Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Thomas Bächler

Default netcfg pppoe 'error sending pppoe packet: Network is down'

Am 08.12.2011 09:19, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Hi
>
> if I run (as root, there anyway still is no user) 'netcfg pppoe' I get 'error sending/receiving pppoe packet: Network is down'.
> I never set up a wired pppoe connection manually before.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ralf
>
> PS: I've seen that there are 2 entries to edit and one might or might not be a typo. Perhaps I'm missing much more .
> root@PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/network.d/pppoe
> CONNECTION='ppp'
> INTERFACE=eth0
> PEER='provider'
> PPP_TIMEOUT=10

The problem here is that the 'eth0' interface is not up when pppd is
launched. This would be easily solved by running
ip link set eth0 up
before launching pppd, but netcfg doesn't know that. I always planned to
write a 'pppoe' target for netcfg, but never did.

I can't think of a good workaround right now, maybe someone else has an
idea.

> root@PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/ppp/peers/alice
> # /etc/ppp/peers/your_provider
>
> plugin rp-pppoe.so
> # rp_pppoe_ac 'your ac name'
> # rp_pppoe_service 'your service name'
>
> # network interface
> eth0
> # login name
> name "[snip]"
> usepeerdns
> persist
> # Uncomment this if you want to enable dial on demand
> #demand
> #idle 180
> defaultroute
> hide-password
> noauth

Seems fine.

> root@PartedMagic:/media/sda9# cat etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

You don't need pppoe.conf - you don't even need the rp-pppoe package.
You only need the ppp package and the peers/pap-secrets files as shown
above.

There is some more information in the HOWTO [1] I wrote years ago, but
much of it is outdated.

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPPoE_Setup_with_pppd

Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Cédric Girard

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> so the easiest way for me seems to install a DE with a GUI network manager.

I'm not sure network-manager is the way to go. When enabled it makes just
the configuration a nightmare because standard configuration file are
either ignored or replaced. When I'm on a machine with network-manager
trying to debug network problems, it is usually the first thing I disable.

However I have no better solution to offer as I've never setup pppoe
connections.

--
Cédric Girard

Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Javier Vasquez

On 12/8/11, Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 08.12.2011 09:19, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
>> Hi

> The problem here is that the 'eth0' interface is not up when pppd is
> launched. This would be easily solved by running
> ip link set eth0 up
> before launching pppd, but netcfg doesn't know that. I always planned to
> write a 'pppoe' target for netcfg, but never did.
>
> I can't think of a good workaround right now, maybe someone else has an
> idea.

There are different ways of doing things... I've used this (not for
the purpose of wireless of course but instead the one stated in here):

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg#Execute_commands_before.2Fafter_interface_u p.2Fdown

And it has worked... I've used as well with pppd instead of pppoe, similar to:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PPPoE_Setup_with_pppd

but using netcfg. At this moment I can't share any config though...

--
Javier.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 08.12.2011 16:05, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> Thank you Thomas
>
> so the easiest way for me seems to install a DE with a GUI network manager.
> IIUC 'pacman -U' would be the way to install downloaded packages.

You could first try this:
ip link set eth0 up
netcfg pppoe

This should work. As Javier pointed out below, you can put the 'ip'
command into a PRE_UP statement in your netcfg profile.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 12/10/11 at 12:31pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> today I've got some time for my Arch Linux. Thomas, your hint does the job. Parallel to your reply I found
> ifconfig eth0 up
> netcfg pppoe
> which does job too.

Just curious: I thought that netcfg raised eth0 itself?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 12.12.2011 15:58, schrieb Manolo Martínez:
> On 12/10/11 at 12:31pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> today I've got some time for my Arch Linux. Thomas, your hint does the job. Parallel to your reply I found
>> ifconfig eth0 up
>> netcfg pppoe
>> which does job too.
>>
> Just curious: I thought that netcfg raised eth0 itself?

No, netcfg is unaware that eth0 is needed. However, I wrote a pppoe
connection for netcfg the other day:

https://github.com/brain0/netcfg/commit/2ca1000cb43de71d95061d78cb2affe01590247a

It simplifies the configuration a lot and takes care of the little quirks.