Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM
clemens fischer

Default partition sizes and filesystems ( Install Arch in stages?)

Leonid Isaev wrote:

> I think it's a better idea to have either /var/lib or entire /var on
> reiserfs.
>
> / ext4 30Gb
> /var ext4 10Gb
> /boot ext4 100Mb
> /var/lib reiserfs 500Mb
> /home ext4 85Gb
> /tmp ext2 2Gb

Interesting! Why do you think that? Me, I used my ears to determine
the best filesystem for my workloads on the PC. Ext4 is the one with
least head movement: the disks stay silent for long periods of time,
then they have hectic fits and go quiet again.

Compare this with freebsd's UFS2+soft-updates, XFS and JFS. I didn't
dare to use ZFS on freebsd and I think I never tried reiserfs, fearing
it isn't on active development currently.

Oh, one other thing: my swap and home partitions are LUKS encrypted.
The swap uses etc/crypttab with a random key, the key for home is on an
USB dongle, so I can physically lock out people taking possession of the
PC by keeping that dongle safely stashed away some place.

clemens