Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
"Guillermo Leira"

Default Unbootable systems

I've just updated two computers that boot from external USB drives, and
now I get a

"Error: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device 'waiting 8
seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/296...etc"

I have tried to modify grub using by-id, just /dev/sdb1, but no way...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Guillermo Leira

Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM, Guillermo Leira <gleira@gleira.com> wrote:
> Any suggestions?

Search the forums.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Ionut Biru

On 12/04/2011 11:13 PM, Guillermo Leira wrote:
> I've just updated two computers that boot from external USB drives, and
> now I get a
>
> "Error: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device 'waiting 8
> seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/296...etc"
>
> I have tried to modify grub using by-id, just /dev/sdb1, but no way...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Guillermo Leira

get mkinitcpio from testing or append to your bootloader "quiet" option
to kernel line.

--
IonuČ›

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM