Old 12-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Grant McDuling

Default myhost login

I have just gone through the new install process (3 times) and all seems to have gone well except when I take out the iso disc and reboot (having set the BIOS to boot from the hard drive) I am asked for my host login and password. I have the password OK as I do remember setting it during the config stage, but I don't remember setting a myhost name. I have tried leaving it blank and inserting the password but that doesn't work. Any ideas? I have looked through the instructions a few times and get no clues.

Grant McDuling
Writer

http://www.amazon.com/Grant-McDuling/e/B004UTH35M

Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 AM
"full-english@live.co.uk"

The day was 09/12/11 01:04 when , Grant McDuling had this to say......:

I have just gone through the new install process (3 times) and all seems to have gone well except when I take out the iso disc and reboot (having set the BIOS to boot from the hard drive) I am asked for my host login and password. I have the password OK as I do remember setting it during the config stage, but I don't remember setting a myhost name. I have tried leaving it blank and inserting the password but that doesn't work. Any ideas? I have looked through the instructions a few times and get no clues.

Grant McDuling
Writer

http://www.amazon.com/Grant-McDuling/e/B004UTH35M

The hostname is set in /etc/rc.conf

--
_
( ) ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Koen Wilde

Hey Grant,

The username matching the password you configured during installation is
'root'. The 'my host' part of 'my host login' refers to the hostname of
the machine (configured in /etc/rc.conf).

cheers,
Koen

Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 AM
"Ralf Mardorf"

The username matching the password you configured during installation is
'root'. The 'my host' part of 'my host login' refers to the hostname of
the machine (configured in /etc/rc.conf).

cheers,
Koen

+++

More precise: 'root' on Linux always is the name of the admin. You still need to add a user, since it's not very smart to run some apps with root permissions.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_Groups

Dunno if a user is automatically add, if you install a desktop environment, since I'm lazy and just made the basic install.If not you should add a user manually.

- Ralf

Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 09/12/11 06:50, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> [...]

You should always create a user manual and add the right groups.

--
Jelle van der Waa