Old 12-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Alex Liu

Default - FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> *I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a small dell I
> moved into our TV console to use as a media center box. I installed a wireless
> usb adapter 'WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]' to join the box to
> our wireless network. The box dual-boots and works fine under xp, so after
> reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless and not finding
> the model in the kernel driver, I decided to try ndiswrapper. I have run into an
> issue that I'm stuck on.

First, have you tried the generic broadcom-wl driver instead of
ndiswrapper? It causes some problems sometimes, but in my experience
it is pretty much the easiest way to get a Broadcom card working that
is not in the kernel.
You can install it from AUR or build it yourself after downloading the
source from broadcom (there's a link in the wiki). You might have to
blacklist b43 and/or ssb because those can cause conflicts with the wl
module sometimes.

However, I found some similar issue on Ubuntu, which was a version
conflict problem. There was some older version of ndiswrapper in
Ubuntu's packet manager which was not compatible with the kernel, so
the fix was to manually install a newer version. Might be a long shot,
but if nothing works, you might try to install ndiswrapper-1.57rc1
instead of 1.56 (the version in pacman). I'm not sure if the 1.57rc1
is in the testing repos, but you can get it from SourceForge if not.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/files/

Tell me if anything of this works for you.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:05 PM
"David C. Rankin"

On 12/16/2011 10:40 PM, Alex Liu wrote:
> First, have you tried the generic broadcom-wl driver instead of
> ndiswrapper?
<snip>

> Tell me if anything of this works for you.

Alex,

Thanks, will do. The current xp drivers work fantastic, so I will try the
ndiswrapper avenue first. If I can get that going, then I think wpa_supplicant
should work fine for wpa authentication. Worse case, I have another wireless
router I could use as a repeater for the existing wireless and simply provide a
wired connection to the dell box from that:

-------- --------
--[net]-->|existing| >)) ((> |new |-- wired conn to dell -->
|wireless| |wireless|-- wired conn to TV -->
|router | |repeater|-- wired conn to bluray -->
-------- --------

I think the biggest issue right now is why ndiswrapper isn't working properly.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 AM
C Anthony Risinger

On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 2:05 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> *I think the biggest issue right now is why ndiswrapper isn't working properly.

this isn't a direct solution, but as i spent a great deal of time
recently-ish finding good (USB) wifi chips to use as APs and as a
client stations, it may be useful. if your still having issues, or
just want to ditch the trouble, i've used about 7-9 Atheros chips
recently and all have been rock solid. i'm using this one as we
"speak" (AP):

(TP-LINK TL-WN822N High Gain [300Mbps])
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704053

... and this one (client):

(TP-LINK TL-WN722N High Gain [150Mbps])
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

... each purchased at ~$12USD (on sale). i bought the 822 to replace
the 722, but both are good quality, and both are capable of
AP/client/etc (ath9k_htc module) ... depending on how valuable your
time is, could be worth the price ... definitely was for me :-)

http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN822N_v2
https://plus.google.com/photos/108503563222361035446/albums/5682381661343225009/5682129773951137874
^^^^^^ what i did with mine (pic shows 722, but 822 in use now :-)

--

C Anthony