Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

Default Top level node not shown in Texinfo viewer

Using the Texinfo standalone viewer, I found out that the top level node
is not shown with the command `info' as it should.

In Ubuntu seems to work fine with Texinfo 4.13, but here in Arch I don't
know if it is really a bug or what :-/

Anyone can see this top level node just executing `info'?

Thanks in advance.
--
Ricardo (http://r.untroubled.be/)

Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Magnus Therning

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:10:40PM +0100, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez wrote:
> Using the Texinfo standalone viewer, I found out that the top level node
> is not shown with the command `info' as it should.
>
> In Ubuntu seems to work fine with Texinfo 4.13, but here in Arch I don't
> know if it is really a bug or what :-/
>
> Anyone can see this top level node just executing `info'?

I see the same thing as you, ie nothing when executing `info'. Most
likely a bug. Have you reported it already?

/M

--
Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
-- Alan Kay

Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Allan McRae

On 09/12/11 07:53, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 08:10:40PM +0100, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez wrote:
>> Using the Texinfo standalone viewer, I found out that the top level node
>> is not shown with the command `info' as it should.
>>
>> In Ubuntu seems to work fine with Texinfo 4.13, but here in Arch I don't
>> know if it is really a bug or what :-/
>>
>> Anyone can see this top level node just executing `info'?
>
> I see the same thing as you, ie nothing when executing `info'. Most
> likely a bug. Have you reported it already?

It shows the top level node here...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:20:01AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>On 09/12/11 07:53, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I see the same thing as you, ie nothing when executing `info'. Most
>> likely a bug. Have you reported it already?

I didn't report in Arch nor upstream. I wanted to confirm the bug first.

> It shows the top level node here...

I did a fresh install with mkarchroot and I could reproduce the issue.

Here I uploaded my dir file and the strace output from info, where we
can see that /usr/share/info/dir is stated, opened, read and then
closed:

http://r.untroubled.be/private/dir
http://r.untroubled.be/private/info.trace

I compared the Ubuntu dir with the Arch dir and those files do not
present any relevant difference.

One silly question (I'm not an ABS expert), in the package sources I saw
defined in the file `texinfo.install':

infodir=usr/share/info

Does it matter the relative path?, in contrast to something like this:

infodir=/usr/share/info

Regards
--
Ricardo (http://r.untroubled.be/)

Old 12-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Allan McRae

On 09/12/11 10:56, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:20:01AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>> On 09/12/11 07:53, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>> I see the same thing as you, ie nothing when executing `info'. Most
>>> likely a bug. Have you reported it already?
>
> I didn't report in Arch nor upstream. I wanted to confirm the bug first.
>
>> It shows the top level node here...
>
> I did a fresh install with mkarchroot and I could reproduce the issue.
>
> Here I uploaded my dir file and the strace output from info, where we
> can see that /usr/share/info/dir is stated, opened, read and then
> closed:
>
> http://r.untroubled.be/private/dir
> http://r.untroubled.be/private/info.trace
>
> I compared the Ubuntu dir with the Arch dir and those files do not
> present any relevant difference.
>
> One silly question (I'm not an ABS expert), in the package sources I saw
> defined in the file `texinfo.install':
>
> infodir=usr/share/info
>
> Does it matter the relative path?, in contrast to something like this:
>
> infodir=/usr/share/info

That does not matter. In fact, without the leading slash is probably
more correct...

Old 12-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Allan McRae <allan@archlinux.org> wrote:

> > One silly question (I'm not an ABS expert), in the package sources I saw
> > defined in the file `texinfo.install':
> >
> > infodir=usr/share/info
> >
> > Does it matter the relative path?, in contrast to something like this:
> >
> > infodir=/usr/share/info
>
> That does not matter. In fact, without the leading slash is probably
> more correct...

I have compiled manually Texinfo from sources, and using this `info'
binary,
it works as expected, showing my /usr/share/info/dir.

The Texinfo package scripts are very simple, but I can't find the root of
the
cause there. I think something related to the environment where makepkg
is compiling is causing this but I can't found out what it is.

I checked and my /etc/makepkg.conf is the default one.

Regards
--
Ricardo

Old 12-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez

I found it.

The flag `-fstack-protector' in CFLAGS from /etc/makepkg.conf triggers
the issue, if I remove it `info' works properly.

I opened a bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27539

Regards