Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Damjan

Default Same on T520

On 25.11.2011 20:02, Michał Piotr Gawron wrote:
> I have identical symptoms after my recent upgrade, so I thought that
> I add my observations.
>
> I bought Lenovo T520 (90% intel based devices) and was migrating
> everything from old R61.
[ snip a list of problems ]

Did you try upgrading the BIOS first?
With new computers I always find necessary to upgrade the bios, since
bugs are found after they are on the market, and laptops sitting in
warehouses wont be upgraded.

After that try running memtest86 for a while… it might as well be faulty
RAM.

--
дамјан

Old 11-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Michał Piotr Gawron

On 26.11.2011 03:03, Damjan wrote:
> On 25.11.2011 20:02, Michał Piotr Gawron wrote:
>> I have identical symptoms after my recent upgrade, so I thought that
>> I add my observations.
>>
>> I bought Lenovo T520 (90% intel based devices) and was migrating
>> everything from old R61.
> [ snip a list of problems ]
>
> Did you try upgrading the BIOS first?
> With new computers I always find necessary to upgrade the bios, since
> bugs are found after they are on the market, and laptops sitting in
> warehouses wont be upgraded.
>
> After that try running memtest86 for a while… it might as well be faulty
> RAM.

I was running memtest for 10h, no errors found.

But I found out that when mouse starts jumping reloading the iwlagn
module helps. Of course networkmanager restarts my connections, but it
keeps Firefox running and I no longer see Firefox crashes.

I'm now running without iwlagn module and on external Linksys USB wifi
card. System seems stable.

As for BIOS, in fact it is pretty old (1.31 vs newest 1.34). I'll
upgrade it later and post results.

Thanks for the hints.

std::best_regards();
--
Michał Gawron

Old 11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Clive Cooper

2011/11/26 Michał Piotr Gawron <michal@gawron.name>:
> On 26.11.2011 03:03, Damjan wrote:
>> On 25.11.2011 20:02, Michał Piotr Gawron wrote:
>>> I have identical symptoms after my recent upgrade, so I thought that
>>> I add my observations.
>>>
>>> I bought Lenovo T520 (90% intel based devices) and was migrating
>>> everything from old R61.
>> [ snip a list of problems ]
>>
>> Did you try upgrading the BIOS first?
>> With new computers I always find necessary to upgrade the bios, since
>> bugs are found after they are on the market, and laptops sitting in
>> warehouses wont be upgraded.
>>
>> After that try running memtest86 for a while… it might as well be faulty
>> RAM.
>
> I was running memtest for 10h, no errors found.
>
> But I found out that when mouse starts jumping reloading the iwlagn
> module helps. Of course networkmanager restarts my connections, but it
> keeps Firefox running and I no longer see Firefox crashes.
>
> I'm now running without iwlagn module and on external Linksys USB wifi
> card. System seems stable.
>
> As for BIOS, in fact it is pretty old (1.31 vs newest 1.34). I'll
> upgrade it later and post results.
>
> Thanks for the hints.
>
> std::best_regards();
> --
> Michał Gawron

I have had the mouse jumping problem myself on various laptops and in
every case it was caused by not having installed xf86-input-synaptics.
Just thought it was worth a mention.

Clive
--
Infinity: A concept for those who cannot comprehend the big picture.

() Arch Linux - For movers and shakers. ()

Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Michał Piotr Gawron

On 26.11.2011 16:12, Clive Cooper wrote:
[…]
> I have had the mouse jumping problem myself on various laptops and in
> every case it was caused by not having installed xf86-input-synaptics.
> Just thought it was worth a mention.

I do have xf86-input-synaptics, but I disabled the touchpad it in BIOS. :-)

But now I'm pretty sure that it was iwlagn module that was causing me
all this trouble. I upgraded my BIOS and EC to the latest versions, but
only when I'm running on external USB Wifi my system is stable. Module
iwlagn must be unloaded. No crashes, no jumping mouse.

std::best_regards();
--
Michał Gawron

Old 11-26-2011, 06:26 PM
Clive Cooper

2011/11/26 Michał Piotr Gawron <michal@gawron.name>:
> On 26.11.2011 16:12, Clive Cooper wrote:
> […]
>> I have had the mouse jumping problem myself on various laptops and in
>> every case it was caused by not having installed xf86-input-synaptics.
>> Just thought it was worth a mention.
>
> I do have xf86-input-synaptics, but I disabled the touchpad it in BIOS. :-)
>
> But now I'm pretty sure that it was iwlagn module that was causing me
> all this trouble. I upgraded my BIOS and EC to the latest versions, but
> only when I'm running on external USB Wifi my system is stable. Module
> iwlagn must be unloaded. No crashes, no jumping mouse.
>
> std::best_regards();
> --
> Michał Gawron

I notice that iwlagn can be run in debug mode. May be of no use at all
but you could try...
sudo modprobe iwlagn debug=0x1000
... and see what kind of output you get from it.

Outside of that I am out of my depth here.

Clive