Old 12-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Ralf Madorf

Default clipped video output with multihead

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>
> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> 162 audio & 361 video codecs
>
> I get the following display problem on screen 2

Linux isn't the best choice for video. Thanks to Robin we've got Ardour3
video timeline http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl (so I won back hope I already
had lost) but this is a little bit OT, regarding to your request.

Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
install all video players that are available.

Linux is bad regarding to audio and video containers and even if Linux
is used for some tasks by professional film studios, it's impossible to
use it for professional serious basics such as NLE or even for consumer
usages like playing common Internet videos or transforming container
formats.

Try another Linux video player, perhaps with another backend, what ever
your problem playing videos might be.

2 Cents,

Ralf

PS: I experienced tries solving video issues as much too time consuming,
that seldom had success. Trying several media players/backends always
was the better way for me to go. YMMV.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Ralf Madorf

PPS: There was a request at Ubuntu Studio users list what to use as the
default video player.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2011-December/008049.html

Suggested was TOTEM, some preferred VLC, nobody was thinking of
MPlayer .

Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Mauro Santos

On 18-12-2011 11:40, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
>> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>>
>> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
>> 162 audio & 361 video codecs
>>
>> I get the following display problem on screen 2
>
> Linux isn't the best choice for video. Thanks to Robin we've got Ardour3
> video timeline http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl (so I won back hope I already
> had lost) but this is a little bit OT, regarding to your request.

OP was asking for help with playback, not editing.

> Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
> install all video players that are available.
>
> Linux is bad regarding to audio and video containers and even if Linux
> is used for some tasks by professional film studios, it's impossible to
> use it for professional serious basics such as NLE or even for consumer
> usages like playing common Internet videos or transforming container
> formats.

Come again? VLC and mplayer have always been able to happily play
everything I've thrown at them while many windows players crap
themselves out because they either don't know how to handle the
container, video or audio.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 18/12/11 13:23, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 18-12-2011 11:40, Ralf Madorf wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
>>> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>>>
>>> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
>>> 162 audio & 361 video codecs
>>>
>>> I get the following display problem on screen 2
>>
>> Linux isn't the best choice for video. Thanks to Robin we've got Ardour3
>> video timeline http://rg42.org/wiki/a3vtl (so I won back hope I already
>> had lost) but this is a little bit OT, regarding to your request.
>>

> OP was asking for help with playback, not editing.
>
>> Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
>> install all video players that are available.
>>
>> Linux is bad regarding to audio and video containers and even if Linux
>> is used for some tasks by professional film studios, it's impossible to
>> use it for professional serious basics such as NLE or even for consumer
>> usages like playing common Internet videos or transforming container
>> formats.
>>

> Come again? VLC and mplayer have always been able to happily play
> everything I've thrown at them while many windows players crap
> themselves out because they either don't know how to handle the
> container, video or audio.
>
>> Try another Linux video player, perhaps with another backend, what ever
>> your problem playing videos might be.
>>
>> 2 Cents,
>>
>> Ralf
>>
>> PS: I experienced tries solving video issues as much too time consuming,
>> that seldom had success. Trying several media players/backends always
>> was the better way for me to go. YMMV.

Might be the video driver? Since doesn't mplayer/vlc/totem all use
ffmpeg? Try ffplay i'd say.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Jesse Jaara

Did you try with differend backends? xv/gl/(vdpau)

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 09:41 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> El 18/12/11 08:40, Ralf Madorf escribió:
> > On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 01:10 -0300, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> >> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
> >>
> >> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> >> 162 audio& 361 video codecs
> >>
> >> I get the following display problem on screen 2
> > Did you try several video players with different backends? I usually
> > install all video players that are available.
> >

> I think it is not a problem of the video player, but it's xserver fault.
>
> with VLC I have the same problem,
> http://i39.tinypic.com/ncxod3.png
>
> With 3d games I do not experience this issue, tested with neverball.
>
> Also, with tvtime (video4linux, for displaying content through your tv
> pci/pcie card) I get the same problem.

