Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Ionut Biru

Default Xmonad version?

On 12/17/2011 11:41 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> Haskell platform was released with the latest stable GHC (7.0.4 of course).
>
> Guys, what's happening with haskell support in Arch?
>
> Xmonad, and now GHC and lots of packages in the supported repos are
> not keeping update with upstream.

i vote for dropping xmonad and all packages to aur and let the community
handle them.

it seems we are not doing a great job at keeping them up to date.

--
Ionuț

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Ethan Schoonover

There was a recent Arch-Haskell thread about dumping most of AUR
Haskell packages:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html

As an end user, I effectively ignore the official Arch Haskell
packages as they are so far out of date. I'm also now trying to
disregard most of the AUR since I came across that thread. Haskell is
starting to feel fragile on Arch.

What about moving *all* Haskell related packages to the Haskell Arch
repo? All the Haskell Platform stuff, alex, happy, etc.

Ethan Schoonover
Github/Freenode: altercation - Solarized: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

Old 12-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 17/12/11 23:07, Ethan Schoonover wrote:
> There was a recent Arch-Haskell thread about dumping most of AUR
> Haskell packages:
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html
>
> As an end user, I effectively ignore the official Arch Haskell
> packages as they are so far out of date. I'm also now trying to
> disregard most of the AUR since I came across that thread. Haskell is
> starting to feel fragile on Arch.
>

> What about moving *all* Haskell related packages to the Haskell Arch
> repo? All the Haskell Platform stuff, alex, happy, etc.
>

> Ethan Schoonover
> Github/Freenode: altercation - Solarized: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized
>

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 13:44, Ionut Biru <biru.ionut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/17/2011 11:41 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>> Haskell platform was released with the latest stable GHC (7.0.4 of course).
>>>
>>> Guys, what's happening with haskell support in Arch?
>>>
>>> Xmonad, and now GHC and lots of packages in the supported repos are
>>> not keeping update with upstream.
>>
>> i vote for dropping xmonad and all packages to aur and let the community
>> handle them.
>>
>> it seems we are not doing a great job at keeping them up to date.
>>
>> --
>> Ionuț
Hi,

What are the real troubling haskell packages? Only GHC, haskell-platform
and XMonad?

I'll speak with Vesa about XMonad, i might be able to adopt it.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 18/12/11 09:53, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 17/12/11 23:07, Ethan Schoonover wrote:
>> There was a recent Arch-Haskell thread about dumping most of AUR
>> Haskell packages:
>> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html
>>
>> As an end user, I effectively ignore the official Arch Haskell
>> packages as they are so far out of date. I'm also now trying to
>> disregard most of the AUR since I came across that thread. Haskell is
>> starting to feel fragile on Arch.
>>

>> What about moving *all* Haskell related packages to the Haskell Arch
>> repo? All the Haskell Platform stuff, alex, happy, etc.
>>

>> Ethan Schoonover
>> Github/Freenode: altercation - Solarized: http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized

>>> i vote for dropping xmonad and all packages to aur and let the community
>>> handle them.
>>>
>>> it seems we are not doing a great job at keeping them up to date.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ionuț
> Hi,
>

> What are the real troubling haskell packages? Only GHC, haskell-platform
> and XMonad?
>
> I'll speak with Vesa about XMonad, i might be able to adopt it.

Btw adopted xmonad,xmonad-contrib, these packages will be updated today.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 12-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 18/12/11 11:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:31:09AM +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Btw adopted xmonad,xmonad-contrib, these packages will be updated today.
>
> Excellent, then I can stop building these for myself. Are you
> considering adding xmonad-extras too, or should I go ahead and add
> that to [haskell] instead?
>
> /M

Hmm didn't follow the mailing list about xmonad-extras. If it's easy to
build and doesn't need real strange dependencies I could add it. Does it
bring nice new features ?

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Norbert Zeh

Magnus Therning [2011.12.18 1148 +0100]:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 11:31:09AM +0100, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Btw adopted xmonad,xmonad-contrib, these packages will be updated today.
>
> Excellent, then I can stop building these for myself. Are you
> considering adding xmonad-extras too, or should I go ahead and add
> that to [haskell] instead?

I'm not sure whether you really want to stop building xmonad for yourself. With
new management upstream, things may change from here on, but in the past there
were very long intervals between official releases, so that most people ended up
running the latest development version from darcs. The good thing is that, in
spite of it being the development version, things hardly ever (in my case, not
at all over the last 2 years) break.

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 12-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Bernardo Barros

Just try to support Haskell Platform in extra/community. That's enough.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Ethan Schoonover

So is the current best practice for Haskell on Arch something like this:

0. Always prefer to source Haskell packages from official Arch repos
now that they are updated
1. Always add the [haskell] repo to pacman.conf
2. Always avoid AUR Haskell packages (they are mostly out of date)
3. Always avoid plain cabal, use cabal2arch instead
4. Only if a package isn't in official repos or [haskell], use
cabal2arch to create a package

I know that this may seem like oversimplification, but despite
following the various Haskell issues and lists closely I occasionally
come away confused about current recommendations, and I'm not sure
that the wiki is up to date on this issue.

Thanks for any guidance,

Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Cdric Girard

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Ethan Schoonover <es@ethanschoonover.com>wrote:

> 2. Always avoid AUR Haskell packages (they are mostly out of date)

I'm not sure about this. First I find this unrespectful to the people
spending time maintaining Haskell PKGBUILDs in the AUR (and I'm not saying
this before I do).
Second, my own experience lead me to disable [haskell] repository on my
computers because some packages were out of date but where picked before
AUR ones by the aur helper I use.

--
Cdric Girard

Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Ethan Schoonover

2011/12/20 Cdric Girard <girard.cedric@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Ethan Schoonover <es@ethanschoonover.com
> >wrote:
>
> > 2. Always avoid AUR Haskell packages (they are mostly out of date)
>
> I'm not sure about this. First I find this unrespectful to the people
> spending time maintaining Haskell PKGBUILDs in the AUR (and I'm not saying
> this before I do).

No disrespect intended; this comes directly from the arch-haskell mailing
list:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/arch-haskell/2011-November/001744.html

Their point is specifically that many AUR haskell packages are not at all
maintained. I'm sure there are some that are, but until this cull is
complete or a "whitelist" of AUR haskell packages shows up, I don't know
which AUR haskell packages those would be.

> Second, my own experience lead me to disable [haskell] repository on my
> computers because some packages were out of date but where picked before
> AUR ones by the aur helper I use.

Hence the confusion around this issue. If Haskell AUR packages are indeed
being deprecated then is [haskell] now more of a definitive source or is it
*also* not well maintained?

Take a look at that thread I link to in this mail, hopefully it will
clarify my inclusion of the avoid AUR position in the rough package
selection heuristic.

es