Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 AM
gt

Default Top Posting Revisited

Hello folks, i'll probably get flamed for reviving a very controversial,
yet consistently brought up topic.

I have seen a similar thread last year, and every other day, someone
points out to someone that top posting is bad.

I was off the list for a while, and now when i came back, the story is
still the same.

I know top posting is bad, and i too sometimes preach people to avoid
it. But from what i've seen, most of the times, people don't bother, or
simply don't know what's wrong.

Instead of having top-posting related mails in every thread, there
should be a better way out.

I suggest all of the top-posting haters should including one of these
links or similar in their signatures.

http://idallen.com/topposting.html

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Also, we can have a forum and mailing list etiquette drive for a few
days, with mention in the arch linux news, the mailing list, and setting
it as the topic in the irc channel also.

I know this is probably overkill, but it'll probably inform a lot more
people about these issues than some stray posts in every other thread.

PS: Since arch is always ahead of the other distros in adopting new
stuff and bringing about change, let's be the first ones to spread some
netiquette.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Calvin Morrison

On 15 December 2011 21:17, gt <codered12@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello folks, i'll probably get flamed for reviving a very controversial,
> yet consistently brought up topic.
>
> I have seen a similar thread last year, and every other day, someone
> points out to someone that top posting is bad.
>
> I was off the list for a while, and now when i came back, the story is
> still the same.
>
> I know top posting is bad, and i too sometimes preach people to avoid
> it. But from what i've seen, most of the times, people don't bother, or
> simply don't know what's wrong.
>
> Instead of having top-posting related mails in every thread, there
> should be a better way out.
>
> I suggest all of the top-posting haters should including one of these
> links or similar in their signatures.
>
> http://idallen.com/topposting.html
>
> http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html
>
> Also, we can have a forum and mailing list etiquette drive for a few
> days, with mention in the arch linux news, the mailing list, and setting
> it as the topic in the irc channel also.
>
> I know this is probably overkill, but it'll probably inform a lot more
> people about these issues than some stray posts in every other thread.
>
> PS: Since arch is always ahead of the other distros in adopting new
> stuff and bringing about change, let's be the first ones to spread some
> netiquette.

This so much.

I didn't understand top posting was bad for along time until someone
exploded at me. Now I realize what a jerk I was. A little bit of education
goes a LONG way.

:-)

Calvin Morrison