Currently I don't have access to a video player. But IIRC they provide
options how to display videos. Usually we use a mode that makes it
impossible to take an 'averaged' screen shot, but there are other modes
that are slower (enabling 'averaged' screen shots), but those could work
anyway and sometimes those modes avoid some failure. Perhaps you could
try options regarding to the way the video is displayed by X.

No knowledge, just a shot in the dark.

Ralf

Old 12-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Ralf Madorf

On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 14:56 +0200, Jesse Jaara wrote:
> Did you try with differend backends? xv/gl/(vdpau)

Again, I agree, backends for what ever! Interpretation of the codecs
might be important too. Dunno, but I guess Jesse refers to some X
related thingies. I experienced differences using those 'thingies'
myself, but I don't have any knowledge.

- Ralf

Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Jelle van der Waa

On 18/12/11 14:05, Ralf Madorf wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-18 at 14:56 +0200, Jesse Jaara wrote:
>> Did you try with differend backends? xv/gl/(vdpau)
>
> Again, I agree, backends for what ever! Interpretation of the codecs
> might be important too. Dunno, but I guess Jesse refers to some X
> related thingies. I experienced differences using those 'thingies'
> myself, but I don't have any knowledge.
>
> - Ralf

If you have no knowledge, then just don't respond. Jesse actually raises
a valid point, try another backend vdpau can cause some problems here
for me.

mplayer -vo xv or mplayer -vo gl . To test different backends ( also
see mplayer -vo help , for the different kinds of backends )

Else it might be an X bug, so be sure to report it or check the mailing
list/ bug tracker if there is any known bug.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 12-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Mauro Santos

On 18-12-2011 04:10, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>
> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
> 162 audio & 361 video codecs

Can you give mplayer (just mplayer, not mplayer2) a try? I've had
problems with mplayer2 before, not with video playback but with
subtitles. I'm not familiar with tvtime so I can't provide any comments
about it.

As for mplayer try using a different video out driver, use
'mplayer -vo driver video_file'

You can get a list of drivers with 'mplayer -vo help'. Some that may be
worth trying are: xv (most probably the one mplayer auto selects), x11,
sdl, gl, gl2, gl_nosw. Some of these might not have any form of
acceleration so they may be slow or cpu intensive but will do for
testing as you may be hitting some bug in the drivers.

Also try with vlc and check if the same happens, I think vlc will also
try to use xv and if the problem is the same it might help to determine
what the problem is.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Mauro Santos

On 18-12-2011 14:15, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 18-12-2011 04:10, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
>> When I play a video with mplayer2 (also happens with tvtime)
>>
>> MPlayer2 2.0-379-ge3f5043 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
>> 162 audio & 361 video codecs
>
> Can you give mplayer (just mplayer, not mplayer2) a try? I've had
> problems with mplayer2 before, not with video playback but with
> subtitles. I'm not familiar with tvtime so I can't provide any comments
> about it.
>
> As for mplayer try using a different video out driver, use
> 'mplayer -vo driver video_file'
>
> You can get a list of drivers with 'mplayer -vo help'. Some that may be
> worth trying are: xv (most probably the one mplayer auto selects), x11,
> sdl, gl, gl2, gl_nosw. Some of these might not have any form of
> acceleration so they may be slow or cpu intensive but will do for
> testing as you may be hitting some bug in the drivers.
>
> Also try with vlc and check if the same happens, I think vlc will also
> try to use xv and if the problem is the same it might help to determine
> what the problem is.

Phone calls and lunch got in the way of writing a reply and this was
already suggested and tried, sorry for the noise as this as nothing to add.

As for tv time, if it uses mplayer as a backend then it might read
~/.mplayer/config. If it does then you can set the video out driver in
the config file with a line:
vo=driver

--
Mauro Santos