Old 12-11-2011, 02:14 AM
gt

Default urxvt colours and Xresources

Hello folks

I have been facing this issue from a long time. The issue is that
sometimes the bold colours aren't loaded by urxvt.

I mainly use the terminals inside screen, and then the colours are
loaded properly (not always though). But when launching the terminal
standalone, the colours aren't loaded properly.

Here's the screenshot with normal colours:

http://ompldr.org/vYm9ucA

And when the problem occurs

http://ompldr.org/vYm9ubw

I have also attached my .Xresources and .xinitrc with the message.

Please if someone has a clue, then enlighten me.

Thanks

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! urxvt preferences !
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urxvt.termName: rxvt-256color
urxvt.loginShell: true
urxvt.scrollBar: false
urxvt.saveLines: 5000
urxvt.buffered: true
urxvt.cursorBlink: true
urxvt.urgentOnBell: true
urxvt.internalBorder: 0
urxvt.externalBorder: 0
urxvt.iso14755: false
urxvt.iso14755_52: false

! pseudo transparency
urxvt.transparent: true
urxvt.tintColor: white
urxvt.shading: 20

! xft settings
xft.dpi: 86
xft.hinting: true
xft.hintstyle: 3
xft.antialias: true
xft.rgba: rgb

! font settings
!urxvt.font: xft:monacoixelsize=13
urxvt.font: xft:dinaixelsize=18
urxvt.boldFont: xft:dina:boldixelsize=18

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
! colour preferences
urxvt.foreground: #EFEFEF
urxvt.background: #000000

! black/bright black
urxvt.color0: #222222
urxvt.color8: #000000

! red/bright red
urxvt.color1: #D71313
urxvt.color9: #FF0000

! green/bright green
urxvt.color2: #28BA26
urxvt.color10: #00FF00

! yellow/bright yellow
urxvt.color3: #FFA900
urxvt.color11: #FFFF00

! blue/bright blue
urxvt.color4: #0A77D3
urxvt.color12: #004BFF

! magenta/bright magenta
urxvt.color5: #A000A0
urxvt.color13: #E64CE6

! cyan/bright cyan
urxvt.color6: #0DAAAA
urxvt.color14: #01CCCC

! white/bright white
urxvt.color7: #EAEAEA
urxvt.color15: #FFFFFF
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

! extension settings
urxvt.perl-ext-common: default,url-select
urxvt.keysym.M-u: perl:url-select:select_next
urxvt.urlLauncher: opera
urxvt.underlineURLs: true
#!/bin/bash
##
## ~/.xinitrc
##
## Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)
##
#

# activate num lock
numlockx &

# set left-pointer
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr &

# set font path
xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/local/ &

# start unclutter
unclutter -idle 5 -noevents -root &

# start xbindkeys
xbindkeys &

# load xresources
xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

# set wallpaper (start feh)
sh ~/.fehbg &

# start terminal
urxvt_launch.sh &

# set window manager name (for java)
wmname LG3D &

# run conky
conky | while read -r; do xsetroot -name "$REPLY"; done &

# run autocutsel (synchronize clipboard buffers)
autocutsel -fork &
autocutsel -selection PRIMARY -fork &

# launch dwm
exec ~/bin/dwm-start.sh

Old 12-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:44:14AM +0530, gt wrote:
> I have been facing this issue from a long time. The issue is that
> sometimes the bold colours aren't loaded by urxvt.
>
> I mainly use the terminals inside screen, and then the colours are
> loaded properly (not always though). But when launching the terminal
> standalone, the colours aren't loaded properly.
>
> urxvt.termName: rxvt-256color

Have you tried to not to change the default termName?

I use urxvt and the bold fonts work for me (outside screen) with the
default one, `rxvt-unicode-256color'.

If I try yours, `rxvt-256color', it happens the same to me, no bold
fonts.

Regards
--
Ricardo (http://r.untroubled.be/)

Old 12-11-2011, 02:16 PM
gt

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 03:40:09PM +0100, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 08:44:14AM +0530, gt wrote:
> > I have been facing this issue from a long time. The issue is that
> > sometimes the bold colours aren't loaded by urxvt.
> >
> > I mainly use the terminals inside screen, and then the colours are
> > loaded properly (not always though). But when launching the terminal
> > standalone, the colours aren't loaded properly.
> >
> > urxvt.termName: rxvt-256color
>
> Have you tried to not to change the default termName?
>
> I use urxvt and the bold fonts work for me (outside screen) with the
> default one, `rxvt-unicode-256color'.
>
> If I try yours, `rxvt-256color', it happens the same to me, no bold
> fonts.

If i change the termName to rxvt-unicode-256color, it still doesn't
work. Moreover, screen then refuses to launch with the message

$TERM too long - sorry.

This was the reason i switched to rxvt-256color termName in the first
place.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
nico

Have you tried updating your machine? "$TERM too long - sorry" is a
quite old bug, which has already been fixed for several months.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
gt

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:20:08AM -0500, nico wrote:
> Have you tried updating your machine? "$TERM too long - sorry" is a
> quite old bug, which has already been fixed for several months.

Hmm.. I was using screen-vs from aur. Just switched to screen from
extra and this bug is gone.

But, setting termName to rxvt-unicode-256color in .Xresources still
doesn't have any effect on non-screen terminals, i.e., no bold colours
still.

But, i also notice a strange behaviour. I suspect this might have
something to do with just vim. I just tried these colour scheme scripts
and they do show bold colours.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdefaults#Color_scheme_scripts

Also, other applications such as cmus, mutt are also showing bold
colours in non screen terminals. Only vim seems to be having this
problem.

