Old 12-17-2011, 03:10 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Default - FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper

Guys,

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a small dell I
moved into our TV console to use as a media center box. I installed a wireless
usb adapter 'WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300 [Broadcom BCM43231]' to join the box to
our wireless network. The box dual-boots and works fine under xp, so after
reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Broadcom_wireless and not finding
the model in the kernel driver, I decided to try ndiswrapper. I have run into an
issue that I'm stuck on. Basically I get the following:

21:44 supersff:~/cnf> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. WNA3100(v1) Wireless-N 300
[Broadcom BCM43231]
<snip>

[21:39 supersff:/home/david/cnf/netgear/Netgear] # ndiswrapper -i bcmwlhigh5.inf
installing bcmwlhigh5 ...
[21:39 supersff:/home/david/cnf] # ndiswrapper -l
bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
device (0846:9020) present
[21:40 supersff:/home/david/cnf/netgear/Netgear] # depmod -a
[21:40 supersff:/home/david/cnf/netgear/Netgear] # modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper
(/lib/modules/3.1.5-1-ARCH/extramodules/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ndiswrapper/ndiswrapper.ko.gz):
Invalid argument

I'm not sure if this is a ndiswrapper problem, a modprobe issue or a driver
problem? ndiswrapper shows the driver installed, but for some reason it seems to
be choking on the compressed module and throwing the invalid argument error.
Anybody have any thoughts on this? I searched the bugs, but didn't find anything
on ndiswrapper or modprobe.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.