, I recommend to test Totem and VLC.

I'm interested in multimedia and I switched to Arch Linux for good
reasons.
I always recommend to use Linux only, even for pro audio, but this go
along with disadvantages . You might read
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2011-December/082389.html

There are solutions for audio, but for video I suspect unlikeable OS to
have advantages .

IMO it's brutal truth.

I really hope I'm mistaken and you are right.

Ralf

Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 AM
李凌

smplayer is good.

在 2011年12月18日 下午8:35,Ralf Madorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>写道:

Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
Kevin Chadwick

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 13:35:35 +0100
Ralf Madorf wrote:

> There are solutions for audio, but for video I suspect unlikeable OS to
> have advantages .

Considering a lot of the digital signage industry uses Linux on many
screens I suspect it can handle video just fine. Flash in a browser has
crap performance for two reasons a badly written flash player and maybe
needs gpu access set-up and because rendering in browsers is
inefficient anyway, I wish they'd look at that, rather than dumb
javascript stats that break some of the grsecurity kernel security
patches features. By default non-free codecs may be a problem and
apparently xine is thought to be most reliable for dvds and probably a
lot of codecs etc..

Whatever platform you use, no single format will work on all by default.
I thought I'd found one (mpeg2 with expired copyright), untill I tried
it on a playbook?, I think. Which is why Google are pushing vp8 but
getting resistance from Apple.