I am out of all ideas..

Old 12-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:54:22PM +0530, gt wrote:
> But, setting termName to rxvt-unicode-256color in .Xresources still
> doesn't have any effect on non-screen terminals, i.e., no bold colours
> still.

With urxvt, I don't specify the termName, it sets its default to
`rxvt-unicode-256color'. So, just to be sure, if you don't set manually
the termName, does improve the situation?

Regards
--
Ricardo (http://r.untroubled.be/)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
gt

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 06:30:52PM +0100, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:54:22PM +0530, gt wrote:
> > But, setting termName to rxvt-unicode-256color in .Xresources still
> > doesn't have any effect on non-screen terminals, i.e., no bold colours
> > still.
>
> With urxvt, I don't specify the termName, it sets its default to
> `rxvt-unicode-256color'. So, just to be sure, if you don't set manually
> the termName, does improve the situation?

No, removing termName from .Xresources doesn't change the scenario at
all.

Also, as you might have read in a previous mail of mine, i suspect that
this is mainly affecting vim, other terminals apps are able to display
bold colours in non-screen terminals.

But, why only vim is displaying this behaviour is beyond me. If it's of
any use, i am attaching my vimrc.

" An example for a vimrc file.
"
" Maintainer: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@vim.org>
" Last change: 2008 Jul 02
"
" To use it, copy it to
" for Unix and OS/2: ~/.vimrc
" for Amiga: s:.vimrc
" for MS-DOS and Win32: $VIM\_vimrc
" for OpenVMS: sys$login:.vimrc

" When started as "evim", evim.vim will already have done these settings.
if vrogname =~? "evim"
finish
endif

" Use Vim settings, rather then Vi settings (much better!).
" This must be first, because it changes other options as a side effect.
set nocompatible

" allow backspacing over everything in insert mode
set backspace=indent,eol,start

set history=50 " keep 50 lines of command line history
set ruler " show the cursor position all the time
set showcmd " display incomplete commands
set incsearch " do incremental searching

" For Win32 GUI: remove 't' flag from 'guioptions': no tearoff menu entries
" let &guioptions = substitute(&guioptions, "t", "", "g")

" Don't use Ex mode, use Q for formatting
map Q gq

" CTRL-U in insert mode deletes a lot. Use CTRL-G u to first break undo,
" so that you can undo CTRL-U after inserting a line break.
inoremap <C-U> <C-G>u<C-U>

" In many terminal emulators the mouse works just fine, thus enable it.
if has('mouse')
set mouse=a
endif

" Switch syntax highlighting on, when the terminal has colors
" Also switch on highlighting the last used search pattern.
if &t_Co > 2 || has("gui_running")
syntax on
set hlsearch
endif

" Only do this part when compiled with support for autocommands.
if has("autocmd")

" Enable file type detection.
" Use the default filetype settings, so that mail gets 'tw' set to 72,
" 'cindent' is on in C files, etc.
" Also load indent files, to automatically do language-dependent indenting.
filetype plugin indent on

" Put these in an autocmd group, so that we can delete them easily.
augroup vimrcEx
au!

" For all text files set 'textwidth' to 78 characters.
autocmd FileType text setlocal textwidth=78

" When editing a file, always jump to the last known cursor position.
" Don't do it when the position is invalid or when inside an event handler
" (happens when dropping a file on gvim).
" Also don't do it when the mark is in the first line, that is the default
" position when opening a file.
autocmd BufReadPost *
if line("'"") > 1 && line("'"") <= line("$") |
exe "normal! g`"" |
endif

augroup END

else

set autoindent " always set autoindenting on

endif " has("autocmd")

" Convenient command to see the difference between the current buffer and the
" file it was loaded from, thus the changes you made.
" Only define it when not defined already.
if !exists("iffOrig")
command DiffOrig vert new | set bt=nofile | r # | 0d_ | diffthis
| wincmd p | diffthis
endif

" My own settings

set shiftwidth=4
set tabstop=4
set ignorecase
" Set line numbering
set number

" Necessary for multiple encodings
set encoding=utf-8

" Common code for encodings
function! SetFileEncodings(encodings)
let b:myfileencodingsbak=&fileencodings
let &fileencodings=a:encodings
endfunction
function! RestoreFileEncodings()
let &fileencodings=b:myfileencodingsbak
unlet b:myfileencodingsbak
endfunction

" .NFO specific
au BufReadPre *.nfo call SetFileEncodings('cp437')|set ambiwidth=single
au BufReadPost *.nfo call RestoreFileEncodings()

" easy buffer switching
nnoremap <F2> :buffers<CR>:buffer<Space>

Old 12-12-2011, 12:04 PM
gt

Well, changing the termName to rxvt, has solved things for now. I know
it's not good to force termNames, but i didn't see any other solution
for now. Let's wait and see if this gives trouble or not.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Koen Wilde

On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 07:21:55 +0530, gt <codered12@gmail.com> wrote:
> But, why only vim is displaying this behaviour is beyond me. If it's of
> any use, i am attaching my vimrc.

Did you try a different (256-color) vim color scheme?

cheers,
Koen

Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 AM
gt

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 09:48:23PM +0100, Koen Wilde wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 07:21:55 +0530, gt <codered12@gmail.com> wrote:
> > But, why only vim is displaying this behaviour is beyond me. If it's of
> > any use, i am attaching my vimrc.
>
> Did you try a different (256-color) vim color scheme?

I tried a 256 colour scheme (inkpot) as you said, but it too didn't make
any difference.