Old 11-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Leonid Isaev

Default Mounting drives via nautilus stopped working after update.

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:49:04 +0530
Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, November 26, 2011, Clive Cooper wrote:

> I don't see any files that might be missing.

I think you are confused. gvfs has absolutely nothing to do with mounting. The
gdu thingie simply displays the icon in your file manager. To see if your
dbus and *kit are OK, try "udisks --mount /dev/your_dev_here". The volume
should be mounted under /media.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D

Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:47:12 -0600
Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:58, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:
>
> >> I'm experiencing the same problem and I use openbox, obdevicemenu,
> >> udisks, udiskie, and log in on tty0 then type startx. I plugged in a usb
> >> drive, couldn't mount it, then went to tty0 and found this error message:
> >>
> >> [ failed to mount /org/freedesktop/UDisks/dev/sdc1
> >> org.freedesktop.UDisks.Error.Permission.Denied Not Authorized ]
> >>
> >> There is also an error message on tty0 from thunar-volman which is
> >> exactly the same. I went through all the logs and can't find any mention of
> >> it anywhere. One of the things I haven't yet learned to do is capture the
> >> output on tty0 to another terminal so I have to go back and forth
> >> occassionally to find these things. Hope I got the wording right. Seems
> >> like it's an error associated with the latest udev update.
> >>
> >> Myra
> >>
> >> --
> >> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!
> >>

> > Meaculpa. It's a permission error but its with Udisks.
> >
> > su
> > password
> > udisks --mount /dev/xxxx /media/xxxx
> >
> > works fine.
> >
> > I have the requisite
> >
> > udiskie requires permission for the
> > org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount action. This is usually granted
> > in sessions launched with
> > ConsoleKit<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit>support. If
> > run outside a desktop manager with
> > ConsoleKit<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit> support,
> > the permission can be granted using
> > PolicyKit<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PolicyKit> by creating a
> > file called 10-udiskie.pkla in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d with
> > these contents:
> >
> > [udiskie]
> > Identity=unix-group:storage
> > Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount
> > ResultAny=yes
> >
> > This configuration allows all members of the storage group to run udiskie.
> > I've tried the .pkla file as above and with two additional lines
> >
> > ResultInactive=no
> > ResultActive=yes
> >
> > Seems as though it may be a permissions issue that's handled within a
> > desktop environment. I'm unable to check that without installing a desktop
> > environment. Time to readup on consolekit and polkit.
> >
> > Myra
> > --
> > Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!
> >

> The dangerous way
>
> place a file in /etc/polkit-1/nullbackend.conf
>
> 99-whatever-you-want-to-call-it.conf
> [Configuration]
> priority=1000
>
> sudo /usrlib/polkit-1/polkitd restart , then I restarted openbox. This
> disables policykit. I got the idea from the following mailing list
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal-commit/2009-February/004854.html.
> The name suggested for the files was 99-i-hate-policykit-conf

> [...]

None of your emails make sense to me. You should check whether your dbus is
running and you are connected to it (ck-list-sessions, ps -e u | grep dbus,
your .xinitrc). You don't need udiskie, pkla files, storage group, gvfs or
thunar-volman. Plain udisks from terminal should work if your ck-session is set
up correctly.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Leonid Isaev

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:49:21 -0600
Myra Nelson <myra.nelson@hughes.net> wrote:

> Leonid:
>
> The solution is on the wiki (
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc), I read it the other
> night, I didn't read far enough, and I applied the
> fix backwards because I didn't read the xfce manually page. It has to do
> with https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25031, for which you have a comment.
> I crafted my .xinitrc file like this
>
> [ numlockx &
> autocutsel -fork &
> autocutsel -selection PRIMARY -fork &
>
> # Source scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
> if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
> for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
> [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
> done
> unset f
> fi
> exec openbox-session ]
>
> Instead of like this:
>
> [ numlockx &
> autocutsel -fork &
> autocutsel -selection PRIMARY -fork &
>
> # Source scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
> #if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
> # for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
> # [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
> # done
> # unset f
> #fi
> exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session ]
>
> The first way udisks also fails for a normal user on the console. The
> second way everything works right. My bad. Meaculpa. Sorry for the noise.
>
> before change
>
> [myra@gandalf /media]:/usr/bin/ck-list-sessions | ps -e u | grep xinitrc
> myra 3680 0.0 0.0 15732 836 tty1 S+ 11:49 0:00 xinit
> /home/myra/.xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :0 -auth
> /tmp/serverauth.RnDioa9aqT
>
> after change
> [myra@gandalf ~]:/usr/bin/ck-list-sessions | ps -e u | grep xinitrc
> myra 1866 0.0 0.0 15732 832 tty1 S+ 16:24 0:00 xinit
> /home/myra/.xinitrc -- /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc :0 -auth
> /tmp/serverauth.ijpyBJwqre
>
> Myra

In any normal desktop, the job of the starter scripts is to setup the session by
calling dbus-launsh with appropriate arguments. However, openbox is quite
limited in this sense and does none of the above. That is why you need
dbus-launch in your .xinitrc. And that is also why the wiki is completely wrong.

Finally, why on earth did you pipe ck-list-sessions to ps??? I meant these as
separate commands. I just wanted to see whether you have dbus-launch running,
like this:

$ ps -e u | gr dbus
dbus 769 0.0 0.0 13124 1084 ? Ss 09:27 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system

lisaev 26173 0.0 0.0 20000 584 pts/0 S 09:38 0:00 dbus-launch --sh-syntax
--exit-with-session

lisaev 26174 0.0 0.0 13264 1304 ? Ss 09:38 0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork
--print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session