Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Myra Nelson

Default libgsf update

What is the proper procedure for updating libgsf. Per the commit message
libgnome-gsf was dropped because upstream dropped it. When trying to update
the following error occurs.

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) ::
libgsf-gnome: requires libgsf=1.14.21.

I realize I can complete the update by pacman -Suf or pacman -Rdd
libgsf-gnome then install the libgsf update but would think this would be
handled by an install file included with the package. I would prefer not to
bork my box so I thought I would ask first for a change.

Thanks for your assistance.

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Ionut Biru

On 12/18/2011 10:31 AM, Myra Nelson wrote:
> What is the proper procedure for updating libgsf. Per the commit message
> libgnome-gsf was dropped because upstream dropped it. When trying to update
> the following error occurs.
>
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) ::
> libgsf-gnome: requires libgsf=1.14.21.

libgsf-gnome was dropped by upstream in 1.14.22 and by us now since
nothing in our repos depend on it.

pacman -Rs libgsf-gnome

> I realize I can complete the update by pacman -Suf or pacman -Rdd
> libgsf-gnome then install the libgsf update but would think this would be
> handled by an install file included with the package. I would prefer not to
> bork my box so I thought I would ask first for a change.

now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
forcing updates when dependencies are not met!

Stop using -f.

--
Ionuț

Old 12-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Myra Nelson

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 09:01, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

> On 12/18/2011 10:31 AM, Myra Nelson wrote:
> > What is the proper procedure for updating libgsf. Per the commit message
> > libgnome-gsf was dropped because upstream dropped it. When trying to
> update
> > the following error occurs.
> >
> > error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) ::
> > libgsf-gnome: requires libgsf=1.14.21.
> >

> libgsf-gnome was dropped by upstream in 1.14.22 and by us now since
> nothing in our repos depend on it.
>
> pacman -Rs libgsf-gnome
>
> > I realize I can complete the update by pacman -Suf or pacman -Rdd
> > libgsf-gnome then install the libgsf update but would think this would be
> > handled by an install file included with the package. I would prefer not
> > bork my box so I thought I would ask first for a change.
> >

> now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
> forcing updates when dependencies are not met!
>
> Stop using -f.
> > Thanks for your assistance.
> >
> > Myra
>

> --
> Ionuț
>
> Thats's why I didn't use -f and have quit using -f, why I don't think it
will solve every problem, why I ask for the proper procedure before I
borked my box, and why I asked about it being taken care of by an install
file. Lately I've seen several "user intervention needed" news postings and
assumed this might be one of those cases. I intentionally pointed out the
wrong way to do this, sorry if I offended you.

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Ionut Biru

On 12/18/2011 07:04 PM, Myra Nelson wrote:
>>> I realize I can complete the update by pacman -Suf or pacman -Rdd
>>> libgsf-gnome then install the libgsf update but would think this would be
>>> handled by an install file included with the package. I would prefer not
>>> bork my box so I thought I would ask first for a change.
>>>

>> now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
>> forcing updates when dependencies are not met!
>>
>> Stop using -f.
>>> Thanks for your assistance.
>>>
>>> Myra
>>

>> --
>> Ionuț
>>
> Thats's why I didn't use -f and have quit using -f, why I don't think it
> will solve every problem, why I ask for the proper procedure before I
> borked my box, and why I asked about it being taken care of by an install
> file. Lately I've seen several "user intervention needed" news postings and
> assumed this might be one of those cases. I intentionally pointed out the
> wrong way to do this, sorry if I offended you.
>
> Myra

No offense taken and I hope that my reply wasn't offensive.

I was only curios since I see a lot of our users using -f along with -Su
and with -Sdd lately and maybe our manual is not clear enough.

As for original problem, nothing in our repository depended on that
package and there wasn't any way to have it installed. But my logic
seems to be faulty.

--
Ionuț

Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Myra Nelson

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 17:39, Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org> wrote:

> be
> not
> >>>

> >> now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
> >> forcing updates when dependencies are not met!
> >>
> >> Stop using -f.

> >> --
> >> Ionuț
> >>
> > Thats's why I didn't use -f and have quit using -f, why I don't think it
> > will solve every problem, why I ask for the proper procedure before I
> > borked my box, and why I asked about it being taken care of by an install
> > file. Lately I've seen several "user intervention needed" news postings
> and
> > assumed this might be one of those cases. I intentionally pointed out the
> > wrong way to do this, sorry if I offended you.
> >
> > Myra
> >

> No offense taken and I hope that my reply wasn't offensive.
>
> I was only curios since I see a lot of our users using -f along with -Su
> and with -Sdd lately and maybe our manual is not clear enough.
>
> As for original problem, nothing in our repository depended on that
> package and there wasn't any way to have it installed. But my logic
> seems to be faulty.
>
> --
> Ionuț
>
> No offense taken, I just tend to shoot first and ask questions later. Your
logic is not necessarily faulty. Mine may be an edge case from me
destroying my pacman database and having to rebuild it about one year ago.
I'm still finding extra packages that I don't need installed, remains of
previously installed packges that don't show up with pacq, and if I run
pacman -Qdt and used the output to uninstall orphan packages I'm not sure
anything would work. I really need to do a complete reinstall but I've got
my box setup the way I like and laziness is also a factor.

