Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Karol Blazewicz

Default Install Arch in stages?

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Grant McDuling
<mcduling@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi, I am new to Arch, being a Mint user until now. I have the iso on CD now and ready to install.
> Can I do this is stages or is it best to do the complete basic install in one sitting?

I suggest you set up everything and install just the base group + some
packages you really need from the get go. Reboot into a
fully-functional yet basic Arch system and use pacman to install any
other apps you need.

IIRC you have to set things up in one go - it should take a couple
minutes for setup (or more if you problems with simple stuff like your
network setup, time&date, partitioning) and another couple for
downloading and installing packages (assuming reasonable fast cpu and
Internet connection).

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 08.12.2011 10:21, schrieb Grant McDuling:
> Can I do this is stages or is it best to do the complete basic install in one sitting?

Well, probably you would like to install the basic packages and the
bootloader, so you can at least shutdown your computer and reboot right
into Arch at any given time. Its is absolutely possible to interrupt
before you have done the basic setup, however you would then have to
boot the live medium, mount your new environment and chroot into it.
It's possible, but it makes things more complicated.

After the basic setup you can do whatever you want to (install X,
ALSA/PulseAudio, your favorite desktop environment, ...) in as many
stages you need.

But it is probably a good advice to do some sort of documentation about
what you've installed and what modifications you've done. It is amazing
how fast you forget these details and after doing the research twice (or
even more often ) you will appreciate this kind of documentation very
much. Furthermore it will help you to keep track of what you've already
achieved/installed and what is still to do.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM
fredbezies

2011/12/8 Grant McDuling <mcduling@optusnet.com.au>:
> Hi, I am new to Arch, being a Mint user until now. I have the iso on CD now and ready to install. Can I do this is stages or is it best to do the complete basic install in one sitting?
>

> Grant McDuling
> Writer
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Grant-McDuling/e/B004UTH35M

Just install base + base-devel. After that, just follow this wiki :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

If you want gnome : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME

KDE : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE

Xfce : https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce

Archlinux wiki is really helpful

Good luck.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

Old 12-09-2011, 06:22 PM
clemens fischer

Grant McDuling wrote:

> Hi, I am new to Arch, being a Mint user until now. I have the iso on
> CD now and ready to install. Can I do this is stages or is it best to
> do the complete basic install in one sitting?

Regarding disk partitioning: Arch wants to have /usr on the same
partition as "/" (the root), as long as some programs needed around boot
time reside on /usr.

With my setup (which has no desktop environment), my disks would need
(spacewise):

/ + /usr ext4 9G
/opt ext4 9G
/boot ext2 1G
/var ext4 9G
/rest ext4 77G
/home ext4 9G

with plenty of room left. The numbers don't add up to eg. 250GB because
I keep several linux installations, one of which is a "hot spare" synced
daily _before_ doing "pacman -Su" to upgrade the main system.

What disk space do other people on this list need?

clemens

Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 20:22:09 +0100
clemens fischer <ino-news@spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:

> Grant McDuling wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am new to Arch, being a Mint user until now. I have the iso on
> > CD now and ready to install. Can I do this is stages or is it best to
> > do the complete basic install in one sitting?
>
> Regarding disk partitioning: Arch wants to have /usr on the same
> partition as "/" (the root), as long as some programs needed around boot
> time reside on /usr.
>
> With my setup (which has no desktop environment), my disks would need
> (spacewise):
>
> / + /usr ext4 9G
> /opt ext4 9G
> /boot ext2 1G
> /var ext4 9G
> /rest ext4 77G
> /home ext4 9G
>
> with plenty of room left. The numbers don't add up to eg. 250GB because
> I keep several linux installations, one of which is a "hot spare" synced
> daily _before_ doing "pacman -Su" to upgrade the main system.
>
> What disk space do other people on this list need?
>

> clemens

I think it's a better idea to have either /var/lib or entire /var on reiserfs.

/ ext4 30Gb
/var ext4 10Gb
/boot ext4 100Mb
/var/lib reiserfs 500Mb
/home ext4 85Gb
/tmp ext2 2Gb

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 AM
"Ralf Mardorf"

> Hi, I am new to Arch, being a Mint user until now. I have the iso on
> CD now and ready to install. Can I do this is stages or is it best to
> do the complete basic install in one sitting?

Regarding disk partitioning: Arch wants to have /usr on the same
partition as "/" (the root), as long as some programs needed around boot
time reside on /usr.

With my setup (which has no desktop environment), my disks would need
(spacewise):

/ + /usr ext4 9G
/opt ext4 9G
/boot ext2 1G
/var ext4 9G
/rest ext4 77G
/home ext4 9G

with plenty of room left. The numbers don't add up to eg. 250GB because
I keep several linux installations, one of which is a "hot spare" synced
daily _before_ doing "pacman -Su" to upgrade the main system.

What disk space do other people on this list need?

+++

Hi Clemens

I'm using one partition for all, in other words, I only have /. Usually I use around 30GiB for a Linux install, while the maximal usage is around 20GiB. Some times I'm using a separated partition for /home, but currently I'm not doing this anymore, since for data such as music productions I anyway use a separated partition.

If you e.g. are using a separated partition for /boot, than IMO it depends on how many kernels you usually keep. For testing and comparing real-time kernels and full preempted kernels with threadirqs set I might have between 2 and up to 8 kernels installed. Using just one partition for all IMO has the advantage, that the disk space can be used were it's needed.

2 Cents,

Ralf