Old 12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Magnus Therning

Default Accented characters in X terminal?

I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). Instead
of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". Far from ideal. This
used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). As you
notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
writing this). Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?

A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
answer then I'll re-post it there too

/M

[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000

--
Magnus Therning * * * * * * * * * * *OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org * jabber: magnus@therning.org

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Rodrigo Amorim Bahiense

I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). Instead
of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". Far from ideal. This
used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). As you
notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
writing this). Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?

A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
answer then I'll re-post it there too

/M

[1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000

For some reason I couldn't have accents in any terminal under bash.
Switched to mksh and everything works since then. Just for the record I
use the urxvt (rxvt-unicode) terminal emulator.

--
Rodrigo

Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Mauro Santos

On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
> I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
> terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). Instead
> of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". Far from ideal. This
> used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). As you
> notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
> writing this). Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
>
> A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
> answer then I'll re-post it there too
>
> /M
>
> [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000

You will probably have to tweak your KEYMAP and CONSOLEFONT settings in
/etc/rc.conf. I remember that a while back I've changed it so I could
get accented characters in ttys, however I don't remember well if things
worked in terminal emulators but I think it did work fine (I use XFCE
and terminal as a terminal emulator). For the record I'm using and I've
always used bash.

For reference/example this is what I have in /etc/rc.conf
KEYMAP="pt-latin9 compose.latin1"
CONSOLEFONT="lat9v-16"

--
Mauro Santos

Old 12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Mauro Santos
<registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
>> terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). *Instead
>> of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". *Far from ideal. *This
>> used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). *As you
>> notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
>> writing this). *Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
>>
>> A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
>> answer then I'll re-post it there too
>>
>> /M
>>
>> [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000

Long shot here, but this could be ibus related. See

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Norbert Zeh

Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti [2011.12.14 1450 -0200]:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Mauro Santos
> <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
> >> I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
> >> terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). *Instead
> >> of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". *Far from ideal. *This
> >> used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). *As you
> >> notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
> >> writing this). *Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
> >>
> >> A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
> >> answer then I'll re-post it there too
> >>
> >> /M
> >>
> >> [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000
>
> Long shot here, but this could be ibus related. See

I can see the characters just fine in your email, and I'm reading this in mutt
running in an xterm. My situation is that I don't want to type any of these
characters but want them to display correctly. Following the information on

http://fedoraforums.org/form/archive/index.php/t-66116.html

and a few other google hits I've forgotten by now, I have the following in my
.Xdefaults to get these characters to display fine while not producing any
strange characters using e.g. Meta-A.

XTerm.utf8: 1
XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
XTerm*eightBitInput: false
XTerm*eightBitControl: false
XTerm*eightBitOutput: true

Look at the xterm manpage to see what these do. If you don't use xterm but
something else, I would suspect there are similar options you can set to get
this to work.

Cheers,
Norbert

Old 12-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Magnus Therning

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:21:20PM +0000, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
> > I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
> > terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). Instead
> > of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". Far from ideal. This
> > used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). As you
> > notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
> > writing this). Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
> >
> > A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
> > answer then I'll re-post it there too
> >
> > /M
> >
> > [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000
> >

> You will probably have to tweak your KEYMAP and CONSOLEFONT settings
> in /etc/rc.conf. I remember that a while back I've changed it so I
> could get accented characters in ttys, however I don't remember well
> if things worked in terminal emulators but I think it did work fine
> (I use XFCE and terminal as a terminal emulator). For the record I'm
> using and I've always used bash.
>
> For reference/example this is what I have in /etc/rc.conf
> KEYMAP="pt-latin9 compose.latin1"
> CONSOLEFONT="lat9v-16"

So, what has changed in the last few weeks that would make my old,
working configuration no longer work?

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay

Old 12-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Magnus Therning

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:12:03PM -0400, Norbert Zeh wrote:
> Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti [2011.12.14 1450 -0200]:
[...]
> I can see the characters just fine in your email, and I'm reading
> this in mutt running in an xterm. My situation is that I don't want
> to type any of these characters but want them to display correctly.
> Following the information on
>
> http://fedoraforums.org/form/archive/index.php/t-66116.html
>
> and a few other google hits I've forgotten by now, I have the
> following in my .Xdefaults to get these characters to display fine
> while not producing any strange characters using e.g. Meta-A.
>
> XTerm.utf8: 1
> XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
> XTerm*eightBitInput: false
> XTerm*eightBitControl: false
> XTerm*eightBitOutput: true
>
> Look at the xterm manpage to see what these do. If you don't use
> xterm but something else, I would suspect there are similar options
> you can set to get this to work.

As I mentioned, it _used_ to work in the terminals I have installed
(lxterminal & gnome-terminal). It did so without any particular
configuration. Now it has _stopped_ working in the terminals I have
installed, while it still works in other X programs (e.g. GTK stuff
like chromium).

Unfortunately it looks like I'm alone in this.

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org
twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus

I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can tell you I did not have
C++ in mind.
-- Alan Kay

Old 12-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Mauro Santos

On 14-12-2011 19:30, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 01:21:20PM +0000, Mauro Santos wrote:
>> On 14-12-2011 12:48, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>> I just noticed that I no longer get accented characters in my
>>> terminals (I've tested lxterminal and gnome-terminal so far). Instead
>>> of the Swedish characters "едц" I get "???". Far from ideal. This
>>> used to work a while ago (we're talking days, possibly weeks). As you
>>> notice it works well in non-terminals (like in Chromium where I've
>>> writing this). Anyone else seeing the same behaviour?
>>>
>>> A search turned up this answer-less forum post[1] , if there's an
>>> answer then I'll re-post it there too
>>>
>>> /M
>>>
>>> [1]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131000
>>>

>> You will probably have to tweak your KEYMAP and CONSOLEFONT settings
>> in /etc/rc.conf. I remember that a while back I've changed it so I
>> could get accented characters in ttys, however I don't remember well
>> if things worked in terminal emulators but I think it did work fine
>> (I use XFCE and terminal as a terminal emulator). For the record I'm
>> using and I've always used bash.
>>
>> For reference/example this is what I have in /etc/rc.conf
>> KEYMAP="pt-latin9 compose.latin1"
>> CONSOLEFONT="lat9v-16"
>
> So, what has changed in the last few weeks that would make my old,
> working configuration no longer work?
>
> /M

Thinking better about it, check your pacman logs for any font updates
and try setting the terminal emulator to use a different font, maybe to
a font that renders properly in other places like a text editor.

--
Mauro Santos

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Magnus Therning

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 21:07, Mauro Santos <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> Thinking better about it, check your pacman logs for any font updates
> and try setting the terminal emulator to use a different font, maybe to
> a font that renders properly in other places like a text editor.

There is nothing that stands out, and changing the font doesn't
improve things at all

I also tried logging into Gnome3 (using GDM) and then I do get the
accented characters, in both lxterminal and gnome-terminal.

/M

Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Mauro Santos

On 15-12-2011 08:51, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 21:07, Mauro Santos <registo.mailling@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Thinking better about it, check your pacman logs for any font updates
>> and try setting the terminal emulator to use a different font, maybe to
>> a font that renders properly in other places like a text editor.
>
> There is nothing that stands out, and changing the font doesn't
> improve things at all
>
> I also tried logging into Gnome3 (using GDM) and then I do get the
> accented characters, in both lxterminal and gnome-terminal.
>
> /M

The only thing that comes to mind now is that gnome3 is overriding (and
correctly setting) your keyboard layout. Maybe you can try 'setxkbmap
-query' and see if you spot any differences between the setup that works
and the one that doesn't.

--
Mauro Santos