Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Karol Babioch

Default uname26 - Where is it?

Hi,

I've looked around for the last couple of weeks for a package providing
uname26 [1]. However I couldn't find such and in the mean time compiled
it for myself.

I've also searched for the appearance of uname26 in the forums and the
mailing lists and couldn't find that much about it.

So I'm wondering whether nobody of you was (and/or is) affected by the
kernel version scheme change, so that there is no need for you to have
this package?

As it is quite simple to get and compile this code, it wouldn't be that
much of a hassle to package it. However I'm not that much into
packaging, so I wouldn't like to do it, unless I have to.

I'm not asking anyone of you to do the packaging, and considering myself
to get into it (the whole Arch Build System), but I'm wondering why
nobody of you seems to have a need for it ?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 22.11.2011 19:12, schrieb Karol Babioch:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked around for the last couple of weeks for a package providing
> uname26 [1]. However I couldn't find such and in the mean time compiled
> it for myself.

$ setarch $(arch) --uname-2.6 uname -a
Linux evey 2.6.41-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 22:28:29 CET 2011
x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Karol Babioch <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've looked around for the last couple of weeks for a package providing
> uname26 [1]. However I couldn't find such and in the mean time compiled
> it for myself.
>
> I've also searched for the appearance of uname26 in the forums and the
> mailing lists and couldn't find that much about it.
>
> So I'm wondering whether nobody of you was (and/or is) affected by the
> kernel version scheme change, so that there is no need for you to have
> this package?
>
> As it is quite simple to get and compile this code, it wouldn't be that
> much of a hassle to package it. However I'm not that much into
> packaging, so I wouldn't like to do it, unless I have to.
>
> I'm not asking anyone of you to do the packaging, and considering myself
> to get into it (the whole Arch Build System), but I'm wondering why
> nobody of you seems to have a need for it ?
>
> Best regards,
> Karol Babioch

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25747 <- people complained
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=be27425dcc516fd08245b047ea5 7f83b8f6f0903
<- uname26 commit

Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 22.11.2011 19:24, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> $ setarch $(arch) --uname-2.6 uname -a
> Linux evey 2.6.41-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 22:28:29 CET 2011
> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

So this seems to mean that setarch makes uname26 quite useless. I
haven't realized that, so I'm sorry for my request in the first place.

Thanks for the fast replay anyway.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 22.11.2011 20:17, schrieb Karol Babioch:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.11.2011 19:24, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
>> $ setarch $(arch) --uname-2.6 uname -a
>> Linux evey 2.6.41-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 22:28:29 CET 2011
>> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>
> So this seems to mean that setarch makes uname26 quite useless. I
> haven't realized that, so I'm sorry for my request in the first place.
>
> Thanks for the fast replay anyway.

'setarch' also makes 'linux32' useless, yet it exists. Anyway, 'setarch'
can do it all.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Norbert Zeh

Thomas Bächler [2011.11.22 2045 +0100]:
> Am 22.11.2011 20:17, schrieb Karol Babioch:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am 22.11.2011 19:24, schrieb Thomas Bächler:
> >> $ setarch $(arch) --uname-2.6 uname -a
> >> Linux evey 2.6.41-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 11 22:28:29 CET 2011
> >> x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
> >
> > So this seems to mean that setarch makes uname26 quite useless. I
> > haven't realized that, so I'm sorry for my request in the first place.
> >
> > Thanks for the fast replay anyway.
>
> 'setarch' also makes 'linux32' useless, yet it exists. Anyway, 'setarch'
> can do it all.

Actually, I just checked: linux32 *is* setarch, at least now:

$ ls -l /usr/bin/linux32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Oct 20 07:55 /usr/bin/linux32 -> setarch

Cheers,
Norbert