Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Default Fixing udev rules + udevd timeout error

Guys,

I have read https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26583 but I still have a question.
I have the file (/lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules) for an older version of
nut that contains:

<snip>
BUS!="usb", GOTO="nut-usbups_rules_end"
<snip>

LABEL="nut-usbups_rules_end"

What do I have to do to 'fix' the rule to get rid of the error regarding 'BUS'
no longer being recognized?

Also, nut (upsd) will start, but after a period of time it dies with the
following udevd error in the daemons.log file:

Nov 29 13:18:53 archangel udevd[451]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv
usb:v045Ep0040d0300dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip02' [696]

The error repeats continuously and I cannot kill the nut processes and make it
stop. It is like something gets stuck when the error gets thrown. Any thoughts?
Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Tom Gundersen

David,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:43 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
> *What do I have to do to 'fix' the rule to get rid of the error regarding 'BUS'
> no longer being recognized?

BUS should be replaced by SUBSYSTEM. See the notes for release 148 in
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=blob;f=NEWS;hb=HEAD

> *Also, nut (upsd) will start, but after a period of time it dies with the
> following udevd error in the daemons.log file:
>
> Nov 29 13:18:53 archangel udevd[451]: timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv
> usb:v045Ep0040d0300dc00dsc00dp00ic03isc01ip02' [696]

Udev is trying to insert the 'usbhid' module, but it hangs. Either the
alias is wrong, and your UPS should not use the usbhid module, or
there is some other kernel bug in that module. I suggest you take it
upstream, either to the kernel (preferably) or to the nut project.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Udev is trying to insert the 'usbhid' module, but it hangs. Either the
alias is wrong, and your UPS should not use the usbhid module, or
there is some other kernel bug in that module. I suggest you take it
upstream, either to the kernel (preferably) or to the nut project.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Thank you. It must be a kernel bug in linux-3.1.3-1, because this
Cyberpower ups does use hsbhid and it has worked fine with linux-3.1.2-1,
linux-3.1.1-1, etc... Is that a linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org type issue or a
arch/tpowa type issue?

Thank you also for the help with BUS.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Dec 1, 2011, at 22:22, "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/29/2011 02:18 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> Udev is trying to insert the 'usbhid' module, but it hangs. Either the
>> alias is wrong, and your UPS should not use the usbhid module, or
>> there is some other kernel bug in that module. I suggest you take it
>> upstream, either to the kernel (preferably) or to the nut project.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tom
>
> Tom,
>
> Thank you. It must be a kernel bug in linux-3.1.3-1, because this Cyberpower ups does use hsbhid and it has worked fine with linux-3.1.2-1, linux-3.1.1-1, etc... Is that a linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org type issue or a arch/tpowa type issue?

This is almost certainly upstream. I'd try googling it and checking bugzilla.kernel.org.

> Thank you also for the help with BUS.

No problem.

-t