The only time I've used -Rdd is when I was using nvida packages from the
AUR and had to remove everything to fix my screwup. I think to many people
take the easiest way out when trying to fix something and -f solves the
immediate problem. It took me awhile when I moved to Arch from crunchbang
to get used to the power available with Arch and how to use it properly.
The proper use is the key.

Clarifying the manual might help. If you don't mind I'll take a look at the
man page and see if I can make the necessary changes. I also wonder about
adding a message similar to the one that comes up when you try to run
pacman without su or sudo [ error: you cannot perform this operation unless
you are root. ] like [ warning: this option should only be used in extreme
cases and/or if you know what you're doing ].

Thanks for your assistance.

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Myra Nelson

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 18:46, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:

>> would be
>> not

>> > Thats's why I didn't use -f and have quit using -f, why I don't think it
>> > will solve every problem, why I ask for the proper procedure before I
>> > borked my box, and why I asked about it being taken care of by an
>> install
>> > file. Lately I've seen several "user intervention needed" news postings
>> and
>> > assumed this might be one of those cases. I intentionally pointed out
>> the
>> > wrong way to do this, sorry if I offended you.
>> >
>> > Myra
>> >

>> No offense taken and I hope that my reply wasn't offensive.
>>
>> I was only curios since I see a lot of our users using -f along with -Su
>> and with -Sdd lately and maybe our manual is not clear enough.
>>
>> As for original problem, nothing in our repository depended on that
>> package and there wasn't any way to have it installed. But my logic
>> seems to be faulty.
>>
>> --
>> Ionuț
>>
>> No offense taken, I just tend to shoot first and ask questions later.
> Your logic is not necessarily faulty. Mine may be an edge case from me
> destroying my pacman database and having to rebuild it about one year ago.
> I'm still finding extra packages that I don't need installed, remains of
> previously installed packges that don't show up with pacq, and if I run
> pacman -Qdt and used the output to uninstall orphan packages I'm not sure
> anything would work. I really need to do a complete reinstall but I've got
> my box setup the way I like and laziness is also a factor.
>
> The only time I've used -Rdd is when I was using nvida packages from the
> AUR and had to remove everything to fix my screwup. I think to many people
> take the easiest way out when trying to fix something and -f solves the
> immediate problem. It took me awhile when I moved to Arch from crunchbang
> to get used to the power available with Arch and how to use it properly.
> The proper use is the key.
>
> Clarifying the manual might help. If you don't mind I'll take a look at
> the man page and see if I can make the necessary changes. I also wonder
> about adding a message similar to the one that comes up when you try to run
> pacman without su or sudo [ error: you cannot perform this operation unless
> you are root. ] like [ warning: this option should only be used in extreme
> cases and/or if you know what you're doing ].
>
> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> Myra
>
> --
> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

Or possibly an admonition to read the recently updated wiki pages that
in-duh-viduals ( I'm guility ) don't do regularly.

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Myra Nelson

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 18:58, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 18:46, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
>

>> Clarifying the manual might help. If you don't mind I'll take a look at
>> the man page and see if I can make the necessary changes. I also wonder
>> about adding a message similar to the one that comes up when you try to run
>> pacman without su or sudo [ error: you cannot perform this operation unless
>> you are root. ] like [ warning: this option should only be used in extreme
>> cases and/or if you know what you're doing ].
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance.
>>
>> Myra
>>
>> --
>> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!
>>

> Or possibly an admonition to read the recently updated wiki pages that
> in-duh-viduals ( I'm guility ) don't do regularly.
>
> Myra
> --
> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

What is the proper procedure for sending a patch for the man pages? I've
done some work on pacman.8 to reflect some of the wiki changes. Also would
it be acceptable to include in the man page that the -f option has been
deprecated and shouldn't be used and do the same on the pacman wiki page?

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Karol Blazewicz

There's https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchWiki:Requests#Remove_-f_short_option_for_--force

Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Myra Nelson

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 21:08, Karol Blazewicz <karol.blazewicz@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net>
> wrote:
> > What is the proper procedure for sending a patch for the man pages? I've
> > done some work on pacman.8 to reflect some of the wiki changes. Also
> would
> > it be acceptable to include in the man page that the -f option has been
> > deprecated and shouldn't be used and do the same on the pacman wiki page?
>
> There's
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ArchWiki:Requests#Remove_-f_short_option_for_--force

Karol:

Thanks for the link. Not quite what I was referring to. From earlier in the
conversation:

> now, why do you think that -f will solve every problem? -f is not for
> forcing updates when dependencies are not met!
>
> Stop using -f.

> I was only curios since I see a lot of our users using -f along with -Su
> and with -Sdd lately and maybe our manual is not clear enough.

I meant adding/emphasizing a warning to the man pages and the wiki page
about the use of -f or --force.

Myra

Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
> Karol:
>
> Thanks for the link. Not quite what I was referring to.

Argh, you're right, sorry.
Let's try again ;P https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=124840

IMHO, writing "This option should be used with care, ideally not at
all" as pacman's man page says currently is enough.